The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Lessons
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 3:09 pm    

Hey guys and gals, listen up. This is a great deal for new players or even if you've been playing for a while and want to improve.

During Sep & Oct you can learn to play the right way for only $100.00 for an entire day,(8 hrs) of lessons. Lessons include, right & left hand techniques, the number system,reading tab,single note scales, harmony note scales,working with rythm tracks, and even "GUITAR MAINTENANCE".

Anyone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area can and will benefit from this experience.

This course gets you started in the right direction and the correct way. You may have bad habits that your not even aware of. These habits need to go away.

Just bring your guitar and volume pedal and get on your way to better, correct playing habits. You can bring your audio recorder and take the knowledge home with you. Please, no video recorders.

Lessons also available by the hour Tues. thru Sun.

Call STUDIO STEEL @ 972-783-1802 OR 214-454-6401

I know this man personally and he happens to be my best friend and fellow musician. He has 30 yrs playing experience and can and will pass his knowledge on to you.

Thanks

Jeff "PLUMB COUNTRY" Coffell

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 11 September 2004 at 09:19 AM.]

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2004 7:19 am    

BUMPERRRUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT.

JC

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 3:34 pm    

Bump Please!!!!!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 8:40 pm    

Jeff, there might be more response if you were to reveal the teacher's name. Sounds a little "mysterious" to me, if ya know what I mean...
Cheers,
Jimbeaux

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2004 6:41 pm    

Well, I tried your e-mail and couldn't get any response.

I'm really surprised that you would think this was anything other than strictly on the level.

You see, many people who are great players and have many years experience don't have an ego the size of Dallas and don't want their name in the spotlight.

I have done business on this forum and am well known by most of the people here and I don't think anyone will tell you that I've ever mislead anyone.

I take this as a personal insult. Maybe I'm having a bad day and will look at it in another way tomorrow,"although I really doubt it"

His name is SKEETER BLACK. I know that anyone in the steel playing community will not have anything bad to say about him either. He is very well known and respected, not only in the DFW area but pretty well all over the states. He was a great player when most of us were still pissin our pants. GET MY DRIFT??????????

By the way, I got a phone call from Skeeter today and he was very upset, to say the least when he read this post.

I've always felt this way. If I do anything, with a clear conscience, I really don't give a damn what you or anyone else thinks.

Jeff "PLUMB COUNTRY" Coffell

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 15 September 2004 at 07:49 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2004 7:07 pm    

I found Mr. Black's name by putting his phone number in Google when you first posted a similar ad a month or two ago. I agree with Jim Cohen that it seems odd to go into such great details about his knowledge and teaching skills, and not include his name in the ad. It's even more odd that you're upset about someone asking for his name.

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 4:23 am    

So you just assume that if someone's name is not on an ad that it is automatically a SCAM.

I don't think Sam Walton's name was ever on the front of a Wal Mart Store.

Same thing. Sam kept his ego in his pocket as does SKEETER BLACK.

JC

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 16 September 2004 at 05:24 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 4:41 am    

Lighten up, Jeff. Get real for a minute.

It's not about ego, it's about information. The more you tell, the more you sell. If you ask someone to spend $100 and travel to Dallas, a reasonable question they might ask is "who will be teaching?"

Skeeter is a fine player I've known for years. I would recommend him in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't suggest to a student of mine that he travel to Dallas for a "mystery teacher" who could conceivably not be as good as the student.

The Wal-Mart analogy is bogus. First, it IS Sam Walton's name up there, or part of it anyway, though Sam's ego isn't the issue. If someone wants a Waring Blender and calls Wal-Mart to ask if they have it in stock, are they accusing Wal-Mart of "scamming" them, or are they seeking information before they travel to the store?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 16 September 2004 at 05:51 AM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 5:23 am    

Jeff, I certainly meant no insult to you or to Skeeter! I just thought it rather odd that someone would encourage people to come take lessons from an unnamed person, especially when that person has a great reputation as Skeeter does! And, like Herb suggests, you're much more likely to attract students if you tell people who the teacher is! That's all I was trying to say in my original post. I didn't think it wasn't "on the level" or a "scam", Jeff. I just thought it was "weird"... And if I inadvertently insulted you or Skeeter, I do apologize.

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 16 September 2004 at 06:26 AM.]

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 2:41 pm    

No problem Jim. Your a big man to stand up and say your sorry. Skeeter is a very private person and really don't want anyone to think that he thinks he's a big deal or trying to act like a pro or. Well you get my drift. He asked me not to put his name on the forum so I didn't.

No hard feelings on my part.

Herb.

