The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chuck Campbell Wins Highest Honor
Lucky Oceans

Fremantle, W Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 9:28 am    

Congratulations to Rochester, NY pedal steel guitarist Chuck Campbell, who won the USA's highest honor for the folk and traditional arts - a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. Chuck is a fine player in several different styles, but he was identified as a 'gospel steel guitarist' in the publicity. Congratulations also to Jerry Douglas, who also won the award. Out of 10 recipients, there was one dobro player and one pedal steel guitarist!

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 1:16 pm    

Hi Lucky
I don't think you remember me but about 10 years ago we were at the Texas Steel Guitar convention and set in on one of Jeff Newmans free seminars. Afterward you played on the show. I believe Hal Rugg couldn't make it because of a snow storm in Tennessee. You might have been right after Jimmy Day. One of the songs I remember you playing was 4WD and You kicked butt!!!. Your were one player I would never forget after that. I hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

Wayne : )

P.S. It is really great to see those guys win the awards!

Lucky Oceans

Fremantle, W Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 9:21 pm    

Thanks Wayne,

Good to hear from you and hope you're well. Thanks for your kind words. I had a great time at that convention. I have written an album's worth of pieces for pedal steel and will be recording them in the next couple of months. Chuck Campbell is a really great guy. When I was visiting my folks in Philadelphia in April, I got together with him for a midnight jam at his hotel room. (he was in town to attend a funeral) He is very articulate about the Sacred Steel Tradition (he's planning an instructional video) from him and very curious and knowledgeable about the country and jazz uses of the instrument.

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2004 3:31 pm    

I was listening to Chuck Campbell just today and am always amazed at this lyrical playing. That honor is richly deserved.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 12:10 am    

I can't imagine a musician alive today who is more deserving of this honor. I know I am biased, but I am glad that the NEA got it right.....

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 9:58 am    

Congrats to Chuck. He is very deserving of this award.

Lucky, I caught your act with Asleep at the Wheel here in Dallas back in 1977, I think.......well, it was a long time ago! One of the best times I ever had. You guys really rocked back in the day!