The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jaydee Maness with Vince Gill at Britt
Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2003 9:45 am    

Hi SGF:

I went to hear Vince Gill perform at the Britt Festivals in Jacksonville, Oregon on June 12th and to my surprise, his steel player was Jaydee Manness.

During their break, I walked back to their bus and was able to speak with Jaydee for a few moments.

I had questions to ask him about the 1995 death of my friend, Red Rhodes and about the country music scene in Los Angeles when JayDee lives.

I had met JayDee before when I lived in Los Angeles (till 1992) and as I remembered him, he was a real polite gentleman.

Jaydee said that the country music scene in Los Angles has almost disappeared. Along with the demise of club venues, he said that there isn't much on the recording side either.

He mentioned that he's about to release his second instructional video. I checked the Vendors and Instructional Material on the SGF and there's NO mention of Jaydee's videos. How do you get Jaydee's video?

I didn't stay for the entire concert (I left during the first part of the second set) but Jaydee's playing was outstanding. He is still the fine musician that I remember from his Palamino Club days in Los Angeles.

In fact the Vince Gill concert was a real music treat. Vince has a great voice and all his musicians are very good.

If you get an opportunity to hear Vince and Jaydee in your area, go for it! Here's their schedule for the next few months:

http://vincegill.com/public/on_the_road.php#appearances

I look forward to getting information about obtaining Jaydee's instructional videos.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1956),
Fender PS 210 (1971) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820 (1960)
Al's Photographs at http://www.alsphotographs.com

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2003 10:23 am    

The shooting part of the video has been done but now comes the tedious task of the video and audio editing and the tabbing of all the licks. We hope to have it done by St. Louis. As usual- Jay Dee has an absolute ton of wonderful licks, stories, and hints on how he accomplishes some of his wizardry on the steel.

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2003 6:21 am    

Al,
Go to JayDee's web site at : www.jaydeemaness.com
You can order from there.

Carl West