The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  POCO- Pickin' Up The Pieces: MP3 ZB Content
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 7:37 am    

This is cut 1 Side A on the album that literally changed my life. I was never the same after hearing it. I had to know what made "that sound", and once I found out my destiny was fixed.

[url=http://www.dvanet.net/audio/Poco/POCO/01%20Pickin'%20Up%20the%20Pieces.mp3]Pickin' up the Pieces[/url](MP3 3.1MB) From the album of the same name. POCO. 1968

Rusty Young's stream of consciousness ZB PSG accompaniment and Jim Messina's Tele. Fantastic.

------------------
"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies™' !"

"Pickin' it 'old school' on the Pedizzle Stizzle"
1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: '69 Thinline Tele RI :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification

www.dvanet.net :: www.myspace.com/davevanalien :: zbcustom73@dvanet.net :: www.lasttrainhome.com
:: Where's dva playin'? Blog :: My Tribute to the Hot Club of America in Hi-Fi
::A Zumsteel Picture Gallery:: A ZBCustom Picture Gallery

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 04 December 2006 at 07:38 AM.]

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 6:33 pm    

I'm with you Dave!

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 7:59 pm    

I love this track, too. I have it in my ITunes. Ya, that zingy ZB is awesome. This sound and style is never too far from my thoughts when I'm playing my old Sho~Bud. Not quite as zingy, but close.

Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 11:29 pm    

Oh, yeah, I second that emotion.

Seeing and hearing Rusty play with Poco on TV was so cool (was it the Joey Bishop show?!) and the sound of his whip-crackin' attack and rock style really got my attention then. His single string work and minimum bar gliss is so crisp and clean, it fits the tunes just great!

Anybody ever write out any tabs for some of this 1st Poco album steel playing? I think Larry Bell has done some other really good tabs on Rusty Young solo and intros.

Anybody???

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 12:21 pm    

Great song.

Last week, I tried to figure out exactly what Rusty played... and was surprised how much of it is done low on the neck: the pocket at the 2nd fret (which includes the open position, bar off the neck).

I don't know... I just sort of assumed I would find that he played a lot of it off of the 7th or 14th fret. But that ZB is so thin and twangy, even at the 2nd fret using strings 8-6-5, it's still got lots of high-end twang.