The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 5:27 am    

Julian . . No words to describe his playing. Had the pleasure of an after hours jam session with him at the Imperial Inn in the 70's . . . Absolutly amazing !

Carl West

Carl West

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 6:08 am    

Julian . . . What a picker ! No words to describe his playing. I had the pleasure of setting in with him one night at the Imperial Inn and was just blown away with what he did ! Increible is all I can say.

Carl West

Carl West

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 6:10 am    

Julian . . . What a picker ! No words to describe his playing. I had the pleasure of setting in with him one night at the Imperial Inn and was just blown away with what he did ! Increible is all I can say.

Carl West

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 6:10 am    

Carl, you can say that again! Oh, you already did!

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 8:22 am    

Carl...uuuhhhh.you related to MMMMMEL?
regards..fred

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 8:47 am    

Can anyone out there post a copy of his copedant? I saw one years ago in Winnie Winston's book but I can't find that anymore since my last move. I remember that after hours jam Carl West was mentioning. What a great night. The old Imperial Inn was the place back then. I saw my first steel guitar show there in '68 or '69 which was put on by Blackie Taylor and featured Maurice Anderson & Tom Morrell, talk about some pickin'!!! Morrell was playin' pedals then.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 10 September 2001 at 09:50 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 9:31 am    

Terry Wood:
You listenin'???????
Smile
I believe Terry uses Julian's tuning and would probably be our best resource. I would also be interested in seeing his copedent, particularly in the years between when Winnie's book was published and Julian's tragic death.

I seem to recall one of his early 'Jet XIV' Sho-Buds with more stuff hanging off it than you can shake a stick at. 10x10 or 10x8 maybe? More pulls than a taffy factory.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 12:08 pm    

Let me say this about Julian he was an origional. No one I know can or even trys to play like Him. My Wife and I were on vacation and saw Julian play. He played Danny Boy with no Bar. When he was done my wife had tears in hear eyes. The only other steel player that makes my wife cry is me, but not for the same reasons.
I told my wife I want Julian to play that at my funeral. Well Terry you may have to sub for Julian some day so pratuice up. I hope you have a long time to pratice.

I guess if you have never made a mistake or have never done a bad deed then you may be in a position to judge Julian. I am not in that position nor do I know many people who are! I will leave that to Julian's maker. I will only judge his music and his talent which were both great.

[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 10 September 2001 at 03:08 PM.]

Rich Mounce

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 12:21 pm    

Hey Guys. Just wanted to let you know that we are in the process of adding some Julian Tharpe music real soon to Steelradio.com playlist. I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago in Nashville when I was still working the road and what a great player and a super nice guy he was. Keep listening!

Rich Mounce
Promotion Director http://steelradio.com http://countryupdate.net

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 5:01 pm    

By the way Carl West is one sun of a gun Picker who needs to take a back seat to no one....

------------------
CJC

Carl West

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 5:16 am    

Julian . . . What a picker ! Had the pleasure of sitting in with him in the 70's
at the Imperial Inn. The man was a true artist . . He absolutly blew me away with what he did. Incridiable player !

Carl West

Carl West

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 5:18 am    

Julian . . . What a picker ! Had the pleasure of sitting in with him in the 70's
at the Imperial Inn. The man was a true artist . . He absolutly blew me away with what he did. Incridiable player !

Carl West

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2001 11:11 am    

To sun it all up...Julian was just about a genius!!The "Jet Age" was one of my prized posessions untill I lost it in a fire..I tried to "Copy" some of his stuff ..but how?
He did set the bar higher..and I'll bet that some of todays greats..(and my heros) picked up a lot of Julians licks..Why?..WHY NOT!!
Grouchyvet