The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob White
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 12:52 pm    

Long before I knew his name, Bob's steel work on the early Hank Thompson ext-play 45 recordings were getting into my listening habits. Little did I realize that one day I would meet him and actually get to know him on a personal basis. Before I played pedals; I was using a D-8 National then; he was teaching me pedals.

He played standing up in those days and to watch him shift between a volume pedal and a Bigsby floor pedal was a sight to behold. His hands, to me, were as big as my Dad's and I wondered how he could play so fast with such large fingers but he surely did it.

He first showed me how to raise the high third a half tone and lower the low third a half tone. I think he called it an F13th and I liked it so well that it became the second neck tuning for me. The other being a C6th with a tenor guitar string in front tuned to a high G.

Years later and across the ocean, I got my first pedal steel. I immediately put the Bob White Trademark pedal, M7/M9 and the one
I just mentioned on the thirds, as my first two basic changes. I used them so much that to this day they are the most used pedals on my 6th neck.

He did two other things that were Bob White Hallmarks but, that over the years I haven't used any longer. One was the Universally known Volume Chop with three hits at the end of many HT songs. The other I noticed him doing one night and because I couldn't see from standing on the floor to over the top of the Bigsby, I asked him about it.

At the end of a song, on the fade out, he used his little finger, right hand, pulling backwards over the strings. He did it starting high and working lower. Something like chimes but not chimes. Old HT fans know exactly what I am referring too.

Last Saturday as we finished up God Bless Texas, I did that very move. I don't think I've done it in the last 15 or 20 years and I have no idea why I did it then. The band looked at me as if to say: What the H- - - was that but I let it lie there.

Those early influences last for a lifetime !!

Best Regards, Paul

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 4:55 pm    

Hi Paul, that was a great post.
While i was reading it I just remembered something I read recently at the Leon McAuliffe website put together by Brad's Pages Of Steel.

It mentioned that Bob recorded for Leon's Cimmaron label after Bob left Hank's employ. I think the sides were credited to Bob White and The Bob-O-Links!
I haven't heard anything on Bob and his medical condition for a while, I hope he's doing well as my thoughts turn to him every so often.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 4:57 pm    

Strange!!! just today I ran across an old HT
tape @ Golden Nugget w/Garret.Got me to thinkin bout the old days Roly Poly etc.
Bob White was with HT when he used 2 steels
I think ??
Paul,you got me thinking.and a little misty eyed and cold chills,nobody does it like that anymore where did all the big bands go.
Is Bob still with us?

Bill Ford

------------------

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 5:29 pm    

Bill and Jason; Thanks for the nice replies.
I think, in a way, I was also asking: Has anyone heard any news about Bob because I haven't. The last I heard over a year ago, Reece and I were talking about him and a heart condition. He also told me that Bob has a brother who plays steel.

And, there was a very nice article about him in SGWM but that also was some time back.

When Bobby Garrett and Buddy Emmons played twin steels with the Ernest Tubb tours and records, I was always reminded of Bob White
and others who played dual steels. I never saw that in person but I know that would have been a show and a half.

Bob also got a good laugh at my expence one night. After Billy Gray opened, they called Hank out and he picked up that guitar and played exactly like Merle Travis.....I just looked and looked....couldn't believe my own ears. He's a singer I thought. He can't play like that !! But he did !! Bob said they used to both play on one guitar and switch hands while they did.

I was very young then but I can see and hear it, as I near 70, as well as I did back then.

Best Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 11 October 2001 at 06:35 PM.]

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 7:02 pm    

Hank Thompson had the 'Whos Who" of steel players over the years. Bob White set Hank's style for other players to follow. He was also very innovative originating his 10 string tuning. Bob White and PeeWee Whitewing played twin steels with Hank and were able to do the horn parts on the two steels. I also put on an old hank Thompson LP and get real misty eyed. Those were some of the greatest days of our music. Let us know how you are doing Bob. My Email is burhlsanders@yahoo.com. Your true friend, Jody.

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2001 11:42 am    

I talked with Bobby on the phone today and his spirits were high. He is enthusiastic, and has a very positive attitude concerning some newly developed procedures which will begin next week.

He is a treasure to many of us, and a dear friend to me as well. I'm continually inspired by his uplifting spirit. He will be in my prayers continually.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2001 12:57 pm    

Thanks for the info Maurice, Bob is most certainly a treasure to the world of music. He has been in my prayers for a long time and will continue until he is healed. Jody.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2001 6:00 pm    

He played very smooth and tasteful on everything I ever heard him do. Also, wasn't Bob the staff player on the Opry for a few years?

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2001 11:27 am    

Hi guys, thanks for the answers, Reece.. special thanks for the update on Bob as well.

Paul, I think that Hank first met Merle in 1948 during a recording session, from then on in they seemed to be pretty tight friends right to the end. One might say that with Merle as a picking buddy Hank sure had a good start, but there's definately no denying talent.
When Hank trimmed down his band in the 1960s, it certainly helped that he could play such killer lead.

Jason

John Robel

colbert washington
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2001 11:09 pm    

Ole Hank can still knock em out,I think his new Seven Decades CD is fantastic!!!!

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2001 2:34 pm    

Hank's "Seven Decades" CD is great as is "Hank and Friends"(1997, the last music Bobby Garrett recorded with Hank)! Pat Garrett said Hank Thompson said to her,"Let's get Gary Hogue to play steel 'cause Bobby Garrett taught him how to play it!" Also, everyone at the session said they could feel Bobby's presence during the whole session as Gary played.
Bobby Garrett loved Bob White's playing with Hank. Bob White's 10-10-8 string Bigsby influenced Garrett to order the FIRST dbl-10 Sho-Bud ever made while Emmons and Day were still playing 8 and 9 string versions before EVERYONE gravitated to that dbl-10 configuration. Those Brazos Valley Boys really were something with Lefty Nason inventing that Hank sound that every BVB steel player had to do. Another giant to me was Dubert Dobson on trumpet with Hank. Boy did they tear it up on the live at Cheyenne Frontier Days(1961)Hank Thompson album on "Rose City Chimes"!!!

Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2001 3:23 am    

What an amazing guy Jason Odd is, his knowledge on the music industry is incredible. Jason,thank you for sharing with us all you add so much to this fantastic forum. Keep it up mate.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2001 5:50 am    

Geoff: Let me add a Great Big Second to your comments. I have always anticipated posts by Jason and his knowledge is readily apparent for all to see. He is a decided asset to the Forum !!

Regards, Paul

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2001 10:44 am    

Wayne...thanks for mentioning Dubert Dobson. He was a friend of mine and I still stay in touch with his son. I try to forward to him anything that anyone mentions about "Gar" and he is always appreciative when someone remembers his dad..... As several have mentioned above, the 50s and 60s were the "golden days". www.genejones.com