The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mooney influence
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2005 5:04 am    

I just posted a vocal on my website,"Lately",by Norm Owens. It was recorded in 1961. I was 24 years old,playing my first pedal steel (Fender 400) which I had only been playing about one year. I was told to sound differently than Ralph Mooney because Ralph was playing all the west coast sessions and Norm wanted something a little bit different for a change.
Although it is a different sound than Moons sound, I still hear his influence shining through. My tuning was exactly the same as Ralphs, because he showed me his tuning when I got that Fender 400 and I didn't know any other way to set it up. The amp was a Fender Bassman w/4,10" Jensens.
btw..... Ralph was playing rythmn guitar on the session. He pulled a chair up and sat about 3 feet from the front of my steel, facing me and watching every move. Needless to say, this young man was more than a little bit nervous.
Give a listen to a little west coast nostalgia.....JD

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2005 10:49 am    

John, that's amazing for one year, it's good. And there is a Mooney influence, which is not a bad thing at all. Good singer too.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2005 2:57 pm    

Hi John< that was great. If you were trying not to sound like Ralph I think you missed the mark.I can hear it , but its not a bad thing, its a good thing. Going back to your site and check out the rest. Thanks

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 4:25 am    

What a cool little slice of history.
Dang, John, you're older than me -- and THAT'S OLD.

Great early west coast style playing. I love the sound of a Fender steel guitar.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 8:14 am    

Guys, Be certain that you know I love Ralphs pickin. I did play like him at the time and he was a personal friend. Pete Drake had just introduced a new sound at the time. I was playing a mixture of Moon and Pete,which Norm Owens called my "dooee-dooee" sound.
Maybe I should add,for those who are familier with the west coast musicians of that era... When I was playing then, I was aka Johnny Dee. Musicians on that session included: Piano by Clyde Griffin, Lead guitar by Gene Davis.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar