The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Loessberg
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 12:29 pm    

Went to Hays County Jamboree last night and Jim was filling in for Mike Daily,,,,,man he makes that 65 emmons "sing"! Speaking of singing, they had some performers that were outstanding,,,good old Ray Price type stuff with plenty of steel and fiddle. It's unbelieveable how much talent there is here in the Austin/San Antonio area,,,,country music like country music used to be! I think next month Bobby Flores will be one of the featured acts,,,,that'll be another good one! Jim said that Jason Allen will be taping something Thursday morning at Gruene Hall for the Jay Leno show????? Don't know if it will be open to public or not,,,,or when it will be aired,,,,or who's playing steel. If anyone knows about it chime in.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 1:04 pm    

I spent a couple of weeks in San Antonio back in '02, and it immediately became one of my favourite places in the US!

I was doing an 'Always - Patsy...' show there, but I was amazed that I even got the chance. They seemed to have more fine steel players per capita than any place I've been - it just turned out that the Music Director's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and, for all I know, 4th choices weren't available for the period in question, so they imported this Englishman from Naples, FL....

I made some good friends amongst the local musicians and had a wonderful time, but what sticks in my mind was the culture shock I experienced - SA was like stepping into a time-warp where old musical values still held good.

Most of all it was a wake-up call for me - I realised that I needed to take my 'game' to another level. Texas proved to be a shot in the arm for my playing - I can't wait to go back one of these days!

Roger R.

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 11 January 2005 at 01:05 PM.]

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 2:29 pm    

Yes Roger, I am truly blessed to be surrounded by sooo much good music. Music from my "era" is alive and well around here, and like you say, so many world class pickers. One of the guys that sang last night (Dennis Ivey) said he went to Nashville in early 70s and they told him they already had a Ray Price (and they could have said J.Bush and D. McCall too) so they didn't need him. We'll take all of'em we can get down here.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2005 7:52 am    

Does anyone know who might be playing steel for Jason Allen tomorrow? (Hey Bobby Flores,,are you there?)

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 1:14 am    

Hey Sonny,

Thanks for the kind words. I think Bobby is in Sweeden at the moment. I really wanted to do the Gruene Hall date with Jason but I will be driving to Phoenix for the show in the morning and the gig goes on too late. I don't know who Jason ended up getting.

That Hays County Opry is cool! I hope I get to do it again. I even sold a couple of CDs! Thanks to all who bought them!!

Best,

Jim

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 8:26 am    

Great to hear Jim carry lead on steel with Tom Lewis on drums as Justin Trevino played bass for the Wed night gig at Ginnys.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 8:43 am    

Sonny,

Maybe Tommy Detamore will play steel. He did the fabulous pickin' on Jason's CD's. BTW, my friend Chris Whitten will be playing fiddle at the taping. Chris plays fiddle for Kevin Fowler.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 11:28 am    

Glenn We're still trying to find out what time all this is going down??? The people at Gruene Hall say it's happening but don't know when.I think Jim said Tommy had prior commitments.

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 6:21 pm    

Jim,

Just wondering if your CD is available yet by mail or do I have to go to Arizona?

Steve

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 3:51 pm    

Steve!

Yes, the CD is available. I spent a couple of extra days in Phoenix with some friends and am running a little behind. I am in the process of updating my website with about 250 pictures. I am planning to make an anouncement on the Forum about my album and the website update as soon as I get all the pictures linked.

Gradually I will be adding some videos, new sound files and free tab.

As for now you can order the CD at www.jimloessberg.com, using Pay Pal or just send a check for $16, plus $3 shipping to me at:

306 Glade View Drive
Round Rock, Texas 78681

Thanks for asking!

Best,

Jim

[This message was edited by b0b on 20 January 2005 at 11:59 AM.]

Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2005 7:48 am    

Hey Sonny,

Back in the USA!

I'm always glad to see players of Jim's caliber get recognized. His match with his steel is perfect and he is an incredible player (both on steel and drums!).

His new album is a jewel and I am honored to be on it. I highly recommend it as well as all of his great instructional material. Jim's one of those players that should be in a studio everyday somewhere. Not only an ace player but he also produces great traditional country albums (Dugg Collins, Frenchie Burke, Curtis Potter, etc.) Check them out at: www.startexrecords.com. He also has a top-notch radio show as well, Legend Radio which is usually aired on weekends. Check with Jim for the details on his show. It's great to listen to.

Cool to see both Tommy Detamore and Dennis Ivey mentioned as well!

Jim will be playing drums with us this Saturday Jan. 22nd at Pearl's in Ft. Worth.

Bobby

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2005 3:48 pm    

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I'll get the ball rollin'. Can't wait to get my ears around it.

Bobby .. I second that on Jim's instructional stuff. Both the lesson material and a few private lessons gave me an excellent start on steel guitar.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 10:39 am    

Hey Bobby...welcome back to the good old USA.
Everything you said about Jim Loessberg is "right on". Having just worked with him in Mesa, Az. last week I can attest that he is a great player with talent abound and more so a great person.
...Roy

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 1:09 pm    

I love Jim Loessberg's playing.

Even if he does look more like he's shooting pinball than playing steel when he's sitting at the thing!
-John

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 2:16 pm    

Hey Bobby, welcome back to the USA,,,,,sounds like you had a great time "across the water". I'll see you at the Hays County Jamboree, if not somewhere before then. Looking forward to it. Thanks to all you guys for keeping "our kind of music" alive.

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 1:24 am    

Roy!

It was indeed a pleasure working with you. You did your usual great job! Thanks for making it through my bad charts.

I hope to work with you again soon.

Thanks Bobby for the kind words and the great fiddle playing on my album. I'll see you tonight at Pearl's.

Best,

Jim

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 9:40 am    

I loved Jim's cool demeanor when the amp fell off the stand in the middle of a song in Mesa. I think his reply was "hey, where can I get one of those stands" as he calmly puts the amp upright and came in right on time.

Jim is a wonderful player, great guy and has first class instructional material to sell.

Thanks Jim!