The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for Emmons/Pennington
Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 3:00 pm    

I am looking for where to find the tune "My Weakness Is Too Strong" either by Mr. Emmons or as sung by Ray Pennington with Mr. Emmons on steel. I have a cut of it instrumentally right now but it doesn't work real well. Anyone know where I can get a CD of either one or both??? Thanks

Jim Hankins

Yuba City, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 3:13 pm    

Were Steel Swingin, off the swing series, B Emmons site run by E. Renn, link here on the forum. Maybe b0b has it too, Jim

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 4:07 pm    

YOU SHOULD TRY,,,,,," EARNEST TUBB RECORD SHOP " IN NASHVILLE , TENN...I'LL BET THEY HAVE BOTH, ALSO EARNIE RENN. BE'S WEB SITE AND HERE ON THE STEEL GUITAR FORUM.. I KNOW YOU WILL FIND THEM IN ONE OR ALL OF THE 3 PLACES..... GOOD LUCK.....JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 4:55 pm    

www.buddyemmons.com

Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 2:32 am    

Actually "My Weakness is Too Strong" is on two different Buddy/Ray and the Swing Shift albums. It's on Swing & Other Things and it's on Swingin' Our Way as an instrumental.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 4:08 am    

I have both versions......I prefer the vocal one...(like the arrangement a little better). Incidently, the co-writer was Bunky Keels who recently passed.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 4:31 am    

I have both versions and the version with Ray on vocals is also my favorite as it shows what the steel guitar is all about. My top two favorite steel guitar tunes of all time have to be this one and Conway's "Lost in the Feeling".. The Ray/Buddy thing is a total masterpiece in the recorded history of music. Ray's never been a big name recording artist but he's been a top notch vocalist/songwriter for many years and has some good sized hits under his belt as a writer however his vocal performance on this song is full of emotion, feeling, and executed flawlessly. Buddy's playing is a lesson in how a steel guitar should be played in every aspect. When the vocals are on the steel is subtle and beautiful and highlights just what it's supposed to! When it's time for the steel to take the spotlight he jumps in there and takes command of the whole thing and nails it down tight. I have some break tapes of different songs to play between sets at my band gigs and this tune is on one of 'em. I don't think I've ever played it without someone walking up to me and asking "Who's that" or "That's a beautiful song, who does it" or something like that. I've never heard this song on radio anywhere and that's a damn shame. I've never played this song for anyone who didn't like it, it should've been a national hit.....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 2:44 pm    

No doubt! Buddy continues to fascinate us even though this song was done years ago. His smooth transitions going to and from the bridge are remarkable to say the least!