The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Biggar?
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 6:58 pm    

Texan steel player Jimmy Biggar (aka Bigger, Biggars, or Biggers); passed away earlier this year, although relativley unknown he was part of Blackie Crawford's Western Cherokees.
Other steel players in the group included Pee Wee Whitewing, Bobby Black, Curly Chalker, Bobby Garrett, and Corlue Bordelon among others.
Jimmy Biggar, was not only a regular for the Western Cherokees in 1954, but also plays
on the Phantom Rider Trio's sides on K-Pep, possibly on George Jones's "No Money In This Deal" (Starday 130) and a lot of the '54 Starday artists material as the WCs tended to be the label's house band, they also backed Jones quite a lot in 1954 into 1955.
Writer Rich Kinenzle listed the Western Cherokees in the Bear Family Ray Price CD box set as including Jimmy Bigger on steel guitar, of course one version of the WCs became the first version of Price's Cherokee Cowboys, so one would assume that Jimmy did a stint with Ray, however brief.

Any thoughts?

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 8:03 pm    

Jimmy did tour with Price. There is an old film clip out there somewhere showing Jimmy with Price. Jimmy was playing the "Skull Orchards" in Kilgore, Gladewater, and Longview as was myself and Bobby Garrett in the early 50's. We all served a little time with Blackie who was a real nice person. best regards, Jody.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 8:05 pm    

Jason, I've heard of Jimmy Biggers all my life and may have met him in my learning days in west Texas. I know a lot of the players from that era and area should know him. Tom Morrell, Maurice A, Leon Thomas,Johnny Gimbal,All of the western swingsters must remember him. I think a lot of these "older guys" still haven't traded their horses for computers yet though,maybe they know something we don't! Ask Herb Remington, I bet he knew him also. Sorry to hear he's gone,another bit of history lost. Bobbe

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 8:15 pm    

Hi guys, thanks for the response, gosh you Texas cats are great!
Jody, you worked with Blackie as well, holy ..if you don't mind me asking but who with and whenabouts, I'm a bit of a Blackie fanatic?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 10:28 pm    

I've heard my dad speak of a Jim Biggers he met when he was stationed in Texas.This would have been in the early 50's.Dad thought the guy was great.Mr.Biggers gave dad a lot of pointers.He taught him Chalker's intro or turn around,maybe both to Hank Thompsons Crying in the deep blue sea.----bb

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 11:02 am    

Jimmy Biggars was on some of the Galloway videos with Price.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association