The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour w/o finger picks
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 6:20 am    

Wow. I saw Bobbe at the Fessenden Steel Guitar booth playing Jim Cohen's Fessenden Steel and he was not using any finger picks. In spite of not having all the required equipment(finger picks) he played great and sounded just like his famous signature sound. He even played his thumb style without any picks. I wonder what he could without a guitar. We know Bobbe can fly, but can he leap tall steel guitars at a single bound.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 10:11 am    

Dan, I sound a lot better with out a guitar!Or amp,Or cords,or bar,or------ I just don't want to bore anyone with all this talent.
Just kidding, thanks for the recognition,actually, I couldn't find any finger picks to stee,---I mean borrow,but I sound the same with or without.I played a job Sunday night at the Nashville Palace and used no picks. Sometimes they just arn't comfy.The longer I don't use them, the less I need them. Thanks Dan, and all!
Bobbe

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 10:35 am    

Bobbe, I'm an amateur player who has been playing without picks for years. Am I understanding you correctly when you say there is no difference in your sound with or without picks? Do you get the same sustain both ways?
By the way I just ordered a few sets of your
cobra strings and i'm very satisfied. Especially the .011s', they seem to stretch out quicker than some other brands which is a big plus when I break a string in the middle of a set.

Mark McAfee

Taylors, SC, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 5:43 pm    

Not that it matters...but as a BEGINNER...Ive never been comfortable w/ any picks. Kinda weird because I play bass too and DO USE A PICK.

Does anybody know of any OTHER pro players who dont use picks?

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 7:27 pm    

Bob G. and Mark, I've used picks for many years, all my recording has been with picks,however in owning this steel guitar store and having to play a few notes scatterd out over the day,I never had time to adjust the picks to the right feeling position before it was time to take them off again. So -----over the years it became more and more comfortable to play without them.
Yes there is a tone diffrence,but I feel I have more control over the tone without picks than with them.The notes all sound pretty much the same with picks.Without picks
I can actually "get a better hold" of the note and can control tone better. Finger nails pretty well have to be in good condition though.
As I walked up to Jim Coen's Fessenden guitar at the convention,it was only natural to ask for a bar and thumb pick only, as most players don't want you to bend their finger picks.Tone again? And speed? Both can be better without picks,after practice! Sustain is the same as sustain is a function of the guitar, not the picks.
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 05 September 2001 at 08:32 PM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 11:43 pm    

i don't use finger or thumb picks.
i know it's uncommon amongst Steelers.
i could'nt ( or did'nt want to ) get use to 'em.
i use the meat and not my nails.
i do the same playin' Guitbox.
i'm no reference in technique or tone tho'.
Steel can play without 'em

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 8:27 am    

I do believe Bobbe can play with his feet as well. I do know however,,,he has to remove his socks before doing so,,
How big are your toe mails Bobbe,??,,,Imagine the grips you could get with your toe,,,but what would you do with your hands??? wave to the audience??

And that big toe would give a bigger sound than your thumb...but you have to have a "pedicure" before performing,,,,anyone have any objection to Bobbe removing his socks??

There is a remedy for that,,,how about "slip ease ,,,,no WD 40 will not help,,,,baby powder?? maybe.....Hope I didnt put my foot into something here,,,,,

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 9:16 am    

There is an intrinsic "mushy" sound without the pick. How do you get the sharp attack on the leading edge of the note?

Leroy

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 2:13 pm    

Fingernails!------------

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 7:46 pm    

Bobbe sounded great on the Fessy- I couldn't believe that he wasn't using picks- no difference! Ah well- another widely held theory bites the dust~