The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For a Gig In New York City
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 6:04 pm    

I'm from the New York City, Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey area. I'd like to get into a band that plays standards from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Styles would include Dixieland Jazz, pop/blues/jazz standards, Big Band Swing, and Rockabilly. I'm an accomplished C6 player and can play all those styles, equally versed in orchestrating arrangements and improvisation. If any of you could give me a lead to a band or orchestra that does this kind of stuff and has an open mind with respect to trying a steel, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance. .. Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 15 August 2001 at 07:30 PM.]

Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 6:12 am    

Jeff, It sounds like you are now comfortable with the 11 string C-6. CONGRADULATIONS!!!Ben Jack

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 8:58 am    

Hi Ben,
Yeah, it's worked out fine. I've just gotten a little tired of playing so much country/pop and would love to be in a band styled on the old standards. I sat in with a Dixieland Jazz group and it was a blast, and now I'd like to find a situation where I could be a regular member. Thanks for writing!

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 11:14 am    

Wow! If you get a gig with a Dixieland jazz band, let us know! I would defintely come to NY to see that gig!

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 5:04 pm    

Jeff.
There is a gentleman by the name of Mike Dee
lives in Hicksville LI NY ,,,he is the uncle
of Santo & Johnny,,,,he was the one who started them off.

He is a nice guy and I have worked many gigs with him,,,,he loves steel guitar,,,and why shouldnt he,,look at his nephews.

I understand he books groups in and around the LI area although he is not playing drums
any longer,,but knows many people,,,,he has no computer.

But will call him and ask if he has any ideas
if anyone know the music scene on Long Island
Mike will know,,,,,called me a couple of years ago for a 6 nighter,,,,good money but too long a drive for me since I moved to Pa.
Will check it out for you,,,,,have known Mike since 56,,,,,,we got old together in the same "tempo" FAST,,,,,,,

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 5:34 pm    

Tony, I almost pulled it off. I sat in with this group called "The Flying Neutrinos", a group that spends most of the time in New Orleans but regularly comes out this way, with a couple of CD's out, who are very stylized musically and vocally, and play standards and original songs based on Dixieland and pop standards from the 20's to 50's. When I played with them, they had four horn players and it was just something else. Several of the members liked it, including the leader, but it was a very hard sell. I only got 10 minutes (3 songs) to convince them. Hard to do in any situation, let alone into something like this where the last thing any of them figured they needed was a pedal steel. Over the next couple of weeks, the leader kept saying that she really liked it, and I thought I had 'em leaning, but in the end, the best I could get was that they said they would call me for some songs on their next record, which doesn't mean much to me, considering they will have long forgotten about me by then. It was a real tough sell and I just couldn't get them to say yes. If I could have had a whole gig, or maybe a rehearsal, I think I would have won them over. The trouble is that this music is so stylized, with very clearly defined roles for the electric guitar and horns, and no place for a steel guitar. I would have had to work with them to develop it, and I know I could have, but in the end, they had no incentive or reason to give the steel a real try. Like Ricky Davis told me, it would have been the first time in history that a Dixieland Jazz group would have asked a pedal steel to join them. Anyway, I'm sure I can get something else to work. Maybe I'll get a lead from this post. I spoke with Bob Hoffnar and he had some viable suggestions, and a couple of the posts here show some promise. Thanks for listening. Regards, Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 16 August 2001 at 06:47 PM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 5:35 pm    

Jody, I appreciate tremendously any help you can give me. Please keep me posted. Thanks so much. .. Jeff

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 4:24 am    

Anyone have some other possibilities?

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 4:17 pm    

When I go looking for a certain situation to play in I usually wind up putting the band together myself. First find out if there's a market for that kind of band in your area and if you think you can book it, put an add in the paper or at the union hall if you're a member. There's got to be a million guys in your area that would love to play that stuff again. Now if you had 4 girls to sing like The Lennon sisters you'd have it made. Just hold rehearsals or auditions and you'll probably have a song list in no time at all. I'm trying to think of that new young cat from The Stray Cats that formed a great band and is fronting them and playing everywhere. They all dress like they're in the 50's and grease their hair back, play jumbo guitars with a doghouse bass. That would be an ideal situation I think.

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 11:18 pm    

Brian Setzer.....

------------------
ree-00-dee-doo

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 12:21 pm    

Yup, That's it. How'd you like to play in that band?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 12:47 pm    

Tonight ,which is a slow monday night in august, there are more than 30 small bands playing the jazz you guys are talking about in NYC. I know many of them and the guys love the pedalsteel.

Absolutly none of them read this forum. Although if you find yourself in downtown Manhattan a short walk in any direction will put you in direct contact some of the best musicians on the planet.

Here is one:

Trio of J. Walter Hawkes
J. Walter Hawkes - trombone, vocals, ukulele
Jim Whitney - bass
Walker T. Pettibone - drums

TONIGHT Monday night
12am - 3am

THE EAR INN
326 Spring
(just west of Greenwich)