The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Myrtle Beach
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2003 1:27 pm    

We'll be in the Myrtle Beach/Charleston area next week. Where can we go to hear some steel?

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2003 3:02 pm    

Carolina opry'
Dean Black is fantastic to say the least. He also hoast's Steelin for hearts in April, with some of the hottest players going. The Big Boys, as well as locals. God Bless

Joe
Derby SD-10 4X5 Nashville 400 Fender twin
Profex ll Lexicon MPX 100

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2003 6:31 pm    

Brian Dickson will be playing the Beach Wagon for at least a couple of weeks.An excellent young player.------bb

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 2:37 pm    

Thanks for the replies. Where is the Carolina Opry?

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 4:19 pm    

It's at the north end of Myrtle Beach where business U.S. 17 & the 17 bypass intersect. I could be wrong about the intersection, but I do know it sits to the west of bus. 17, going north. Been there, played there.
One of the members of the Serenade show in Chas. ('95-'9Cool used to call the Carolina Opry's hydraulic stage, "Orca, the killer whale".

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 4:20 am    

Thanks Rex. Did you live in Indy in the 70's?
I worked with Chuck Dean and the Young bros. back then.

Gary Brown

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 9:48 am    

Hey Ben,
I'm the music director and steel player at the Carolina Opry. I don't know if there's any other steel players working in town right now. I think Brian Dixon (Beach Wagon) is gone back to Nashville for a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure if Dean Black is picking anywhere right now, but I'll check with him and find out. If you want to e-mail me, I'll give you my phone number and maybe we can connect.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 11:12 am    

Hey Gary,
Me & the wife plan on coming down to Mertle Beach for vacation sometime this Summer. I want to get over to see the Opry. I'll try to hook up with you during your break or after the show, so we can meet. Looking forward to it!
Nick

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 12:07 pm    

We went down to the Beach Wagon Friday night to hear the Band called MOST WANTED and Brian Dickson was playing his Black Franklin with 9 and 9 on it, and this young man who is 25,"he said" really played the fire out of it.. He came over to our table after the first set, and it was Very nice to be able to chat with him,
If you ever get the chance to hear Brian you will be greatly satisfied, I sure was..
Billy.. B.M.I. d-10

[This message was edited by B.Jenkins on 21 June 2003 at 01:08 PM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 1:17 pm    

With respect to topic drift:
Ben: Yes, guilty as charged. I do remember Chuck Dean. We spoke a time or two, but that was during my Wright Bros. gig & I traveled a lot, & Uall were busy with Chuck, etc.
I lived in Mt. Pleasant, SC from '95-'98, & that your 1st post said you would be in the Charleston area as well, may I make a suggestion: Having said that there are some great restaurants in Chas., cross over to Mt. P., hold to the right (bus. 17, turns into Coleman, st. 703, & look for that little batch of seafood restaurants (the Trawler being one of them) that sit on the river there. If you're already aware of this, my apologies, just FWIW. You can't miss in that area, they're all great.
Anyway, I know you'll have a great time in Chas.-Myrtle Beach.
Gary: I wish you the very best with the Opry, keep your tailgate up & your referee whistle shiny, & please tell Marc Collins I said hello.