The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Robert Randolph on Leno
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 6:06 pm    

I saw the Leno thing last night too. It seemed to me that RR was having trouble with his monitors. His playing wasn't up to par as I have seen in the past. And, he seemed off key with his guitar and singing. I caught his Austin City Limits gig and it was very entertaining.
Hey folks, this is getting the PSG out in the forefront of American popular music!!! Let's lay back and enjoy it.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan

Cody Johnson

Cleveland, TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 7:58 pm    

Joe Wright's rock playing is so much cleaner than Robert Randolph's. Why isn't Joe Wright on Jay Leno? Joe is one of the best entertainers I've ever seen in person.

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 8:24 pm    

Jeff, I will respond privately.

-Travis

Gary Brown

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 9:40 pm    

Regardless of the fact that I don't personally enjoy what Robert Randolph does, especially compared to top notch rock and roll guitar players, it's great to see him having success with his act. But, let's be honest, he's not getting TV spots because of the level of his playing or musicianship, he's got an act. And that's always been what draws attention. He's found something that sets him apart and God bless him for that. He's not doing studio work, he's entertaining people. There's a lot more mainstream noteriety in entertaining than in great musicianship. I don't get much out of the Chinese fire drill form of entertaining, but apparently others do, and they're probably every bit as smart as me.
I do find it interesting though when people voice their dislikes on here. I doubt Robert's ego is so fragile that we're going to hurt his feelings.

[This message was edited by Gary Brown on 04 August 2004 at 10:46 PM.]

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 1:48 am    

C. Dixon said:

"But this person (and I rather imagine countless other steel players) will not walk across the street to listen to, or see it. I use as a precedent the night that many simply got up and walked out on Buddy Cage's spectacle on the stage of the ISGC. "

Well, I was there. And I saw people walking out. And I stayed. I think Cage could have used a better band to showcase himself, but his playing (once you got past the visuals) was excellent. One hears the good stuff only when they are willing to listen for it.

JW

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 4:18 am    

So true Winnie!
Gregg and I saw him on the Grammy's & WOW!

Theresa

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 5:18 am    

When was Buddy Cage on the Grammy's?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 6:04 am    

I'm confused about who to resent now. Is it Sacred Steel players or hippie steel players ? You guys help me decide because my firm conviction that Toby Keith really does suck uses up most of my pointless indignation energy.

Bob

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 6:44 am    

By gosh, you tell 'em Bob. I'm so mad I can't!

------------------
Quote:
GFI SM-10 w/ 3*2 (My First Steel!, OUTWEST Pac-A-Seat

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 7:33 am    

Well!

"Hendrix playin' guitar with his teeth" and "RR kicking his steel over and catchin' it with his foot and never missin' a lick...". (Let's not forget Jerry Lee playin' pie-annie with his foot!)

Boy, that's really is quality entertainment! Yup, when I go to see live music, that's just the kind of stuff I like to see.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 8:25 am    

Quote:
"One hears the good stuff only when they are willing to listen for it."

You are correct Winnie (and Theresa). When I listen for the good stuff and find it to be stuff that is not good (to my ears) I do not choose to listen to it a second time.

I was not one of the ones who walked out on Buddy Cage. I was one that was part of Scotty's video crew at the time. But I did not hear one single thing he played that I would ever wish to hear again. But Winnie, I could listen to you play most any genre' of music all night long.

I sincerely mean that, May Jesus continue to nurture your unique musical talents.

carl

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 8:32 am    

I'm always reading here on the forum that "THIS guy's playing is better than THAT guy's playing, infering that THAT guy's charachter is lacking some quality that makes him less of a human being somehow. None of this means anything to the grand scheme of things. The controling nature of men, including our own little provincial sector, are always drawing up needless dividing lines. Those lines go all the way back to Cain and Abel. If I wanna try to incorporate elements of this guy or that guy's playing into my own, it's my business alone. What anybody else does is not my concern or problem.

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 9:25 am    

Some are reading more into this subject than actually exsists. For me, there is no ambiguity. Garbage is garbage is garbage is still more garbage.

