The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Value of Webb amp?
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 6:03 pm    

I assume this is the right place for this post...I'm trying to help a friend of a friend in NYC move this amp...it's a Webb 6-14E...needs a speaker...it has some kind of weird speaker in it with a white cone...the dust cover is busted...the corners and brightwork are oxidized...the grill cloth has a hole in it...the amp is black...it sounds good(not my cup of tea)and has the remote reverb control...what's this amp worth?Anyone who doesn't want to post here can e-mail me at:stevehinson@comcast.net...thanks!I have the amp here at the house...so I can look at it if I need to tell anyone anythin about it...thanks...

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 6:15 pm    

In that kind of condition they seem to bring about $600 - $850, but that's only with a good working speaker. If you figure another $200+ for a JBL E130 (Webb standard), then maybe as-is price could be around $500 to $600 roughly.

The Webb market is kind of all over the place though. Now that they are no longer made, I forsee a general increase in value. They surely don't make them like that any more. All discrete circuit, most rugged cabinet ever made for a guitar amp, very powerful and hard to blow power amp, good EQ and tone voicing, good reverb, just a great amp. The only other amp around now that uses those sweet sounding FET transistors is Evans. I've restored a small handful of Webb amps and they are truly impressive and belong in that category of amps called boutique.

Brad Sarno

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 6:22 pm    

Hey Steve--I bought a Webb in excellent condition w/o speaker last August for $750. So this gives you a starting point to figure this. Cosmetically it was 9/10 I guess. Off the top of my head I suppose if I were in the market now (not) I might offer something like $600 if it's cosmetically kinda messed up. Possibly worth more if it is in 100% good working condition. I'm just making this all up (not the first sentence) and I'll change my answer quick if someone persuades me with a good argument. It has taken me this long to start to find out how nice the Webb is but I'm starting to really dig it now. Hope this gives you a start.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 7:44 pm    

Hey Steve - I sent you an email about this amp.

Thanks!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 7:58 pm    

I'd say $500.00 at most. Cosmeticlly poor. Usless speaker. Probably old and in need of a cap job.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 8:17 pm    

Let`s not forget one sold yesterday for 1200. It lasted about two hours on the forum. I`ve seen recent good examples go for 1050. and up recently.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 4:54 am    

Jon, good to see you are still working with the Webb, keep fiddling. What speaker are you using?

Larry Behm

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 5:16 am    

...so I should tell my friend's friend that it is worth$500-600?As I said,he is in NYC and doesn't really know anything about the value of the amp...thank you all!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 1:10 pm    

Sounds right, Steve. Hey Larry---it's got the 15" EVM (that I also got from you, didn't I?---how 'bout that!) I've also got a 12" EVM that I want to try in it but I keep failing to get around to making a baffle for the thing. Yeah, the more I play the Webb the more I appreciate it. How do you compare it with your Steel King?

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 1:22 pm    

Thank you one and all.