The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pig in a Poke
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 6:30 pm    

Let's try and be fair about the way things get sold on here, gang. I am starting to be a little miffed that on most sales you get first shot if you send the first mail, then the items you get first shot at get sold out from under you before you get a chance. Especially when the seller has made no effort to describe the item. Be fair about it, as the seller you have a responsibility to other members to sell items fairly. I would like a shot at stuff once in a while too, ya know?
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

------------------
Sierra S8, Gibson GA30RVT, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro heavily modified, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, pyrex and bakelite bars

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 7:13 pm    

I thought this was a for sale section.

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 7:46 pm    

If It is a Floor Mounted Pedal I Might Be Interested Is What you Wrote. It Was A pedal board mount so I didnt think you were interested.Sorry Randy Gilliam

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 8:31 pm    

Wasn't you, Randy- You were prompt in letting me know and I appreciate it.

------------------
Sierra S8, Gibson GA30RVT, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro heavily modified, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, pyrex and bakelite bars

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 2:34 am    

I had that happen a couple of years ago, by someone who still sells regularly on the forum. They posted an item for sale, I responded within 30 minutes of the posting with an e-mail and a note on the forum posting to "check your e-mail" which was the first response on the forum and a day later was told it was already sold.

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 5:22 am    

Jack, I see how that could happen. The person who bought it evidently sent email to the seller,ahead of yours.
When I buy something, I just send email. It doesn't help to post a reply.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 5:38 am    

John, that was not the case. You weren't on the forum then and I kept the gripes private, I didn't air the "dirty laundry" on the (public) forum.

I'll refrain from "naming names" as it's been 3 or 4 years ago.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 05 May 2005 at 06:41 AM.]

Gordy Rex

Southport, NC
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 6:18 am    

Folks,
I have been on both sides of this issue, and feel that it is just business. In this country you can buy and sell at will. From anyone or to anyone. In most cases it's up to the seller who he wants to deal with, based on what he is most interested in. Such as the price or maybe, shipping issues. If a guy down the street wants to buy vs a guy across the country, he may drive down the street. He may also hear from a close friend or family member who wants to buy but was not first with an E-mail. Although we are all, to a some degree, family here on the forum there will be some division in the ranks. I'm just glad we are having this discussion, it means that business is good and the prices must be right and if you need to buy or sell we have a place to do it. If you feel you been ranked lower on a sellers list of buyers try offering more money. I know I have paid more than I would like to lately for a few items, but I wanted them. Something must be wrong with me, I think I pay more than I would sell them at. Duh My choice though... I know I got more items than I missed though because of it.
Thanks for listening..
Gordy

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 12:41 pm    

i had a pig in a poke once. smack that poke and that pig would squeel boy. oops wrong post

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 12:50 pm    

I see your point, Gordy. At the same time, though, when I miss a $500 Fender Dual Pro because I was too late, I don't cry about it- I missed it. But if I hit it first and the seller decides not to answer any questions and just sell it to a later offer, I get my hair up about it. I work this forum pretty hard when I need something and I'd like that work to pay off occaisionally. And I also agree with you point that a seller can sell to anyone he wants; but etiquette dictates that you follow the guidelines set when you use a forum like this, and most people agree that the first guy gets it, but it's all good. I just don't like having people in a community like this that I can't trust to do business.

------------------

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 1:48 pm    

So should you sell it to the first person who sent you a personal e-mail or the first person who posts a public reply? Is there a rule?

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 2:12 pm    

In my opinion (and it is just that, an opinion) it should be the first guy to hit on it. If the person is indecisive, you can justifiably move on. In the case that started this there was no information given about the item AT ALL, other than what it was- no condition, size, etc., and instead of answering my reasonable questions he just sold it to the next guy that asked. When I sell an item, if the first guy I hear from asks a question and another guy wants to buy, I ask the first guy if he has made a decision, as I have another buyer. Seems reasonable to me, and I sell and buy a lot of stuff in my quest to be the quintessential gearwhore.

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 2:58 pm    

If I'm interested in something listed for sale, I'll send an e-mail plus make a "public" comment on the person's ad. Doing that you should be the first considered.

But common courtesy says you don't ignore everyone except the one you want to sell it to. If that's the case don't advertise on a "public" forum.

From what I've seen/read we are talking about isolated instances not the way most do business on the forum. Seller ratings don't really cut it as they can be skewed or biased if someone wants to.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 3:56 pm    

You called it Jack... these are isolated instances. I just felt the need to make a fine point of it for some reason. We are all mostly courteous and I am daily thankful for the knowledge I get on this forum; no amount of gear can replace that! (but I'd like the gear too...)

------------------

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 5:05 pm    

Well, you might also look at it from the other perspective. I've sold or tried to sell a few things here and I've often found that some people are just information hounds and really have no intention of buying. They want you to discribe the item. then they want a photo, then they want to know about this and that. then they never end up buying. the things that I sold were sold because a guy wrote me and said, I'll take it. and it got sold right then and there. Some people don't have the time to pull out the digital camera, or answer endless questions - they want the item sold. In this case, if you asked for a lot of information (reasonable information I've no doubt) but someone else came along and just said I'll buy it, then I would have sold it right then and there also. the point is to get it sold as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And unfortunately, while you may rightfully need more info to make a decision, others don't need that much information and just act and hope for the best. Sometimes those people get lucky and get a bargin which is why they move quickly. Other times they just sell the mistakes. I don't think you blame the seller who, if his experience is anything like mine, might have found that the number of questions asked is inversely proportional to the chances of actually getting the thing sold.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 5:09 pm    

Agreed, but all I asked was what is the condition and manufacturer... not a lot of effort for the seller.

------------------

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 6:40 am    

Completely agree, but (and I don't know the details of what you went through so I'm just speculating), from the sellers perspective he has a buyer and a prospective buyer. The bird in the hand rule states: buyer wins over perspective buyer. My guess is that you were the first with a question, the other guy was the first with an offer. Thus, you lose. The good news is that the buyer probably get ripped off quite a lot because he is not as diligent as you. If anything you can blame an ill informed buyer. But I think it is hard to blame the seller when he has a guy ready to write the check.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 1:49 pm    

We can close this, I'm through bitching.

------------------

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 4:23 pm    

Excuse me because I'm not real familiar with the lingo, let me see if I got it right...if you're the first one to "poke the pig" you should own it?

[This message was edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 07 May 2005 at 05:23 PM.]

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 4:33 pm    

The term Pig in a Poke in this circumstance refers to what the seller wanted me to buy; He failed utterly to describe the item and instead of letting me know what he had he just sold it to someone else, even though I was first to it. Anything short of useless would have been a sale, but Again I got zilch. It happens a lot on here, a few times in the last few weeks to me. If you want to sell to your buddies, fine! I am cool with that- Email them and don't post it on here. That's what I do, on the very rare occaision I have something that merits it.

------------------