The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lost my gig
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 7:13 am    

I'm bummed!! I've been playing in bands on weekends for the last 15 years or so.. My last band broke up and the band scene here in New Jersey has pretty much dried up.
Oh well.. I guess now is the perfect time to learn that bottom neck. If anybody hears of something in the South / Central Jersey and New York area please let me know.
My wife is getting way to used to me being home on weekends.if you know what I mean

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 8:45 am    

Bob,

I feel for you, man. The same thing happened to me last September and I'm still without a gig. I even approached a three piece country band who could sure use some sweet steel but was told the money was too good splitting just three ways. I could really help them but they don't care. They're working 6-8 gigs a month as they are. Go figure.

Best of Luck to us all!
Tony

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 9:14 am    

well the political incorrect solution would be to repeal the drunk driving laws, shoot the on site DJ's, allow smoking, and get some "real" country on the radio and we could quit our day jobs, Tony, real country bands love steel more than a few extra bucks, my band is seven piece, ya, I only get to play a few times a month but thank God for the VFW's, the Legions, a couple Moose clubs where the folk like melody still, don't know who Rascal Flats are, and still talk about seeing Haggard twenty plus years ago

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 10:35 am    

BObG, take charge and start your own band.

Gary Lee

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 11:14 am    

Even the moose clubs around here seem to prefer dj and karoke..the guy that started karoke should be hanged.
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 11:51 am    

In my opinion it is technology that has put musicians out of work. Most of the 'Artistes' round here are a one man band singing to backing tracks. These 'entertainers' don't need live musicians, the audience doesn't like live musicians, as they prefer to line-dance to a snare drum and nothing else, and the booker certainly doesn't want more bodies on that stage, it's more expensive.
R B.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 12:03 pm    

BobG
I am with Gary Lee on this one... start your own band

heck, let's you and me start a duo...

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2004 7:09 pm    

BobG, ditto on starting your own band. I play in about 4 or 5 bands now, but when I moved back to my hometown around 6 years ago I wasn't getting the calls and finally started a trio with a girl singer. We're still at it. Try putting up posters at local music stores saying what instrumentation you are looking for. Good Luck!

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 3:42 am    

Thanks for the advice guys but I really dont have the time or funds (how much does a decent PA and trailer run these days?)for that kind of committment.
And Dave ...about the duo idea.. setting up next to you or Mr. Gimble on a regular basis would be a learning experience I would enjoy.

------------------
Profex ll.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 4:55 am    

It does appear that the scenes are a bit dry.
Lately I have been playing with 2 bands , not regular, but we do a free show every Fri night ( in front of people) we use this primarily as rehearsal time. I don't go every week but it is fun and it definetly keeps the chops alive and improving .

I have also been going with some friends every now and then to open mic jam night and I back up a few singers for about an hour or two on Steel and Guitar.. This has actually turned out a benefit as I have come to meet several fine players and get a chance to work with folks that I have never met before. This is how I hooked up with the band I am working with.

I know many say they would never work for free..but I don't look at it like that..I play stuff that I have been working on and if it works fine, if not..who cares..Playing at home in front of nothing is not the same as playing in front of folks..even if they are drunk and sing out of tune.

I come and go as I please and they are grateful when I'm there..who knows maybe they're grateful when I leave too !

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 6:55 am    

Go out and hit a few jams.
Your phone will be ring'n in no time.
I agree with the post above... I'm playing with several bands and am not an official member of any of them.
Most bands seem glad to have steel when it's available.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 10:20 am    

"setting up next to you or Mr. Gimble on a regular basis would be a learning experience "

Ever since I've been on a high fiber diet, your "learning experience" would be graded on a curve!" Or should I say..................but I won't

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 10:24 am    

No, Gary. Don't say that...

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 11:06 am    

Maybe i'll just go solo and work with rhythm
tracks. Do you think I can get away with playing "Sufer Girl" ten times a set for three sets?
Great tab Jim.

------------------
Profex ll.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 11:25 am    

Bob, you have solved your own dilemma with your work cut out for you. Pace yourself and learn 3-4 cocktail hour tunes per week. After 3 months, find a piano bar type setting and play with your BIAB tracks, free of charge. You might be pleasantly surprise what may follow! I notice you didn't respond to my last post but I did get Cohen's attention. Yep, if I can reach just one person...................collateral damage or not .....must have been the kasha sitting on the steam table too long

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 12:24 pm    

I'm Sephardic; I don't know from kasha.

Tommy Allison

Transfer, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 1:13 pm    

While driving to a local steel jam recently with two fellow steelers, one of them said. Remember when we used to play music and get paid for it. Now we go to jam sessions and pay people to listen to us. What's wrong with this picture?

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 1:46 pm    

Jim they have a lot of new medication for your condition. Call me and I'll give you my Doctors private #, he always makes me feel gooder.
Bob every once in a while I have to get a replacement for myself in A.C with Joe Dalton. Maybe you could fill in for me sometime.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 3:19 pm    

"Jim they have a lot of new medication for your condition"

Ben, I know just what you are talking about. My wife has Sephardic too but she is only 1/2 which is too much anyway. I'm sick of smelts and funky grape leaves stuffed with drek.

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 3:30 pm    

Thanks Ben... I'd be more than happy to.

------------------
Profex ll.

Pat Dawson

Chesapeake Beach, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 11:03 am    

What is it with Jersey? My brother lives in Ringwood and tells me he can't even tune in a country station on the radio.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 12:03 pm    

Pat, it's not like it's much better for us. What do we have? WMZQ? Phooey, that station can give me hives sometimes!!!

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:38 pm    

Ditto on either starting your own band or making yourself available to sit in, like Pete does around here. There's always lots of work for a steel player. Hang in there...things have a way of working out...

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:17 pm    

And I thought what you guys are talking about only happened here in Australia ... parallel universe!!??

Graham

P.S. I do work for good money occasionally but it's mostly my band(s) ... not somebody else's.