The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Locations to play???
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 5:07 pm    

Where are the best places in the country for bands with steel??

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 4:43 am    

I would have to say Texas if I were guessing, and I am.

Rick

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 9:38 am    

Thats what i thought. Thanks

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2006 6:21 am    

Hi Gary, this is just my thoughts and they are not backed up with any research except 30 years of playing all over this ole country.

It seems any place other than Nashville is a good place to start LOL. Well any way I have noticed that in the rural areas like in the midwest in the smaller areas one could could make a pretty good living if you want to play weekends. Now I just mentioned the midwest because I have several friends that do real well playing Moose clubs and VFW's and Eagles and on and on.

They play every weekend and usually seem to make any where from 75.00 to 125.00 a man per night for a 4 piece band. So if you played 3 nights a week at 100.00 bucks a night that puts a few bucks in your pocket and leaves the whole work week to do a day job or what ever you want.

I think the whole midwest and south would be a good place to do gig's of that nature and possibly the east. Now before someone comes back and says well we work in Indiana at those clubs and only make 40 bucks per man. Well I know that happens but usually that's because the bands have 7 or 8 pieces in them with a rhythm playing front man that usually makes more than the rest of the band.

I also know that there are plenty of clubs that just don't have a budget to pay a 4 piece band 100.00 bucks per man so my buddies try to stay away from those clubs and play the more lucrative gigs where they don't depend on the door to pay the band or even to break even on music nights.

I know a lot of clubs have an intertainment budget and the don't plan nor do they care about breaking even on the music they just want to have a nice place for their members to come and dance so with that being noted I think you could do well to stay in the private membership clubs to make your money.

I guess things are different all over so before you move to a rural area and try to make your riches I'd check with those local clubs and see what they are paying now days.

I also know that most people can't live on 300.00 bucks a week so either have a sugar mama or a day job and you can live very nicely with a 300.00 dollar extra income boost :-)

Big Bob

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2006 1:23 pm    

Big Bob, What area did you say the Sugar MOMMAS was in????????????????? I had to say that.