The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pleasant Surprise
B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 8:51 am    

Well, I don't know where to post this but wanted to share a pleasant experience with you all. I have been the staff steeler at Renfro Valley, Kentucky for the last 6 years. Last Friday nite, 10 minutes before the Barn Dance started, I found out that Billy Robinson was attending the show. I have known Billy for a few years and proud to call him my friend. As you know, Billy worked with the late Red Foley, not to mention others, who was one of the founding members of Renfro Valley. Was I nervous? You bet!! Took me half of the show to get my act together, knowing that a "Hall of Famer" is here and can eat my lunch WITHOUT pedals!!!!

Billy had come up with another musician, Jesse Giddens. They both know one of our comedians, Bun Wilson. Billy and Jesse stayed for the 2nd show, and by then I had calmed down. The last time Billy was here was 1945, and I think he was backing Foley then, not sure.

After the shows were over, Billy, Jesse, Bun, and myself went to Waffle House and drank coffee till around 2 am. Just listening to the stories that these three told was well worth the loss of a little sleep. You won't find a nicer gentleman that Mr. Robinson. If you ever get the chance to talk with him, by all means do it. Such a wonderful person, and, the GREAT road stories!!!!

Sorry for rambling, just made my weekend that much better!!!

Thanks Billy and Jesse!!!

Greg