The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What, INYO,is the Most simple recording software
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 10:26 am    

When I recorded my songs to Cassette, I just hit record, played the song, then played it back , and it was saved on tape.

I am looking for a software program that will record, save it to a playlist, then burn the CD of the playlist. I also want to copy them over to a MP3 confirguration for sending on the internet. I don't want to go to college again, to learn to use it. I would rather be playing my Steel Guitar!!

I wonder if you fellow members can tell me In Your Opinion, the most easy to use simple digital recording software that you have used. Thanks....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/
My Video made by Drew Haward
[URL=http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15HTML/013442.html/[/URL]

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 24 November 2006 at 11:07 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 3:52 pm    

www.goldwave.com is pretty good Al. Records very well and you can convert to many varied formats, including mp3. But it doesn't burn CDs.

I paid about $50 for GW back in '98 or '99.
www.audacity.com records, is more limited than GW, and it also does not burn. It's FREE. Shareware.

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 8:33 pm    

Chip-Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't really need a CD burner, as I have that capability.

I just want the simplest recording program. No bells and whistles. Is anyone using one that is working good, that you can give me your opinion. Thanks...al

------------------

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 9:03 pm    

Audacity is excellent.
I use it a lot for putting my vinyl collection onto the hard drive, then editing and burning to CD.

To record my own playing, be it guitar or steel, is no different than recording vinyl onto the hard drive.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2006 11:31 am    

Al, PowerTracks works great and is very compatible with Band in a Box.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2006 2:55 pm    

are we talking about multitrack recording? or just burning "songs" to a cd? I found Tracktion to be the easiest multitrack recording platform. you save your work as wave files, then import into itunes and burn cd or make mp3's. For burning cd's and mp3 conversion I just use itunes. Its free easy and well organized. NO multitrack DAW software is as easy as a cassette recorder, but some definetly have a steeper learning curve than others. Lets face it, if theres a computer involved, there will be something to learn and something to adjust and some kind of problem that needs to be worked out or tweaked.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2006 5:52 am    

Al this is a link Ben Jones sent me and, although I've not tried it yet, looks very basic and simple to use,,,like you,,,I don't want to approach recording as a new career,,,
http://www.mp3-recorder.net/mp3recorder/download.htm

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2006 6:58 am    

That mp3 recorder looks neat but I didnt send it to you Sonny, musta been someone else. Ive never seen that before. sorry.
I use mini disc for live recording. Tracktion for multitrack. itunes for burning and mp3 conversion. I am one of those folks who isnt too computer savy and I dont like complex systems for recording. I want to be able to push record and go without consulting a manual or thirty drop down menus and those programs allow me to do that and sound pretty good too.

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2006 8:19 am    

Richard and Andy thanks for the tips.

I do have Powertracks with BIAB but that big manual is something I hate to dig into.

Sonny-Your link program looks like a fairly simple one. I'll try it out...thanks..al

------------------

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2006 1:02 pm    

Since I have "Nero" which I use to burn CDs, I use the included "Nero Wave Editor" for recording stereo tracks. It's the easiest-to-understand program I tried and I have several recording programs.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2006 7:26 am    

,,,sorry 'bout that Ben,,,,It was Russ Little that deserves credit for that link. I'd like to know more about the mini disc recording too,,,is it something like a cassette, where you just push (maybe a liiittle bit more LOL) a button and go>????

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2006 8:54 am    

John-I have heard good things about Nero. But I don't have it.

Ben-Your idea of recording direct to Mini-disc sounds like a good one as I dont think you have to even open the computer. I know my Friend Fred Welch from Michigan nearby, records direct to a Disc Recorder without the computer and does well with it.
It is sort of like using a casstte recorder. Just hit record, finalize the disc and your done. But I don't have that kind of expensive equipment, and don't need the expense for what little home recording I do. Just a few for some of my friends.

In the next few weeks, I'll try out some of these ideas and let you guys know how I do with it..Thanks.....al
(edit for spelling)
------------------

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 08 October 2006 at 09:56 AM.]