The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sunday in Dixie
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 10:06 am    

I have an old record with this tune on it by Buddy Emmons. Does anyone know the chord sequence? There's one chord on it that I can't get, and I would be grateful for any assistance.
Thanks,
Richard Burton.

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 11:21 am    

Richard
if you do a search on this title you'll find a few threads that say this track is really two tunes joined together (Closer Walk With Thee and When They RIng Those Goldeb Bells). I've got Scotties tab to both of these (from his Gospel collection) and the chords are all pretty straightforward. Could be that in the BE version he embellishes the basic tune, of course.
I've got the track myself so if you tell me how many seconds into the track the unknown chord is I'll see if I can identify it
Mick

[This message was edited by mickd on 14 September 2001 at 12:22 PM.]

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 12:26 pm    

Richard
Which of the two numbers are you stuck on, The "Golden Bells" (for short) is one of my favourite numbers, I have the Jimmy Day version on the album "In Jesus name we Pray" absolutely beautiful album, I have done a BIAB backing track for it, if you want a copy e- your adress and I'll send you one or I'll put it on here as a download if someone can tell me how it's done. I also have Sunday in Dixie by BE on the Stars of Steel guitar album. Jimmy's version is very different from Buddy's, so if you want a copy of Jimmy's version, no prob's P.R.A. permitting.
Cheers for now Richard
Dave.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 2:01 pm    

I used to have the Starday album, and I read one time that "Sunday in Dixie" was a misnomer... the wrong title. The tune is actually La Golondrina according to what I read. That would certainly account for the "very different version".

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 6:56 pm    

Doug,

On the Starday label, Buddy's recording of "La Golondrina" is actually mis-titled as "Singing Strings". It's not a religious song as you know but it definitely can evoke the emotions of the listener. "La Golondrina" means "The Swallow" and is an absolutely beautiful and moving little piece of music, no matter who plays it. You enjoy it most when you can get the picture in your mind of the tiny cliff swallow's swooping, diving, climbing flight, finally coming to rest on its high, sheltered perch and tucking-in its wings. "La Golondrina" has been performed by countless music students, by symphony orchestras, concert pianists, mariachi bands, Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys, Buddy Emmons, and me. Although it isn't a religious song, it is definitely an inspired work IMHO. After nearly 4 decades it still touches my heart in a big way.

Tim R.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2001 12:19 am    

It is a passing chord that Buddy does approx 1 min 30 secs into the tune. I was listening to see what the backing chord is, but the record (Stars of the steel guitar) is so indistinct that maybe the backing is straightforward and it is only the steel playing the passing chord.
Dave, I don't know if my computer can play BIAB files, my e-mail address should be in my profile at the top of this post.
Thanks,Richard.