The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How has E-BAY affected Steel Guitars????
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 6:31 am    

I know everyone has a different view on things, but I get lots of comments about the things on E-Bay for sale.Some seem to think prices have increased because everbody has a "Collector Item" for sale. Also there seems to be a few with little knowledge about Steels and this confuses buyers. What say you?? ED Naylor Steel Guitar Works.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 6:57 am    

I have not purchased anything on Ebay and have no plans to do so in the near future. I like to make my purchases from someone who I can talk with and get additional information before the purchase. I have purchased 5 Emmons guitars and an amp throught the forum with excellent results

To be fair about it, I have not looked at Ebay more than a couple of times.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 7:00 am    

I am not sure if Ebay has caused a jump in prices or not, but over the years I have made some friends because of buying or selling items on Ebay. I haven't done a transaction in some time due to the increase amount of scamming that has sadly increased on Ebay, but if you are careful and do your homework, there are deals to be made.

I made it a habit never to buy anthing without voice contact during the bidding process. Seems to work for me.

Regards,

Mark T.

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 8:02 am    

I don't know about steel prices on e-bay but I've been dealing there from time to time for the past 4 years and it seems as though the starting prices are going up on most things.
I have found that most everyone on there is pretty honest.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 9:38 am    

I have bought and sold hundreds of items on Ebay. You figure the whole world is looking at your item. Sometimes the prices are a bit high, but I believe that is because the majority of bidders are not hardened pros and don't mind paying more just because they WANT an item not because they NEED it. I have found it a great experience.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 11:20 am    

I never see much Steel guitar stuff on ebay but I`ve done a lot of harley parts buying and selling there..everyone I`ve dealt with have been top of the line.
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 12:00 pm    

In the past two years I have bought and sold about two dozen (standard) guitars on ebay. Only had one misrepresentation and I was able to correct the problem locally. There is some risk with ebay, but there is also risk on the Forum. Bought four major purchases from Forum members, with one risrepresentation.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 2:18 pm    

Ebay has certainly helped me be able to buy more steel stuff. I bought some stock a few years ago and it has done really well. I have also had around 850 transactions and have only had two or three that didn't work out well. Ya-all just keep buying and selling and driving my stock price up, I need to make up for some of my bad investments. LOL

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 3:44 pm    

I've bought and sold on Ebay with good luck and complete satisfaction. I found a Custom 24 PRS 10 top that I couldn't find at the music stores. There were PRS's, but not the one I wanted. I had a specific neck (wide thin), 10 top with birds, Dragon II pickups, etc. I get on Ebay and there were at least 150-200 guitars to choose from on any given day. I bought the guitar for $700.00 less than wht it was going to cost me from the store. I watch the steel guitars pretty close. I see the beginner guitars selling for more than they are worth. On the other hand, I see more educated people buying the Pro-line models. They seem to be inline with fair market values. Just know what you're bidding and look at their feedback rating. My $0.02 worth.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 3:52 pm    

I think prices of steel guitars on ebay has increased in the last 3-4 years.

But what hasn't?

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 5:00 pm    

The majority of the vintage price explosion happened way before Ebay came along. Example- In the early 80s, Brian Setzer caused Gretsch's to be untouchable for us regular income guys, and helped set the pace for prices to sky rocket on anything vintage. Steels were still relativly cheap for another decade until that's all that was left for us poor folk, and then they became attractive to even those who didn't and never would play. But the biggest jump in prices came from the all too many greedy store owners who sought to capitalize on the yuppies excessive need to be 'cool'.

Ebay is great unless you're broke or stupid. I'm usually guilty of both and have still managed to have lots of success buying there. Great things you'd generally never find elsewhere show and don't always go for anything close to their worth. Deals can be found there for quality items, just ask Jeff Au Hoy about his Bakelite, and I got a nice Fry Pan for $800!

Overall, except for the usual amount of kooks, most sellers are on the up n up. Just do your homework, and don't get overly excited on any item.

And for those who still don't have a clue about the bidding process, please, LAY OFF ON THE BIDDING UNTIL THE LAST SECONDS. Why bid bid bid? All you're doing is jacking the price thru the roof until even you can't afford it. Bid once, bid smart, and if it's meant to be, you win, and at a much cheaper price. If not, another one(or something better) will eventually show up.

Have fun!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 5:34 pm    

ebay is the world's largest yard sale. There's jewels, and there's junk. There's deals, and there's ripoffs. It's definitely not a place for a buyer who's not knowledgeable. But then again, neither is the average used-car lot.

Yeah, prices there are inflated, but you have to realize that not everything gets sold. In any market, it is the gullibility of the buyers that determines the worth of any object.

People are paying millions for Picasso's "art". That oughta tell you something!

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 6:11 pm    

I bought my MSA on ebay about 5 years ago, just 3 and a knee for $365. Been used a little, but good enough for me. I looked in the shipping box for the talent to play it well, but I guess they fogot to ship that part.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 5:38 am    

I find EBAY to be a very useful society.

Like anything else..be smart ..or be fooled.

