The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aloha Internat'l Steel Guitar Convention Reports
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2005 12:38 pm    

I missed the Aloha International Steel Guitar Convention this year from July 14-16. First one I missed in 18 years.

It would be nice to hear about the convention.

Could we have some reports
from some of you attending?
The notables? The events?
The going-on's? Things of interest?

I know that I would like to hear about it.

Perhaps others on the SGF would be interested in hearing about this convention.

Aloha,

Don

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 18 July 2005 at 01:40 PM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2005 3:21 pm    

As always, Winchester was a great time.

Guest of honor Steve Cheney wowed the crowd (really!) with his VERY smooth playing. He played a double 8 console that he had just finished building last week. Excellent sound, great workmanship.

After hours jams in Bill Creller's room were awesome. We actually twisted Ian Ufton's arm enough to get him to play steel guitar! Once he sat down with the steel he played for an hour and half straight (we had to keep feeding him beer though)!

Great sets by Duke Ching, Herb Hanawahine, Bill Creller, Bobby Ingano, Doug Smith, Mike Scott, Coral Islanders, Dirk Vogel, Warren Slavin, Ron Simpson, Frank Brandenburg, Ivan Reddington, John Tipka, Sharon Denney, Kay Koster, Don Fulmer etc. etc.

Luau was catered by a Hawaiian Restaurant from Muncie (go figure). Excellent H food prepared by excellent H chefs, Kalua Pork, Chicken Long Rice(noodles?), Haupia (coconut pudding), stickey rice, lomi lomi salmon, ahi poke.

The only instrument worth considering that was on sale was a National Chicagoan in mint condition with case for $250. An original Fender volume pedal (not tone/volume) was snatched up quickly for $50.

I'll write more. Ask questions.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2005 7:43 pm    

I liked the mandolin that was for sale, it was 1937, with a resonator on the bottom, what a great wall-hanger! It was tagged 100 bucks, and fingered easily, but I don't need two mandolins.
Like Gerald said, the National was a nice guitar.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2005 2:10 pm    

Bump.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2005 10:58 am    

There must be a few more persons attending the conference that could make some comments. Come on Ron, and others.

What is it like to be at the Aloha International Steel Guitar Convention in Winchester, Indiana?

Thanks Gerald and Bill for your contributions. You can always add more.

Just a comment about Ian Ufton, a great steel guitar and rhythm guitar ARTIST. His father, KEN UFTON, was recognized as the leading steel guitarist in the United Kingdom before coming to Canada in 1965.

NOW FOR SOME FURTHER QUESTIONS-----

1. WERE THERE ANY SEMINARS OR WORKSHOPS? WHAT WAS COVERED?

2. WHAT WERE THE HAPPENINGS IN THE CLUBHOUSE?

3. WAS L.T. ZINN, GREAT STEEL GUITARIST AND RHYTHMS PLAYER, PRESENT? WHAT PILIKIA DID YOU PULL OFF?

4. WHAT ABOUT BOB AND JULIE WATERS?

I MAY HAVE SOME MORE QUESTIONS LATER?

LET'S HEAR SOME MORE TALK STORY!!!!!

MAHALO,
Don

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2005 1:50 pm    

Hi Don Bob and Haunani were there this time. Bob is walking with a cane, and not very far at once. LT was trying to take control as usual. The club house was only a one-nighter, and I left early as usual when the music turned country.
Bobby was there for Saturday only, since he and Doug were at some folk music doin's.
Bobby was at his best on saturday, probably because he had been playing a lot the prevoius two weeks. I thought I knew his playing quite well, but he surprised me with his sweet style on the 8 string bakelite he brought from home.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2005 7:28 pm    

Aloha Don,

We missed you and your wife at the convention this year. Bob and Julie did the opening ceremony followed by a great set. Everyone made the transition to Duke's program next. After that the schedule began to shuffle due to flat tires and such as they most always do. Bill Creller did a great program in the afternoon using the Corian guitar that he built. I even got to hold it. It is even more beautiful in person than in the photos, and the sound is wonderful.
LT was on good behavior this year, didn't get arrested or nuthin'. He did a fine seminar on Wednesday. The Coral Islanders played great program on Friday expertly accompanied by Gerald Ross. Naturally everyone missed Dick and we were all reminded what a "tuff" lady Bernice can be when the need arises. Virginia made her singing debut during the program, and did a super job. Speaking of Gerald, be sure to pick up his new CD. It is excellent.
Duke did great job putting together the lu'au show and enlisted Herbert to help out. Steve Cheney was just amazing every time that he played during the convention and lu'au.
Now for the really 'hot' gossip:
Otis done got hitched agin (really)
There were no calendars to be found (Thank God)
Bobby really liked the cake at the lu'au

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2005 12:06 pm    

Ron Simpson writes:
quote:
Now for the really 'hot' gossip:
Otis done got hitched agin (really)

How old is Otis? He's easily well into his 80's.

Leaving the convention of Friday afternoon I got stuck behind a car crawling along at about 7 mph. I finally passed them and looked inside. It was Otis and his new bride!

There's some kind of coorelation here, I just know it.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 22 July 2005 at 01:11 PM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 9:26 am    

Do you suppose that he is teaching his new bride to play the OMNICHORD to accompany him playing his steel guitar at the conventions?

I saw this budding romance last year at the Winchester convention. Otis was acting like a teenager. But I guess he doesn't drive like one, Gerald.

Aloha,
Don

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 23 July 2005 at 10:27 AM.]

Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 2:01 pm    

Hi Don,
Sorry you and Joan missed the convention -- as usual, a great time !! Hopefully your medical condition has been corrected.

Yes, as mentioned in previous posts, Haunani and Pulevai were there -- Bob is on a cane and walking slowly. I think he is planning knee operations soon. Bob sang at the opening ceremonies as well as Julie. Julie also sang thoughout the convention with her beautiful "Hawaiian Vocals" -- she sang "Akaka Falls" on my set. L T had a seminar on Wed which was well attended and covered a lot of subjects. I will send you a program which lists most of the activities.

Duke was the "Luau" organizer and did his usual good job. Laverne (Duke's wife); "Haunani" (Bob Water's wife); and Joanne (Herbert Hanawahine's wife) sang and danced in the true "Hawaiian Style".

Steve Cheney, Herbert Hanawahine, Duke Ching, Bernie Endaya, Bobby Ingano and L T Zinn provided suberb "steel playing" -- of course we all contribute to the "steel abiance" but the professionals contribute their own style.

Warren