The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roger Rettig ....Found,
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 6:04 am    

I drove down to Naples Florida last night to attend the Naples Dinner Theatre's
current production of " The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ".
The show was very professional and well done. The highlight for me was Roger Rettig playing Pedal Steel, with a keyboard ,fiddle and percussion.The Pedal steel fit so well in the combo,and if Roger missed a lick all evening I didn't hear it.This may be a whole new venue for the instrument.The person on the board did a great job of keeping the steel in the forefront and of course Rogers unique style made the background music for the different sets very impressive.Roger also plays a great lead guitar and has worked this theatre in that capacity.I would urge any steel pickers who can get there , to check this out.
Thanks Roger for making a good show into a great experience.

Bud

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 6:48 am    

A few years back, I got to do the same scenario with my friend Frank Crawley. The show was at the Macon Little Theatre and I really enjoyed having a friend in the production. Frank is a Bobbe Seymour spin-off and does an excellent job on his Zum D-10. Bobbe even has a picture of them in his no pedals album.

We recently fixed up his electronics to where he can use the stereo effect in his Profex II by using two 400 amps. He's currently working with Pat Patterson in Columbus, GA but at the VFW; not the old Stockade Columbus is famous for....

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 02 July 2003 at 07:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 02 July 2003 at 07:52 AM.]

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 9:47 am    

Paul :
Thanks for your post.I think it's just great when the type of audience that was there last night is exposed to the most versatile musical instrument in the word. I had met Roger before but never heard him play. His expertise on the guitar is multi faceted and It was just ewxciting to hear it in this setting.Once again I would compliment the person on the board. He was well aware of what was needed.
Bud
LeGrande 111, Evans SE-200 and too much else.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 12:32 pm    

Thanks for your nice comments, Bud - it was nice to see you again, and I'm happy that you enjoyed the show.

Although the show is fully-notated, I observe about 40% of the written parts and have fun for the rest of it! As anyone who's done 'Whorehouse' knows, there's lots for the steel to play and I don't find myself tiring of it - we close this coming Sunday so, if there are any more PSG guys like Bud in the area, come by and say 'Hello'. It's fun to play when there are knowledgable 'ears' in the house.

I had a small drama at this afternoon's show - with two minutes to go I noticed the red light on the NV1000 was 'off'!!! That cursed detatchable mains-cord had worked loose in the amp. How I wish that connection was hard-wired - I've had a fright like that before.

Sounds good with the 'Emmons' through it, though.....

RR

Neale Tracy

Birmingham England
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 12:21 am    

Hi Roger
I got to play the steel parts in this nearly 10 years ago at the Theatre Royal in Stoke.It was notated but as im a bit crap at that sort of stuff I got a tape of a Previous production which I was told had you playing on it, would that be correct. I had to copy it note for note, it was great fun and has plenty of room for the steel. Thanks mate.
Tracy

------------------
Franklin S10
Fender Strat
Godin Tele

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 6:49 am    

Hi, Neale,

It could have been - I did the show in the West End in '81 for six months(!!!)

Today's our last day, I'm sorry to say - it's been a fine production, and the time's flown by. I think the sound-man's going to record today's efforts (two shows), so I'll get to hear whether or not he's been screwing around with the sound of the steel for the last six weeks.

The same Naples theatre has asked me to do 'Always - Patsy Cline' in the autumn - I love steel gigs that allow me to sleep in my own bed.....

RR