The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modes / Sub'n / Nav'n charts for 6add11 tuning.
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 3:59 am    

I have recently finished some new charting work on the 6/11 tuning; Laying out it's split modes, scales, chords and modal substitutions boxes.
I would appreciate any critique towards presenting the material any better, or any particularly useful pockets, voicings, patterns, etc. anyone might notice in the layout.

Note: There are a number of register positions (string) to insert the 4/11 note into the 6th tuning with different effects upon the mode boxes' structure.

Click here for the charts.

SGF discussion about the Lettes / 6add11 tuning.

Thank You,
Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 10 August 2005 at 05:02 AM.]

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 9:25 am    

Denny,

Great work and your new chart lay out is cool. I have referred a couple of people your way regarding modes and theory but don't think that I have thanked you personally...THANKS DENNY!

I'm a pattern person so your "course" really opened up my understanding of what, where and why I play the notes that I do. You know yourself the same note can be found in several locations on the neck but by using the modal structure you can find plenty of "companion" notes on the same fret or scale box...that and basic music theory that you also provide has made me dangerous.

Tom Jordan

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 1:31 pm    

OOPS...; Bad link to the modes all-keys "Quick Chart" . Corrected link is here. It's a quick / simple reference chart for mode structure / substitutions in all keys.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 10 August 2005 at 02:54 PM.]

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 1:45 pm    

Tom,

Thank You for the kind words. Every Player who gets something out of the material, flips a cosmic C-note ("$") of karma to the cosmos in helping me repay the countless good people in the past that generously shared so much in my learning over the last 47 years.

Aloha,
DT~

ps: Dangerous is GOOD !

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 10 August 2005 at 03:05 PM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 2:02 pm    

Denny, this is tremendous. * You're definitely a madman in the best sense! (* See Threadzilla post #1)

I hope your plan to turn this material into a book comes to fruition. We can't trust cyberspace to archive this tremendous amount of work for future generations. My brain can only wrap around about 50% of the material but your work has definitely changed my playing for the better. Thanks again!

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 2:48 pm    

Thank You for the kind words, Andy.

I've got a few more tunings to refine work on before seeking a publisher (or climbing that steep learning curve myself to provide a POC). (Less than adequate work opens the can of worms to Derivitive arguement and unsavory "messenger" services!). I also need to learn a pro graphics / publishing program; A publisher ain't gonna "rapport" well with a picky madman doing critical graphics in bitmap! But who knows; If the critical mass of amairkans gets dumbed-down / mung'ed-down much more, they probably wouldn't notice the difference between Tom Terrific in bitmap and the best of showcard ; But I would, ...and your books are a wonderful high standard that erases any temptation to join the automotons.

Aloha,
DT~