I own and operate two businesses here in Killeen/Bell County TX and my name is not on either one of them. It's common practice to not put you name UP FRONT, ON TOP, ETC..... I guess we can all see this in different ways, pro and con. I simply did it the way Skeeter asked me to do it. Ya know. I bet if someone called the # posted before they drove to D for an 8 hr. lesson, I bet they would know who was about to teach them.

I worked for Wal Mart and Sam Walton was exactly this way also. Some of your biggest most successful businessmen and women are this way. Bill Gates????????????

I can see it both ways I guess.

Thanks for the comments

JC

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 16 September 2004 at 06:26 PM.]

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 5:37 pm    

I hope this little discussion has not harmed Skeeter.

The short of it is. Skeeter is a GREAT PLAYER and a down right good person. Our differences of opinion should not take away fron his right and ability to teach what he absolutley Loves.

This is a man that has driven 300 miles round trip to my house to work with me on my playing. He wouldn't even take gas money.

As a matter of fact. He has done so much to promote steel guitar, he should be given an award. I don't mean that he is promoting SKEETER BLACK. He Loves the instrument and promotes it in every way with not a selfish ,greedy, egotistical,bone in his body. I know of two students who were taught, free of charge last week just because he though he inconvienced them when his little dog was having a surgery the week before. Just one very small example of the kind of person we are talking about.

He's got my vote in anything he ever wishes to do. This is not just me, there are many others who feel the same and will back up everything I've been saying.

Damn, didn't mean to ramble on and on and on and on.

Thanks for all the comments

JC

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 7:25 pm    

How could this discussion have possibly harmed Skeeter? Everything said about him has been completely positive!

------------------

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 16 September 2004 at 10:05 PM.]

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 7:31 pm    

With all due respect, but who is Skeeter Black? I've never heard of him. Just curious to learn about other players. Thanks.

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2004 3:52 pm    

Herb

Go play your guitar. This conversation is getting way above your head. HAHAHHHA!!!

Just kiddin my friend.

Thanks

JC

Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 10:34 am    

To much anger here I think I will pass on this one

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 12:24 am    

rr

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 1:17 am    

The only one who has cast a dark shadow on this teaching offer, is you, Jeff.
Instead of dealing with the rational arguments set forth by amongst others mssrs, Cohen and Steiner in an adult way, you demonstrate the hurt ego of a psychologically hurt child. Were you always suspected of having done bad things as a child?
Or - now - are there someone close to you who always put you under stressful scrutiny?

And now, before you again start stomping your feet and feel wrongfully attacked and suspected of dark deeds, consider this:
Jim Cohen very intelligently pointed out that the whole teaching deal seemed mysterious. And of course that is how it came across to all of us reading it. Was it a big name player wanting to practice teaching? Was it a broke steel player needing to pick up some extra bucks? And why wouldn´t this steel player want his name revealed? Is it embarassing to teach?
Why not spell out in clear writing that the steel teacher in question did not want his name revealed for whatever reason, but that you would be happy to give his name out if called on the provided phone number. Then you would have taken the whole mystery out of this case.

Your WalMart analogy is also way off.
Herb Steiner pointed this out to you in a very clear way, but again, your hurt ego got in the way.
If you invest time and money in going to a city to be taught steel guitar, you want to know what you are getting. As a consumer you want to have advance knowledge of the product you´re buying.
Here - for lack of information - you might conceivably find yourself with a teacher who knew less than yourself!
Herb Steiner has recommended your teacher friend, but the principle stands, Jeff.

When two well respected and intelligent steel stars as mssrs. Cohen and Steiner both point out the error of your ways in such a very magnanimous manner, you should take it to heart, Jeff.
This is not about the teaching deal or your teacher friend, this is about you, Jeff, and your way of dealing with human transactions.
And I´m afraid that it is you who is in way over your head.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 5:15 am    

I'm glad Sam Walton's ego was in his pocket. I now know that "SAM'S CLUB" was named after some OTHER guy named Sam.

------------------

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:39 pm    

You got me there Herb.

I actually think the dude from Norway thinks we are in a bitter dispute here.

You see, we can openly discuss and argue about our differences and still be friends at the end of the day. It's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. We're all friends here ya know.

What a wonderful UNITED STATES OF AMERICA we live in.

Jeff

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:44 pm    

I just read the Norway post again. I'm hurt. I'm gonna go to my pickin room and cry in my beer for a while.

Guess I'm not a big time, well respected picker.

Maybe I was abused as a child. That's what I'm reading between the lines anyway.

What a DAMN JOKE.

JC

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 4:48 pm    

Oh I forgot. Bump this to the top for a great teacher and down right goold old boy.

JC