The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Whatever happened to "Big John"?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 7:48 am    

Back in the '60's, I remember a good steelman who went by the name of "Big John". His real name was Jack Turner. Does anyone know what became of him? (Maybe Wayne Tyler does.)

Rich Mounce

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 4:11 pm    

Donny...Was just going back through some of the older posts and found this one. Wonder if the Big John you are talking about was "Big" John Becktel (sp). I worked the road with him in the early 70's and he played really well. He carried two six guns (blanks) and loved to do fast draw. Always looked funny to see "BIG JOHN" practice his fast draw. When I took a set down gig in Peoria, Il I brought John there for the first few weeks while I was putting together a house band. Not sure if this is the same guy or not. I actually lost contact with him after that. I think if I remember right he was originally from New Jersey or somewhere up there....

Rich Mounce
Promotion Director http://steelradio.com http://countryupdate.net

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 4:29 pm    

Thanks for responding, Rich...but this must be a different guy. The guy I remember as Big John gave me his autograph, and signed it "Jack Turner". I saw him at Sunset Park, in Pennsylvania in the mid '60s. Solid player, and I think he played a D-10 Sho~Bud. As I recall him, he was a big barrel-chested guy with black hair and a beard...somewhat like Tim Taylor's (Tim Allen's) sidekick, Al Borland, on the TV show "Tool Time". I just thought someone here might remember him, too.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2001 2:13 pm    

Big John Bectel is here in Nashville and is playing a Franklin stereo. He's a big guy with a beard, very relaxed type and likes to experiment with different tunings.