The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green on Charlie Pride live
Lee Costley

North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 10:23 am    

Could someone please tell me the correct name & year for the Charlie Pride live album @ Panther Hall that features Lloyd Green. I would love to buy a copy on cd if it is available.
Yesterday I recieved Lloyd's NEW CD in the mail.....I don't have enough beautiful adjectives to describe it!!!!!... I haven't stopped listening to it. I need more Lloyd Green!

------------------
singin & playin is my greatest thrill!!!

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 10:33 am    

"Charlie Pride Live at Panther Hall". Summer 1968.

I stand "corrected" on the title, It Was released on RCA as "Charley Pride in Person"(recorded live at Panther Hall)

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 20 May 2004 at 09:00 AM.]

Lee Costley

Post  Posted 19 May 2004 10:40 am    

Thanks Bob, do you know if it is available on cd?

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 10:48 am    

You may find it here: www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005YQB/ref=olp_product_details/102-6705064-1500155?%5Fencoding=UTF8

------------------
Bob Knight
Sergeant at Arms NTSGA
WWW.NTSGA.COM

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 19 May 2004 at 11:49 AM.]

Andrew Buhler

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 10:48 am    

Yes, a cd is available. It is called "Charlie Pride, In Person."

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 11:37 am    

Lee,

Lloyd Green played on all the classic Charley Pride recordings (late 60's/early 70's), all these albums are great.

I know about two for sure that have been reissued on CD:

"The Sensational Charley Pride"
"Songs Of Pride, Charley That Is"

They might be available at Amazon. Also, there are some good compilations out (RCA Essential series) that feature a lot of the classic material.

Lloyd's playing on these records is simply awesome!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

Lee Costley

Post  Posted 19 May 2004 12:01 pm    

Thanks everyone...Amazon had it new & in stock for a mere $10.99!!!!!!! I now have a copy on the way!

------------------
singin & playin is my greatest thrill!!!

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 12:19 pm    

Thank's for the "correct" C/D title for this classic recording. I too just ordered myself a copy on C/D as my vinyl copy is no longer playable due to bad storage.
JE:-)>

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 3:23 pm    

An equal performance by Lloyd Green can be heard on the Happy Goodmans Live album of the late 70s-early 80s. AWESOME!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 4:17 am    

I have yet to find any recording with LLoyd playing on it not to be great.

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 8:11 pm    

Be careful Walter, Lloyd was on quite a few of those cuts, but Gene O'Neal was also on quite a few.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 1:15 pm    

Dear Friends,

This is in regards to the question which Charley Pride records Lloyd Green did in fact play on. Who could be a better source to answer this question than the man himself. Here is the message I have received from Lloyd Green:

Quote:

Eddie,
Walter Stettner is correct. From the very first record Charley Pride recorded in Nashville, "The Snakes Crawl At Night", recorded in 1966 - which incidentally didn't chart in Billboard- until the final record I cut with him, "We Could", which went to #3 in Billboard in 1974, a period of 8 years, I can think of only one song that I didn't play on, at least hit songs, "Kiss An Angel Good Morning".
Gene O'Neal, who was Charley's road steel player did indeed play on this one. During those wonderful years, 1966-1974, the greatest C. Pride era, I played on 23 Billboard charted songs with Charley, including 12 #1 records. The only exception during that time was the one Gene played steel on.
Now, there may have been a "road" album or two that featured all of Charleys road band (for sale at his shows) which would have had Gene playing, but I am unaware of them, if so.
By the time I quit doing Charlie Pride's sessions his biggest and brightest years as a major artist were past. Like all artists he had but a limited number of years where he was a phenomena in country music then the focus shifted to others. It's the cruel nature of the business since he still today travels and performs. But it's not the same thing.
I hope you understand I'm merely giving you a statement of facts, not being critical of Gene O'Neal. He was a good friend of mine and a superb steel guitarist. Had he been on more of those early Charlie Pride records instead of me I'm certain they would have been good. After all, "Kiss An Angel Good Morning" was the career song for Charley Pride!

Regards,
Lloyd Green

Lloyd, thanks for sharing the information with us!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 6:20 pm    

Lloyd Green's performances on Charley Pride's records were riveting and are probably what attracted me most to the steel guitar.

For those of you that have never seen Charley Pride live, his current show features Ronnie Miller on steel. Ronnie is a great player and he plays a big role in Charley's show.

I concur with what Reggie Duncan said about the Happy Goodmans recording, "The Very Best Of The Happy Goodmans - Live." If you are a Lloyd Green fan, you owe it to yourself to hear this album.

Tony Rankin

Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2004 5:40 am    

If you haven't allready, you all need to get Lloyds "Revisited" CD. It will leave you in awe!

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 6:04 am    

Lee is definitely after the "right" CP album. That one is the clinic on backup pedal steel guitar.

I had it on vinyl and then found it years later on CD. After buying that CD--wherever it came from-- I discovered it was missing two tracks. I brooded over that for a few years until I got a new computer and set it up to record from vinyls... problem solved.

I also have put my two CP Greatest Hits albums (vol 1 and 2) together on one CD. Those are great songs too, but can't beat the Panther Hall album. I never realized that wasn't Lloyd on "Kiss and Angel Good Morning".

------------------
HagFan

PS: On another thread I asked, "Did Lloyd play on any of Mel Tillis' records?" http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/006544.html

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 03 June 2004 at 07:12 AM.]

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 10:27 am    

Hi
There are indeed 2 releases of this CD,one has 2 tracks less then the other.The one on Koch label from Germany has the full album!
Egil.

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 1:19 pm    

This is my favorite album of all time!!!!

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2004 9:01 am    

Ejil,

Since the two omitted tracks--if I'm not mistaken-- were the first tracks on each side of the vinyl, it was an easy fix. I patched those two in there nicely and took the others from the "short" CD.

They really cut some hot steel by not including "The Last Thing On My Mind". I think the other omission was "Shutters and Boards".

By the way, for anyone who has this CP album, which version of "Six Days on the Road" do you prefer, CP's or Sawyer Brown's?

------------------
HagFan

Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2004 10:19 am    

Ron,
CP's version, no doubt about it!!! Especially Mr. Green's solo in the middle. I have this album along with 20 or so others by Charley, and this is probably my favorite. My favorite album by Hank Jr. is his "Eleven Roses" LP from around 1972 or so with Lloyd all over the entire album. Excellent stuff!!! Jason

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2004 10:49 am    

Ron,

Both of those songs are on my CD. Do you think there may have been two differnent versions of the CD released?

Respectfully,
Dave Burr