The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Caldwell/Chalker CD
Jimmy Queen

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 9:41 pm    

Wanted to let everyone know about Bobby Caldwell's new Cd featuring Curly Chalker. It was just completed. It's a remix of a recording from th 70's. Check it out at www.bobbycaldwell.net

(website designed by Starla Queen)

[This message was edited by Jimmy Queen on 29 December 2004 at 09:42 PM.]

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 7:48 am    

Jimmy...
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered it.
I have been a big fan of Chalker and Caldwell for years, and I am looking forward to this CD.

Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 11:16 am    

Anyone interested in C Chalker, or even steel guitar, for that matter, should have this stuff. It's incredible!

Curlys performances on these sets are absolutely stunning, not to mention Bobby Caldwell.

'Lazy River', in particular, is 'worth the price of admission', with Curly and Bobby musically 'egging each other on' at every twist and turn, making it a 'wild romp' leaving you feel like you just got off the roller-coaster ride!

Most of the playing takes place in the confines of Scottys Music Store, and by virtue of not being in a 'formal recording studio', Curly is quite uninhibited in his playing and you'll hear him play many ideas not on his 'formal' record albums.
Actually out of all the songs here on this set, only Long Black Limousine has been on an album - but the way he performs it here, he 'really' stretches out with it.

Having worked with Scotty for over twenty years, I've been 'privvy' to this recording since it was initially performed, and have listened to it often, never getting tired of hearing it again.

I'm glad to see it put into CD form and made available to everyone.
A big thanks to Bobby for 'seeing it thru'.
~Russ

PS - Uh, lemme know when the
'Tab Book'is available -

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2004 5:58 am    

Bobby's website is nice too. It was a lot of fun looking at the picture gallery, my how people change as we age. I especially liked the picture of Bobby and Howard Roberts, my two favorite guitar players together. Man I would like to have a recording of that jam session.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 11:04 am    

Jimmy, let me add my thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have know of it otherwise. Got my copy today and played it three times already. Fantastic! A must have for Curly fans!!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 3:42 pm    

Got my copies yesterday. I am amazed at Curly's cuts on Mansion on a Hill and Long Black Limo. He didn't play a lot of E9th but it wasn't because he couldn't. I have always loved his C6th arrangement on Mansion but the E9th version is simply awesome. Great stuff.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 11:50 pm    

Having been in possesion of most of this session since '74, thanks to Scotty, I thought I was getting a CD of the same stuff. That was fine with me but I didn't have the last three tunes and they are the capstone of the entire project.
When they say Curly was at his best, they weren't kidding. It's not what he does, that makes him top drawer, but how he does it. His tonal character in his chords is unmatched by anyone. We play the same chords but it doesn't come out the same.
What a piece of history, worthy of keeping this in our archives.
Thanks to Bobby for sharing this. Billy and Russ both, know how much I place Curly at the top of my list.
Not only that, but Curly was my favorite Stooge, hahaha.

[This message was edited by Gary Walker on 19 January 2005 at 11:54 PM.]