I sell many items on EBAY and we also make many purchases..for the most part everyone is happy.

One of the primary rules I follow before I bid on anything of value is to do my homework.Heck I got the Internet right there in front of me..so I use it.

I contact the seller with a simple question..anything. I'm just testing the seller to see if they will respond. If I get a fairly fast response ..I may move forward. If I don't gt any response..no bid. I don't care what price..no bid.

Many times I send a note to the seller asking if I can call them or if they would call me. This has been positive as well.

Has EBAY forced the prices of Steels higher ? who knows .

There are many many scams out there and EBAY is also full of them. But you are cautious and smart, and stick to your guns EBAY can be pretty cool place.

If we are buying a D10 and feel the value is X, then don't bid 2X. Pretty simple. And also like mentioned above, I don't bid until the very close of an auction, just like the real auctions ! Many times a seller bids on his own stuff to bring the price up so do keep that in mind.

Some folks call this sniping..I call it smart bidding. I know how much something is worth to me and thats the number I plug in at the end of the auction. IF I win..good..if not..tomorrows another day.

Currently there are 86 Pedal Steel related items, more if you take the word "Pedal" out of the equation.

remember what they say..Buy low sell High..and it's real hard to sell High when you bought High..

t

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 5:54 am    

eBay in and of itself cannot raise prices. Prices can only be raised by either the sellers or the buyers. If eBay items sell for more than a potential buyer wishes to spend, it's because he's bidding against a larger pool of other potential buyers who might be willing, through either better information, ignorance, or affluence, to pay more than he is.

FWIW, I've recently seen guitars on eBay that didn't reach their reasonable reserves, or sold for discounts of up to 25% of what I thought they should sell for.

It seems to me that the "stupid money" has greatly retreated from the online auction site, at least compared to 4-5 years ago. It does show up occasionally, though. There does seem to be enough money out there for the truly unique items that are in the correct CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Kevin Bergdorf

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 5:56 am    

I've bought and sold a few hundred items on ebay. It's hard to say how it's affected prices, but it certainly has made items accessible that I otherwise would never have gained access to. How often have you seen a tape Echoplex in your local music store? While ebay is relatively stable there are dips and highs and I've rode some up (and others down). Picked up a 70's Emmons 3+1 for $400, which had some issues but included an old ShoBud volume pedal that I didn't expect. I ended up parting it out; sold the case for $100, the pedal for $100 and then the Emmons by itself for over $400. Go figure. I had a lot less luck on a 54 Les Paul goldtop RI.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 6:01 am    

I recently bid on a Rickenbacher guitar on e-bay. I was high bidder but it did not meet the reserve price. After the bidding closed, I was informed that the seller would accept my bid. I went ahead with the deal and am now waiting with anticipation to receive it.
Erv

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 9:28 am    

I've purchased several Rick Bakelites on eBay and experienced no problems, except for one arriving from Australis with the neck broken off. (It appears CUSTOMS might have attempted to push in down into the case while something was beneath the head stock).
It's a little rough around the edges, not the pristine guitar I tho't I'd purchased, yet it has the most fabulous RICKY TONE that I've ever heard. After the insurance company paid of the "seller", they told me I could keep the broken parts. Wayne Tanner shared one of his many secrets with me, and with no mechanical abilities whatsoever, I did successfully put this little jewel back together again. (Humpty Dumpty should have been so lucky!)
I was offered a substantially reduced price on an Oahu guitar/amp pkg when the purchaser, a 16 year old kid, had no money to pay for it. I accepted the offer however the kid came up with the money a couple of weeks later, so the seller "stiffed" me and cancelled what had been a firm purchase agreement.
One guy keeps selling Jerry Byrd instructional course on eBay; he takes the high bid, and then offers the other bidders to purchase it for their lower bid price. He's a fraud and I've told him so.
One fellow shipped me a Rick prior to my having sent off his check. Said he was familiar with me thro' my posts here on the Forum and that was good enough for him.
Prices do seem to be higher now than several years ago but what ain't? It's still a buyer BEWARE world in which we live. Life is full of RISKS.........

A. B. Traynor

4th Street& Royal ave New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 12:10 pm    

I Bougt a copy of the album "The Players" With no problem

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 5:15 pm    

It has made buying and selling easy.People seem to site the latest price a guitar sold for on ebay thus it has become the price guide for selling a steel for many.The prices for non pedal steels have moved up largely because of ebay.The internet as a whole has helped the steel guitar in popularity.I see ebay as part of the present growth of the non pedal popularity.The internet has helped the steel guitar in many ways.

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 5:25 am    

I have mixed feelings on this issue.In a way it has helped my business a lot. People buy a Steel then discover something is missing or broken and they need a part.Then there is the numerous calls I get from people wanting advice on buy or not and try to get my opinion on the items value. i guess it all boils down to what I have advocated for years-WHEN IN DOUBT-DON'T. ED.

Steele Cooper

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2004 4:07 am    

Ebay is like a big Pawn Shop. Most items show up there cause people just want to sell them for cash. Pawn shops also used to be an easy mark for instruments that had hidden problems.