The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Debut: Self Review and Thanks
Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 10:24 am    

Well.....I DID IT!!!!!

I survived my debut as a steeler. What a rush! I'm so excited I could pee in my pants. And Ray Jenkins was right....it went by way too fast.

I feel that I played very well for a first-timer. In fact, no major blunders, like wrong notes or chords.
I did miss a few notes in runs from a little nervousness, but who would really notice but me?
I recorded myself and, after listening to the tape, one adjustment I have to make is to play a little more low key, or less.
I'm a little too busy.
This probably comes from my playing bass for seven years where you play continously.
There is definately a discipline in NOT playing too much.
Does anyone else have this problem?

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to those who helped me get this far in my first year:

Carol, my wife, who has offered support and positive reinforcement (she's got to be tone deaf);

Paul Carie, from Vincennes, IN, my mentor, for his friendhsip, patience and his experienced, guiding hands;

Bud Hall, Evansville, IN, for his professional help in selecting a nice first instrument and his technical and practical expertise, and reassurance;

Jeff Newman, Steve Palousek, Buddy Emmons, Bobbe Seymour, and Doug Jernigan for their great instructional materials.

and the many of you who have offered your expert advice and guidance on many topics.
I hope you can realize the wealth of information on this forum, and the impact it has on the steel world.

My Lord!!!! I just realized that this sounds like an Oscar Award acceptance speech. I apologize for that because I deserve no award, but I want these folks to know that I appreciate them and what they have provided.

Now......I must get to work on year two!

Tony Orth
Dekley S-11
Session 400
Understanding Wife

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 10:26 am    

Great, Tony! Please just remember us on your way back down!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 12:12 pm    

Or on your way up if that is the case! One piece of advise that I could give you would be is to do your thing and then back out and let another lead instrument have it. I make it a point to let the others know when I have finished by completely taking my hands off the guitar for a few seconds to let it be known that I will not be playing on top of someone else. I think it works both ways when the others realize that you are bandwise in this respect they are more likely to not run over you when you are playing. I think one of the single most problems in bands of "weekend warriors" like many of us is that folks don't know when to lay out and let someone else have it. When this is not the case it often becomes a busy sounding noise rather than enjoyable music. If you heed this advise you will for sure enhance your chances of employment and you will find it much more enjoyable.
Jerry

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 1:05 pm    

Thanks Jim,
I don't know if I can fly that high. In any case it won't be like a jet. More like a blimp. Kind of reminds me of that Hindenburg thing.

Jerry,
Thanks for that suggestion. I've seen my mentor do that, now that you mention it. Makes a lot of sense and it's an easy communication.

Tony

Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2001 6:47 pm    

Tony,
An excellent piece of advice from Jerry Roller. I have worked with a few lead pickers and keyboarders who never could get the meaning of "laying out". Makes for a miserable night........
Les Green

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2001 11:00 am    

Sorry to have to do this too you but,I do hereby declare you hooked on steel guitar.May heaven help you. Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2001 11:58 am    

Welcome to the fivemiles high club
JJ

Wendell Neal

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2001 5:12 pm    

Tony, Welcome to the disease of steel guitar!!! Just remember, no matter how much you progress, its not how much you play, but how well. If you only know a few licks, PLAY THEM PROFESSIONALLY! Also, be tasteful, nobody likes a steady diet of steel all night long! Its not knowing a thousand licks, its where you put them.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2001 5:43 am    

It is a disease and I am hooked, as my wife will attest.

Now here's my nightmare: Picture that halloween decoration of the witch who's crashed into a tree, wall, whatever. That's me on the steel.

Thanks guys.