The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Christians Playing In Bands
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 1:02 pm    

Jim...when I said "If it's right for you then go for it" I wasn't saying to ignore the influence you have on the people around you. I wasn't saying that we should all be self-centered individuals with no regards for our influence on others. When I make decisions that affect my life and others' I try to take all things into consideration. My point more being, there are many Christians who are judgemental and who see nothing about nightclubs than anything more than the typical stereotype. They pass judgement and condemn people for doing almost anything other than going to a church function. I would hold no regard for these people in making my decisions for they are so narrow minded that they have no regard for my interests. I don't have a "if it feels good, do it" philosophy at all. Rather, my philosophy is one that takes others into consideration as long as they would do the same for me. I don't care how things look on the outside, it is the inner person that I try to see and I believe that that is what God will be looking at when the appropriate time comes.

Dave Alfstad

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 1:07 pm    

I know some "Christians" that tell me a Christian should not be using the Internet.

No kidding...

Closing post, per originators request.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 1:14 pm    

Dave, my apologies in misunderstanding what you were saying. I agree with your clarification. Jesse, thanks for clarifying your point too. I agree with your concept that getting to know a person Rick would show a lot of people something about Christians and have a good influence on them. All I question, is the actual number of people this will really happen for, compared with the number of people (who don't know Rick or another in this position) who would question the sincerity of his beliefs, just on the knowledge and negative perception of playing music in bars. Let me repeat I don't believe playing music in bars is bad. Just that for some people in some positions, such as preachers, it might never be a real great image-booster.