The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Bill Mabe passes
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 11:12 am    

Yesterday, Bill Mabe of the Baldknobbers Theater in Branson, Missouri, passed away from complications with cancer. Bill played dobro on the show until he retired and Roger Blevins took his place playing steel and dobro. Bill, Bob, Jim, and Lyle Mabe started the Baldknobbers' Hillbilly Jamboree over forty years ago in downtown Branson. They entertained the fishermen and tourists who came to visit the sleepy little town. The Mabes moved their show out on highway 76 to a more modern theater with a restaurant and motel. Brother Bob Mabe sold his interest in the show to his brothers and started Bob-O-Links Country Theater which later became the Osmond Brothers theater. Brother Lyle Mabe retired as comedian on the show, and then Bill retired. This left Jim and the Mabe offspring to run the show. Unfortunately, Jim Mabe passed away awhile back with cancer, and now Bill is gone too. Fortunately, the Mabe youngin's and the Baldknobbers cast still put on a fine quality family show carrying on the tradition of the first and best country music show in Branson. Bill Mabe was a quiet, fun loving man, and I was very proud to call him my friend. He will be missed. May God grant him peace. My sincerest condolences go out to the Mabe family and all of Bill's friends. Michael Breid-Ozark Mountains, Arkansas