But, "one man's garbage, may be another man's ............" And, you are certainly welcome to it.

My refuse collection company collects my refuse on Monday morning. You are welcome to any or all of that too; if you care to come by after dark on Sunday evening. Just be careful not to scatter it all over the street.

I only hope NBC TV will be as considerate not to scatter very much of this "music" over the TV broadcast airwaves.

Rick Collins

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 9:41 am    

Joe Wright.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 10:18 am    

I have both of Roberts CD's and have heard him live several times.
I spent an afternoon at the Sierra shop with him and he is great guy too.
The type of person I would like to hang with anytime.
Watching him blaze away on blues improvs and Sacred Steel grooves while standing right in front of him was what convinced me that he is deserving of the level of success of which he is expieriencing.
I say Lett'er Rip Robert!!!
Take No Prisoners!!!

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 05 August 2004 at 11:19 AM.]

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 10:22 am    

RR most certainly does not deserve to have his playing described as "garbage"!?!?!??

That view of what a musician does to express himself and his art has been proven to be a most narrow minded and musically ignorant/biased mistake over a period of time.

John Coltrane's playing was considered as such by the critics in his day.

Bob Dylan was discounted as trash by the folkies when he performed with an electric guitar.

Drums and electric guitars at the revered Grand Old Opry were viewed as "undesirable".

They threatened Adolph Sax after his invention of the Saxophone.

It is a proven fact that Elvis Presley was a conscript of Satan. (science fiction music here)

The Beatles were written off as just some wierd English guys with old style hair.

And on and on.

RR is just getting started. He has more notoriety and more influence right now than any former steel guitar legend. Kids don't know and don't care who Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green are. They are basing their opinions of RR on what is happening right now and not what happened 30 years ago musically and stylistically.

No musician degrades the instrument he plays, just by playing a different kind of music on it. You might not like what RR plays but you can't write him off as "garbage".

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 10:39 am    

Well, I guess we have some unreconcilable cultural differences here on the Forum. My only point for this post was that, for any of you who are open minded about pedal steel in other genres, the late night TV appearances I have seen of RR don't do him justice.

You can get a better understanding of his technical virtuosity from some of his recorded tracks, but even that does not capture what you see and hear live. It's always tough to capture that live experience on tape and TV, but RR seems to have a special problem with that. So don't be too quick to judge based on these poor late night TV productions. There is way more to this guy, and he is just getting started.

Some people may not care for the genre, but he has really raised the bar for rock-blues on pedal steel. Of course Joe Wright already had the bar set pretty high, but aside from insiders here on the Forum and at steel guitar shows, who knew? Now everybody knows. Those without the taste for it can turn their backs, but RR has greatly expanded the possibilities and expectations of pedal steel in rock-blues, and has put the pedal steel front and center on a rock stage in a way that has never been done before. We live in exciting and challenging times. And I think it's all good.

Bill Brummett

Greensburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 2:12 pm    

I -- as were several other posters here -- disappointed by the sound mix for RR on the Leno show. I saw his appearance on Letterman a few weeks ago, and it was much better. Could that be because the Letterman band does have a guy that plays some steel from time to time (looks like a Fender D8 Pro non-pedal) Maybe he helped the sound guys get it right.

But then I recall 2 or 3 years ago at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree that the mixing was so bad that you literally could not hear the steels most of the time. It happens!

To really "appreciate" ( notice I didn't say like it) RR's ability you can hear it on his CD's ..... particularly the "Live at the Wetlands one.

Now personally, I don't particulary care for a full plate of "rock/blues" type steel (just as I don't care for a lot of the overdone cornpone licks you hear on a lot of pedal steel.) But I do respect those players considerable ability and expertise.

So, I do appreciate the considerable talent I have heard on RR's stuff, just as I really like some of Joe Wright's heavy rock stuff like "Powerslide".

