The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rock n Roll players turning Steel
Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 7:56 pm    

I have read a lot in this forum about country rock players playing Steel. What about guys like Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on the old Steely Dan records. Has anyone ever heard Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones play steel guitar on a song for Rod Stewert calle "Mandolin Wind" ("sing it again Rod album"). Obviously Rod could have used anyone he wanted on this session, I almost think Ron was fooling around with a Steel in the studio for the first time and they decided to roll the tape. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting him down. That's just how things happen.I think Skunk Baxter actually sounded pretty good on his cuts. I love that Album of Steely Dan "Can't buy a thrill". Maybe you could call Ron Wood the richest Steel Player in the World? Okay !!!
I'll STOP!!!! Anyone care to TAB this out for me...Allright ..I'm out

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 5:33 am    

I don't know about Ronnie Wood, but I think Jeff Baxter was one of the best of the seventies' crop of rock guitarists turning to steel....
He also on two tracks from the follow-up album, 'Countdown To Ecstasy' - "Pearl of the Quarter" is nice, but his eight-bar solo on "Razor Boy" would do credit to anyone - it's lovely.
Ray Brown plays bass on this tune, by the way.
Although hearing Emmons on Ray Charles' "Wichita Lineman" was my personal inspiration to take up steel, the band I was playing with wanted to do some of these Steely Dan tunes and that was all the push I needed.....

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 6:04 am    

Several years ago I saw Ron Wood attempt to play the steel with the Stones on TV. He was obviously (to me at least) just a beginner. I don't know whether or not he is doing us all a favor or a disservice. One one hand, it was great to see the Stones with a steel, exposing thier audience to the instrument. On the other, he really wasn't very good.

Hopefully he has gotten a lot better since then.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 7:19 am    

How about David Gilmore (Roger Waters/Pink Floyd) ?

Go here http://www.mphase.com/lounge.htm
and look 5 down on the left side

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 8:59 am    

Jeff Skunk Baxter is a Steeler in my book
but Woody Wood ain't in it !
Steel ain't convinced yet.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 3:19 pm    

..thanks for that link, John...nice site, I just saw Duane Allman play in 1970...neat..

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 3:58 pm    

There is also a country-rock band called the Marshall Tucker Band, and the steel player was Toy Caldwell. He played some good steel on a song called "Fire On The Mountain" that the Marshall Tucker Band recorded. Toy also played guitar too. Brett Day, Emmons S-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 4:40 pm    

Baxter I think is in a different class than most other rock guitarists that also play steel. He was able to play steel or guitar on sessions even before he was famous. I think he put a lot more time into it.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 8:57 am    

Hey Brett,
speaking of Toy Caldwell, check out a tune by the Charlie Daniels Band, Damn Good Cowboy on their Nightrider album. Toy played some pretty good steel on that one.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 10:10 am    

Quote:
One one hand, it was great to see the Stones with a steel, exposing thier audience to the instrument. On the other, he really wasn't very good.

No doubt Mike, but you must admit that "Faraway Eyes" has a certain rustic charm to it

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 28 August 2001 at 11:11 AM.]

Jonathan Gregg

New York City
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 4:38 pm    

hmmm... well, Ron Wood is pretty darn great as a guitarist, but pretty awful as steel player, IMHO.
Saw Springsteen earlier in the year and Nils Lofgren played steel on a song, not too bad. Boy can he play guitar though.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 4:50 pm    

Quote:
speaking of Toy Caldwell, check out a tune
Yeah, he was out a tune

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 5:07 pm    

What about steel players who played rock, you know country pickers who went a rockin'

Billy Williamson was with Bill Haley in the early rock years, although Bill eventually opted for a sax player.
While Bobby Black played in various rock outfits in the 1960s, the Green Beans, the 5 whispers and Sneaky Pete Kleinow played with Sir Raleigh & the Coupons (aka the Norm Raleigh Band), a Los Angeles outfit that went to Seattle and cut some rock sides which some collectors to this day swear are by a Northwest rock band, not a bunch of L.A. country pickers!

There was of course Santo & Johnny, who took the steel into pop, while there where several surf outfits in the early 1960s that utilised a steel player.

Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 5:49 am    

What about Jimmy Page? He didn't exactly "turn steel" insofar as his career, but he added a nice steel part to Zep's "Tangerine."

BTW-
Jeff Baxter recently said in an interview (Guitar Player, perhaps?) that his session work lately is almost entirely steel.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 7:56 am    

Hey Brett,

"Fire on the Mountain" has some of the best steel ever played. Some guys complain it is too much steel, but the song is awesome, and is perfectly done.

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 9:41 am    

Brett; Our band here in the Middle Georgia area does a song by Toy called: Can't You See. I used to hang back on the steel because it may have seemed inappropriate. But the steel really lays in there nicely and thanks to you, I now know why.

I too thought the playing on Fire was out of tune but years of hearing it has made it more acceptable. I guess our ears really can learn to accept new sounds after all.
It's that dang sitar sound I can't tolerate !

Best Regards, Paul

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 9:51 am    

...Paul, the sitar sounds great on "Lotus Blossom Special"...

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 10:54 am    

I better clarify that statement. I do like it in a western concept. It's in the original native India mode that gets me shakey. I keep thinking there's a cobra around me somewhere or maybe even a herd of elephants on stampede. Maybe I've just seen too many movies. It isn't a nice warm feeling like you get when you wet your britches and that's what it makes me think I'm going to do. Bagpipes maybe but not a native sitar.

Regards, Paul