The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Battery or memory chips installed in Profex, Tub
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2004 2:45 pm    

I can change the battery in a Profex or install a memory chip in a Transtubefex or Tubefex. The memory chip will work in a Bassfex or Profex 2! I also replace your settings or new settings, as requested. I have a nice combination of Newman and Jeff Peterson settings I can put in the Tubefex and Transtubefex.

I do the chip and battery for the same price. Please email if interested.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 27 January 2005 at 07:13 AM.]

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2004 3:07 pm    

This chip works great and you do not have to worry about the battery working your board over with a acid leak.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2004 3:41 pm    

I just got in four more chips. One is sold, to be installed this week. Another is pending. I am buying 4 or more at a time, that is how I can offer them at such a low price. Batteries I buy 50 at a time, again a very low price (about 1/2 what it would cost to do from the factory). I still have over 30 batteris in stock at this time.

Email me if I can help out. I will try to keep several of the new memory chips in stock. I can turn most units around in 1 day back to you.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 30 November 2004 at 03:41 PM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2004 8:56 am    

Just did a Tubefex for Dale Whitner. The battery was leaking, caught it before any damage was done. He is sending me a Trantubefex to do next.

Bottom line, this change out will save your unit from battery damage! Lift the top lid and take a look at the battery, it only takes a few minuutes to do. If residue had formed, clean the battery and the board area with denatured alcohol or acetone (finger nail polish remover) and a Q-tip. After that get a new battery or chip ASAP.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2004 9:36 am    

I'd advise everyone to let Ken install this chip. He is great to deal with and you can't beat the price. Thanks for everything Ken.
Dale

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2004 6:34 pm    

My first order of chips are all committed. I am ordering another four tonight. Let me know if I can help any of you out with that or a battery changeout.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2004 4:08 pm    

Got four more chips on the way. Just got in a Transtubefex for a chip today, battery OK. Also a Profex 2, looked like new! Battery had already leaked on to two resistors and 1 cap and unit was in "BYPASS" mode at all times. Cleaned it up, new battery and re-loaded Newman settings. This one was about to get some damage if left much longer! It is fine now.

Check them batteries! Just because it works and looks good does not mean trouble under the hood!

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2004 8:49 pm    

Ken we are planning bringing 2 steel players Friday night pluss me.

ernie

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2004 10:25 am    

Ken,

Please give me an Email. I've got a TF that I believe has a battery problem and would be interested in having you do the work for me while my band is off over the next month.

fklott@mor-value.com

Thanks!

Skeeter

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2004 3:27 pm    

Email sent! I can turn it in a day for you and save your settings as well. I have four more chips on the ways and lots of batteries.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2004 1:21 pm    

Well that is five chips and several batteries so far. I have three chips left out the second order. My supplier has a few left, I hope he does not run out for a while!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2004 8:58 am    

Got my TTubefex back from Ken, speedy work! Nice not to have to worry about that battery now. Thanks Ken!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2004 12:12 pm    

Thanks, Mark! My supplier will have another ten ready soon. Again these work in the 2000 amp, Trantubefex and Tubefex. There are probably a lot more Peavey Processors out there with batteries other than those I mentioned. I suspect anything made with user memory is suspect. If you have something, just lift the top lid and take a look for the battery.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 27 January 2005 at 07:15 AM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2004 5:31 pm    

Got in two units from another member tonight. Profex 2 battery, volume pot and knob replaced. Battery was starting to leak. His Tubefex was leaking bad! Got the board cleaned up and replaced the memory chip. This one was getting ready for some serious damage, as it had leaked on two surface mount caps already!

Look under the top, only takes a few minutes and can save your fex unit from battery damage! If you have leakage, then clean it with a Q-tip soaked in acetone (finger nail polish remover) or denatured alcohol. At least that will slow it down until you can get it fixed.
My charge for a battery or a chip is the same, $35.00 and return freight. I have about 15 batteries left and 2 memory chips. I always keep the batteries in stock (I get 50 at a time). I will try to keep the memory chips in stock as well. I also keep in stock the front and rear volume pots and knobs (grey center only available now from Peavey). These tend to get broken a lot, the pot shaft is pot metal.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 15 December 2004 at 06:12 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 16 December 2004 at 10:53 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 16 December 2004 at 10:55 AM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 9:45 am    

I have all my chips commited for install. I will order more as soon as they are available. I still have 12 batteries available.

I have a Transtubefex on the way for a chip This one was battery damaged and is on the way to Peavey first for repair! Hopefully it can be salvaged. I am almost certain there are no circuit boards available at Peavey for these units.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 9:06 am    

I have 10 more chips in stock and will be testing on a Bassfex and Profex 2 that I purchased this week. I am almost certain the same chip I have been using in the Tubefex and Transtubefex will work in a Profex 2! If so no more batteries. This should also work in a Peavey Midi-Filer and Autograph. I have both and will try that as well. There are a host of Peavey units that likely used the same memory chip. Here is a list of reset procedures, I suspect all these can have the chip replaced:

