The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jay Dee Maness in Norway
steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 11:59 pm    

Jay Dee did it again over here!
This time he not only played the Desert Rose songs together with Dag Wolf's great band, but he also played two church concerts and one evening with Buck Owens songs as well as more general country. Also, Jay Dee assisted Bengt Erlandsen in defining the Maness style on the steel guitar.
Jay Dee is very popular over here and having had the pleasure of being with him - and his lovely wife Luaine - over an extended weekend, it's easy to see why the audiences just didn't want to stop clapping their hands after Jay Dee's solos.
He knows when to play and when not to, and when he does, the important thing is - according to Jay Dee himself - "to really make it count."
And that he excels at, whether it be spitting out 16th. notes at machine gun speed or playing the sweetest slow back up licks to gospel tunes.
No wonder Buddy Emmons here at the Forum was quoted as saying that a session with Jay Dee had taught him "not to try to cop Jay Dee's licks."
Here in Norway we have had the good fortune of having had Jay Dee Maness attend two steel conventions, - and if we should judge by the audience reception that he got, Jay Dee should probably be our annual guest!
Our hats off to a great steel ambassador!

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 11:39 pm    

I've known Jay Dee since the mid sixties. He's one of the nicest guys to be around, and as everyone knows, he's one of the best players on the planet. I met his Mom and Dad about two years ago. It's easy to see where he got his attitude. He says Quote: "I'm just another steel player." Not in my opinion. He definitely deserves the gig with Vince Gill.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 12:02 am    

Steinar, congrats on your show!!
JD is a great player.
Spoken about great players:
In Danmark I met a Swedisch player, last name was Johansen, I believe, he was doing a great job on his pp Emmons. Do you know who he is, is he online? Thanks, Johan

Bob Feher

Center Moriches, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 11:54 am    

Went to see Vince Gill at Westbury Music Fair(Long Island) last night ,and didn't know who the steel player was until I saw J.D. Maness stenciled on the Pac a seat sitting there on the stage.I've heard him but have never seen him in person,and after being spoiled with John Hughey for years I wasn't dissapointed.He has a fluent style like the other greats,and knows what to do,and when. Vince Gill is one of my favorite artists but last night ,for me, belonged to Jay Dee Maness.Does anyone know what Emmons guitar he plays, and what rig he's got? His tone was great.

[This message was edited by Bob Feher on 26 August 2001 at 01:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Feher on 26 August 2001 at 03:59 PM.]

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 3:16 pm    

That Jay Dee Maness impressed you at Westbury is another testimonial to the the Man's prowess as a player. Because prior to appearing there, he had flown from Norway via Amsterdam to Los Angeles, spent a few hours there, and then took an overnight flight to New York. There he made it to a hotel, got a couple of hours rest before having to do the sound check. That he even so - jet-lagged and tired - manages to make such an impact with his playing on Gill's songs, that he makes you forget Hughey, says it all.
Viva Maness!

Bob Feher

Center Moriches, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 12:36 pm    

Well, I didn't exactly mean I forgot about John Hughey,cause I haven't,but what I really meant was that his style really fit in even though I consider it different than John's,and thats what style is all about anyway in my opinion.I enjoyed the things he did, although different than Hughey. I just got into what he was playing more than the show itself alot of the time that night(except Vince's solos).Two great styles...Two great musicians.

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 11:10 pm    

I should add here that there was no disrespect towards John Hughey intended when I wrote that "Jay Dee Maness`playing made you forget John Hughey," - and I'm glad that you - Bob - pointed out my faux pas.
I have the utmost respect for Hughey and I love his playing. But like you pont out, Bob, personal style is what makes star players and what I failed to express clearly, was that if Jay Dee's personal style was impressive enough to entertain you and to make you concentrate on the steel playing - even though Hughey's classic solos and breaks are always there as a reference point - then I think I'll let my final word stand - viva Maness!