The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Add Johnny Cox to The List
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 11:11 am    

Me and a friend of mine, Eddie Malray, went to see Connie Smith at the Ky Opry in Draffenville, Ky last nite and Johnny Cox was THE STEEL MAN. Dumplin was fluid in motion. Add him to the list of Great steel players. Eddie and me both discussed how relaxed he was all thru the show. I was really impressed with how good he could play the steel. So if you ever get the chance to see him play it will be your treat and very worth while. Also Steve, the house band steeler, was very good. These two gentlemen were very kind and gracious. So if you get the chance check'em out.---Kenny Ray

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 11:59 am    

Kenny...He's been on my list for years! Great player, great Steel Doctor, and a genuine great guy. My favorite Johnny Cox memory is from one of Jeff Newman's June Jam's. Jeff's universal, Jimmy Day's guitar with his set-up, Lloyd Green's not lowering the E's, and other guitars I can't remember, were all set up on stage. Johnny went from steel to steel and played every copedant flawlessly! And on top of that, he has probably the best steel job in Nashville playing with Connie Smith. What a show that must be. I hope they come to the Atlanta area soon.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 2:35 pm    

I'm gonna butt in on this one. I love Johnny's "Ballads, Shuffles and Swing" tape. I need the CD version bad! I got a chance to see the Triple Ten Zum up close a couple of years ago in Michigan.

Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 3:14 pm    

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 16 June 2003 at 08:15 PM.]

Tim Johnson

Cadiz, KY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 5:57 pm    

I also seen Johnny Cox with Connie Smith last night at the KY Opry,WOW, he is one smooth player and had a great tone on that new MSA. Connie also did a great job.

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 7:21 pm    

Listening to the PROS play make me want to chop my guitars up for kindling. So many licks to learn and so little time.

[This message was edited by Kenny Foy on 08 June 2003 at 08:22 PM.]

Roger Snively

Washington C.H.,Ohio USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 7:40 pm    

I saw Johnny a few years ago at a dinner theater (actually, it was around noon). I went down to see Darrel McCall and there was John doin the back up. He is a great picker, and a nice guy. Played good-good stuff.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 7:43 pm    

It's not all that important, generally speaking, however; for your information, the first neck of Johnny's T—Zum is an 11Str. neck. I'm sure “Mr. Tone” could do it with just 1Str.! “Johnny's Good Friend”, Big John, “Uh~” ƒƒ< wknsg®

------------------
‘Til L8R, “Uh~” ƒƒ< “Big John” wknsg® http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2003 9:53 pm    

JOHNNY is certainly a great player! Oh, and he has a great last name also!
~~W.COX~~

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2003 4:25 am    

I went to the ISGC in St. Louis for the first time in 1981. I remember Johnny Cox coming in and playing and he certainly left a great impression on me. If my memory serves me correctly he was driving a bus at the time for a rock band. Anyway, Johnny is still one fantastic player...Paul

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2003 5:53 am    

I'm not so happy with him!

He stole the two sweetest ladies in the entire musical world. Joan and Connie. It just taint fair that one person should have them bof!

Durn his hide.

Seriously folks, Johhny Cox is one of the all time greats. And relaxed is a good word. It's as though he has never had any of the hangups most of us are frustrated with. He simply plays it with dazzling wizardry with the greatest of ease.

God bless Johnny, Joan and Connie. They don't come any better than them,

carl

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2003 7:27 am    

Connie Smith has been performing at Renfro Valley every year for several years. She is due back again later this year. She is my all-time favorite female singer. Johnny, has always taken the time to talk with me, show me his guitars and even show me a lick or two if he has the time. I am wanting to see the new MSA, so I hope he brings it with him this year. I am the staff steeler here at Renfro Valley, so I don't get to hear alot of the headlining acts that come in. I make it a point to listen to as much of Johnny as possible. He just tears "I'll Come Runnin" up!!!

See you in a couple months Johnny!!!!

Greg

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2003 11:19 am    

Hey Kenny and Eddie, thanks so much for taking your Saturday night to come see Connie Smith. She is the very best female country singer ever and a delight to work with. Thank you all so much for your kind words for me. I feel so honoered that you guys would take the time to say such nice things. Steve, the steel player with the house band was so kind to me as all of the folks at the Kentucky Opry are. Thats a great place to see a country music show.
I must add a note concerning the comment that Kenny made about me looking so relaxed. First of all, Connie makes a steel player want to play and makes you feel at ease. Secondly this new MSA has made a difference for me. It is an instrument that allows me to think about playing the music and not the guitar. I have always felt that any instrument should be an extention of the player, or another part of the body. I look at it like this. The ideas come from the mind and travel through the hands, feet and knees (in the case of PSG) and the instrument. This should be a fluid motion. The MSA Millennium has allowed me to begin to play in this manner. It feels like part of me as apposed to a seperate instrument.
Thanks again guys.

------------------
The Steel Dr.
Johnny Cox P.S.D.
MSA Customer Service
www.msapedalsteels.com
www.thetimejumpers.com

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2003 3:53 pm    

No one has said one word about him not getting that Connie Smith job until after he married Joan and started taking steel lessons from her. She's "Not Bad For a Girl"