The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band practice intermission at St. Louis
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 9:34 pm    

This year I was one of the few lucky ones who just happened to be in the autorium before the music police wouldn't let anyone in because the band was rehursing with the various artist. When I go to the convention it is always a learning experience for me. Sitting there quietly watching LDG get his show together was an incredable learning experience for me. He played a line in a song that he said "I can't seem to play that line convincely, will you do a harmony part with me" (to Bobby Caldwell). That was a very helpful statement to me. I will think of that when I am working out a part myself. We as fellow steel players are not the average audiance and we certainly want to gleen any information we can to enhance out own playing experience. These practice's are off limits to almost everyone. I'm not saying that they should advertise that a certain player is practicing at a certain time and look for a full house while they do so. But,I think anyone with 2 brain cell know to be quite and respectful when someone is rehursing for a show. It would add to the total experience if they would not totally shut down the auditorium for these sessions. What a perfect time to watch these professionals actually working and what they do to achieve such excellence.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 10:25 am    

FYI. These sessions are closed to the public by request of the performer. However, Lloyd asked that I allow the folks already in the room to be allowed to stay. He's a perfect gentleman.