The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New single release
Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 7:26 am    

My band The Smiths Brothers Band have been working real hard in the studio putting together an album which will be released somtime spring of 2006. We have just pre-released a single off the album called "You Are The One". You can preview the song at www.smithsbrothersband.com Please note that it is a sample and is set as background to the index page. Even with high speed internet it will take a little time to download.
Thanks everyone for your support and the knowledge that I have gained from the steel guitar forum.
Douglas Hudson

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 8:07 am    

Doug, I'm really anxious to hear all of your new CD. I know that you're really excited about it and I wish you all the best. Hope you sell a million copies!
Ray

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 8:48 am    

Congratulations on your efforts Doug. Sounds to me like your off to a great start.

Hope to see you soon.

Joy Wofford

Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 6:04 pm    

Douglas, you brothers sure do harmonize nicely! What a sweet sound you have together. Good luck on the release in the Spring, it must be really exciting.

Like your website, too.

Joy

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2005 7:23 am    

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and hearing the band "live". They are very good.
Doug, congratulations and lots of luck to you and the band... Keep in touch, my friend..... JD

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 6:17 am    

Thanks guys,
I just got back to work after opening for the Hot Apple Pie Band in Doolittle Mo. What a weekend! We are working so hard in the studio to put together something worth listening to. www.smithsbrothersband.com www.kansassteelguitarassociation.com

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 11:24 am    

Congrats, but $5 plus $2.99 shipping & handling seems pretty steep for a single. Good luck.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2005 11:38 pm    

Aw shucks Jim, I spent 5 bucks on pop corn at the movies last weekend and that was just for myself but of course I'm not trying to be negative against your post I just wanted to try to add a little perspective.

I'll bet these guys are spending a lot of hard earned daytime money on this Album/CD and thy are probably just trying to keep their wives off of their back LOL just kidding guys (smith brothers)

I listened to the mix on their website and liked it keep up the good work guys and Douglas keep up the steeling Smile

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 6:12 am    

Thanks everyone for your posts. Well I did a big booboo. I was contacted to send stuff for the steel guitar podcast and sent the unmixed undone version of the song. Boy what dummy. I thought I had deleted this from my harddrive! Oh well if you go to the site you will definatly hear a sample of the finished version of this song.
Douglas Hudson

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 4:40 pm    

I get your point, Bob, and I'm not trying to insult or put down the guys at all.

I think $5 for popcorn at a movie theater is an example of gouging at its worst. $5 for popcorn, about $3 for a large coke... they can only get away with it because they know they've got you, you're not going to leave the theater and go down the street to buy it at a better price, try to find another parking space at the theater and miss half the movie. The fact that we're all used to it by now doesn't excuse it or make it right.

I don't consider the band's pricing of their single at all comparable to that. Just that in my view it's a tad high for a single, when you add the single's price of $5 to $2.99 shipping, you've got $7.99 which to me is 8 bucks, and it's hard to believe it costs $2.99 to mail a single CD. I may be a little cheap, but I wouldn't pay $8 for a single from anyone, not even the best, most famous band you can think of, when the average new CD of 10-12 songs is around $12-$15. I believe it would be more fair if they want to keep the CD price at $5, to drop the shipping price to around $1.00.

It's only my opinion and they are welcome to do whatever they want.

All I'm saying is that $8 for a single from an unknown band seems like a lot to me. Nothing against the band, I'm sure they're all great guys and their recording sounds good. I have a friend who I've even played with, sells his CD from his website for $20. I don't know how many (if any) he's sold for that price. I think it's ridiculous. He's a great guy too. I still think his price is too high.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 28 November 2005 at 05:15 PM.]

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 7:11 am    

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is what makes life interesting. I agree that $8.00 is a might high for a single. I wish I was rich so I could just pay for the whole album, all the post production, distribution, kickbacks for the songs getting played, but alas I am a poor boy. It has taken everything that I have to actually afford to be able to play again since the unfortunate loss of my Zum steel guitar and a nashville 1000 amp in march of this year. Yes here is the sob story!!! This is not only my loss. My band as a whole lost approx. 15000 dollars in equipment that has never turned back up. What we are using now is ragtag stuff just to get us by till hopefully we can afford at least new pa speakers. About 2 years ago I just happened to run into the Smiths. I have been accepted as part of their family. I can proudly say I am their brother and I wouldnt have it any other way. Our family is the same as we as steel players have become a family. I covet both and will do anything I can to protect either. We play music because of our love for music. Yes we do get to party, but ultimatly we play because we love music.
Nothing is easy these days, not for anyone, everyone has their own problems.
What I am saying mainly that yes I agree that the single is a bit high. So what do you guys think should be the price of a single? Lets get some feedback please!
Thanks
Douglas Hudson

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 7:21 am    

Doug, I didn't know you lost your Zum and other things.... I remember that Zum, it was beautiful.... if it's any consolation, you sound great on the Dekley you played in the recording, it has a great tone, couldn't ask for better tone IMHO. Still I know what it's like having equipment stolen, I've had 3 excellent guitars stolen and it stinks.

As for the cost of the single, I can't even tell you what the perfect price would be, but I'm sure someone can. Another thing you might look into, is setting up the webpage to sell downloads of the single in mp3 format, usually for a bit less than the sale price of a CD. This can easily be setup with Paypal, if you feel like setting up a Paypal Store account there.

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 8:50 am    

Thanks Jim. Ya it really sucks. I miss it but I have been able to move on with the help of God and many many brothers in steel guitar. By the way if any of you have never heard Jim play guitar or steel guitar you have missed a treat. Man he can pick! That is a good idea on the mp3 download thing. I already have an account so that would'nt be so hard to do.
Douglas Hudson

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 11:34 am    

Ok here is the link to another website http://www1.bandspace.com/bands/23283/index.php
This link will get you to us and you can download the song for $0.75
Thanks Jim
Douglas Hudson