But the Leno apearance was definitely not a good one to judge RR's talent with.

the main thing here is a lot more people know what steel guitars are because of RR.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 2:17 pm    

I am so totally sick of hearing about RR I'm gonna barf. You guys would bebetter off practicing steel then yakking about nothing......

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 3:04 pm    

Hey Ron, see my sure fire cure for what ailes you in the Events forum. Then again maybe take your own advice and go practice dood. It might take your mind off of ROBERT RANDOLPHS incredible ability to ROCK OUT with the steel guitar. I think the guys really tallented and he's only starting out. Just wait till he hits his stride. Good luck with that indegestion man.

Rick Garrett

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2004 3:04 pm    

Who's forcing you to read it?

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 9:24 am    

!!!

[This message was edited by Wayne Morgan on 06 August 2004 at 03:13 PM.]

Mark Zinns

Oakland CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 10:15 am    

Does anybody remember an article that Tom Bradshaw wrote years ago about how we as steel players were doing a dis-service to ourselvs by insisting that steel should only be used in the "traditional" country genre? He advocated that pedal steel should be used in new and exciting ways, but should be done well. I have listened to alot of rock artists use steel in their work. some of it is OK, some is pretty bad. R.R. plays rock steel great, period. If you don't like rock steel, that's fine, but don't blast the guy for playing a style you don't like. I'm not a big fan of Hawaian steel, but I sure can appreciate it's legacy and the talent of many players. I would hazard to say that most of us who like rock steel guitar really dig R.R. I'm really stoked that the steel guitar is getting such wide spread recognition. Remember when Jackson Browne had David Lindley tour with him? Many mucian friends of mine still ask me if I can play that stuff. That's what is happening now with R.R. People of many musical tastes are big fans of his and think he is very talented and a great performer.

When Alvino Rey or Speedy West did those wild sound effects on their steels, I wonder how many purists had complaints?

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 11:01 am    

Not to take anything from RR,, he does his thing and does it well, with much success.
As for me, I go to Jimmy Day's saying, "I would love to play like that,, but I wouldn't, I'd rather play pretty".
I love this forum and respect all views, and love the steel family, and I don't care that people don't love BE or Day, and all the other pioneers,,,,I do !! And if we like it or not,,,RR is doing great and a lot of people do like him and his style. No one person has the market cornered on this great insturment. "One mans pretty is another mans garbage" Wouldn't it be sad if all music was the same ???????
My love is Traditional Country, don't kick me for that,,cause I'm just a proud TN Hillbilly.

Wayne

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 11:17 am    

Quote:
"When Alvino Rey or Speedy West did those wild sound effects on their steels, I wonder how many purists had complaints?"

I do not believe hardly any at all. I am one of those purists. And I loved listening to and enjoyed the playing of both of them.

I never heard anyone of our purist's steel players attack either player. Or, their styles. The closest thing I ever heard was, some felt that Alvino played just chords rather than a flowing melody. Which was indeed true.

But I have yet to hear a single "purist" say they did not care for their playing. The time when Alvino Rey and then Speedy West was elected into the SGHOF, I saw many many cheering purists lauding them with standing ovations.

Also, I do not recall Tom Bradshaw saying we wanted the steel to be ONLY "country". He may have of course. But I would tell him the following.

All I have heard is, "We want the steel to be accepted like other instruments are. The county label was put on US. We never put it on us, that I can recall."

I personally would love the steel to be included in many different genre's of music. But why can't it still sound like the steel guitar we love.

That is my beef. Jerry Byrd played latin music sooo beautifully I could not quit listening to it. And not one note was "country". MANY others have done the same. But one could still tell it was a beautiful, incredibly overtoned musical instrument.

Why does it have to be that in order for our beloved instrument to be accepted, we purists must be masked by playing styles many of us "purists" do not care to listen to? Not talking about the music, talking about the playing styles.

After all we do have a stake in it. We pioneered the sapsucker! Should we have to sucuumb to noise called music in order to become accepted? Including playing the instrument in a manner that does not even sound like a steel guitar?

That is the question.

And that is the purists' number one objection.

carl