PEAVEY ADDVERB HOLD THE - AND 5 KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY ADDVERB II HOLD THE - AND 5 KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY ADDVERB III HOLD THE ADD/DEL AND GLOBAL BUTTONS, POWER ON.
PEAVEY AEQ 2800 HOLD THE MIDI AND ASSIGN KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY AUTOGRAPH HOLD THE MIDI AND ASSIGN KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY BASSFEX HOLD THE PLAY AND GLOBAL BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY CEQ 28 HOLD THE MIDI AND ASSIGN KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY CEX 4 HOLD THE MASTER AND STORE/MEMORY BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY CEX 4L HOLD THE MASTER AND STORE/MEMORY BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY CYBERBASS (MODULE) HOLD THE PROGRAM AND RIGHT CURSOR BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY DPM 2 HOLD 0 BUTTON, PRESS ENTER. RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS AND PRESS ENTER.
PEAVEY DPM 4 HOLD SAVE BUTTON, PRESS PAUSE. PRESS ENTER WHEN PROMPTED.
PEAVEY DPM C8 HOLD THE 0 AND ENTER BUTTONS, POWER ON, WAIT FORTHE "UNIT INITIALIZED" DISPLAY THEN RELEASE THE BUTTONS.
PEAVEY DPM C8P HOLD THE 0 AND COPY BUTTONS, POWER ON, WAIT FOR THE "UNIT INITIALIZED" DISPLAY THEN RELEASE THE BUTTONS.
PEAVEY DPM SI TURN POWER ON. HOLD '0' AND PRESS ENTER. PRESS ENTER AT THE PROMPT TO RE-INITIALIZE KEYBOARD.
PEAVEY DSR 1000 HOLD THE - AND 5 KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY LIBRARIAN HOLD LOAD, SAVE, AND UTIL BUTTONS AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY MAP 8X4 HOLD BYPASS + POWER WHILE PLUGGING UNIT IN.
PEAVEY MFP 2128/MIDI MANA HOLD + AND - KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY MIDI MANAGER HOLD + AND - KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY MIDI MASTER HOLD FUNCTION AND PROC A KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY MIDI MASTER II HOLD FUNCTION AND PROC A KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY MIDI STREAMER HOLD THE RECORD (SYSX, SAMP, + SEQ) KEYS AND POWER ON. AT PROMPT PRESS START TO RE-INITIALIZE.
PEAVEY MULTIFEX HOLD THE 2 KEYS NEXT TO DISPLAY AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY PC 1600 HOLD THE UTILITY + ENTER KEYS AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY PC4-X HOLD THE MASTER + MIDI KEYS AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY PC4-XL HOLD THE MASTER + MIDI KEYS AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY PGP 20 HOLD THE A/B + MUTE KEYS AND POWER ON.
PEAVEY PLM 8128 PRESS TWO RIGHT-MOST SOFT KEYS IN BOTTOM ROW AND POWER ON. (VCA CAL UNAFFECTED)
PEAVEY PLM 8128E HOLD THE SOLO AND MUTE KEYS, POWER ON. (VCA CAL UNAFFECTED)
PEAVEY PROFEX HOLD THE PLAY AND MIDI KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY PROFEX II HOLD THE PLAY AND GLOBAL BUTTONS, POWER ON.
PEAVEY PROGRAMAX HOLD THE A/B AND MUTE KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY PV LITE 3000 FACTORY PRESETS: HOLD CHASE + AUTO SOUND, POWER ON. HARD RESET: HOLD DOWN + STORE, POWER ON. IN BOTH CASES, HOLD UNTIL 00 APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY.
PEAVEY SDR 20/20 HOLD THE PLAY AND STORE KEYS WHILE POWERING ON.
PEAVEY SPECTRUM ANALOG FI HOLD THE DEC AND EXEC BUTTONS, POWER ON. ( TO INIT. FOR USE W/ CYBERBASS, HOLD DEC AND BYPASS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY SPECTRUM BASS II HOLD THE + AND - BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY SPECTRUM ORGAN HOLD THE + AND - BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY SPECTRUM SYNTH HOLD THE + AND - BUTTONS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY ULTRAVERB HOLD THE - AND 5 KEYS THEN POWER ON.
PEAVEY ULTRAVERB II HOLD THE + AND 9 BUTTONS THEN POWER ON

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 2:55 pm    

Just finished a Bassfex and Profex 2. Both are up and running with the new chip. I will continue testing until tomorrow. So far they are perfect. As Peavey stated, if they did not a DSP error would occur right away. This has not happened.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 21 January 2005 at 03:21 PM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2005 8:27 am    

My last order was for 10 chips, all are commited. I have 10 more on the way, 1 week out.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 25 January 2005 at 01:01 PM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 6:40 am    

Looks like I will place another order for 10 on Monday! That will be 20 on the way, most committed already.

Here is some info I have emailed others lately:
Charges:

$35.00 for the chip or battery (I recommend the chip), reload your settings or I can reload from my collection, repackage and ship

Shipping charges are additional and I will scan a copy of the shipping bill to you and send an invoice for the repair in Microsoft Excel format. I can scan the invoice if you do not have Excel.

I can replace broken pots for $15.00 each (volume on the front or rear only for Profex 2 or Bassfex), also power supply input jacks for same (have only seen 2 bad ones in all the years I have worked on the units). I keep the pots and jacks in stock. Knobs are $4.00 additional, Peavey charges me around $3.50 for them.
I do not need your power supply sent with the item, I have several here already. I can also replace the battery in your cache card, if needed and reload the settings to it for $5.00.
Pack to protect the racks ears! They bend easy in shipment. Try to pack so the item does not shift. Items packed in peanuts will move all around and bump the ears. I have seen many damaged this way. Wrap in bubble wrap for best results.

I will also make a contribution to the Forum for the work done. Folks, I ain't gonna get rich doing this! However, it does make me feel better to know these units can be saved from battery damage!

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 29 January 2005 at 06:50 AM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2005 7:35 am    

I will be out of town from Feb 28 to about March 15. Please let me know when you ship!

I can turn these around in a day, usually.