The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal to non-pedal
Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 8:41 am    

I was just thinking how difficult it was for me and a lot of others to make the change to pedals from non-pedals years ago. I wonder if it would be just as hard for the ones who have only played pedals since they started to switch to no pedals. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 8:56 am    

Yup - it was hard. And I still wouldn't be real comfortable playing an entire gig w/out pedals.Once I started developing some slanting instincts and started thinking in smaller musical increments - things like using 2 notes to suggest a chord instead of the whole chord,etc,I was on my way.Kind of reminds me of being unemployed - trying to make less money buy the same amount of food......One thing I notice though,is that I'm constantly trying to emulate pedal changes that I'm used to having,while guys that never had pedals seem to just somehow play the instrument on its own terms. -MJ-

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 11:14 am    

Yup- it was hard. What helped was that, I wasn't a good pedal player to start with and I had to learn C6, so I didn't have to unlearn any habits. And it really does sound distinctively different from pedal playing which I attribute to not having to expend any 'brain power' moving your legs and feet around so all of it can be focussed on voicings and picking. Of course there are those among us for whom that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 11:24 am    

The analogy of driving a car with an "automatic transmission" vs a "standard transmission" comes to mind......My wife, bless her heart, learned to drive with an automatic and has never been able to successfully manage a stick shift.

Bud Hall

Evansville IN USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 9:20 pm    

Jerry, at one time, did you have small chains from your guitar to the floor pedals? I think I saw you in Independence IA. Bud Hall

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 2:25 am    

Bud, that's been so long ago that I just don't remember. Back then us poor boys were using just about anything we could use to pull those strings, non of which worked very well. I do remember my first pedals. They were put on a D-8 Fender by a fellow in Roswell, NM and I believe he used a thick cord of some kind down to the pedals that went all the way to the changer. He worked at Scottie's Club there in Roswell. I worked at the Yucca Club there and was just before I went with Hank Thompson. Even though Hank fired me because I wouldn't play like Bob White or Pee Wee Whitewing, we parted with no hard feelings. I could not of played like those boys even if I have of wanted to.

Jerry

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 7:00 am    

This thread gives me kind of a cool idea. Why doesn't one of the great teachers like Newman, Wright, or others come out with a "no pedals" C6th course. For those of us who fool around with C6th but are really a lot more comfortable on E9th (alright, I played guitar before I played steel!), it would be a great way to get our feet wet.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 7:24 am    

Jerry, (reference your post above) there is TOO MUCH modesty going on around here. Where is the Jerry of long ago that once advised me: "to blow my own horn when I have an opportunity, because no one else is going to"?

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 10:30 am    

Rick, that is a good idea but I think pedals are so entertwined with the C6th tuneing as well as all the others that I'm not for sure that to many people ( barring the oldtimers ) remember how to play it the old time way.
And Gene, I don't remember telling you that but then again I don't remember telling the preacher "I Do". I know I have said that before, so I probaly told you that. I hope you didn't take my advice.

Jerry

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 11:56 am    

I might agree with you Jerry, except that many years ago I took a few lessons from Buddy Charlton. He can play the heck out of C6th and never touch a pedal. Last year they had a non-pedal, multi-player set at the ISGC and Herby Wallace played his D-10 but they took the pedal rack off of it so he couldn't "cheat." Not that he'd have to of course.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 12:45 pm    

That's good practice for anybody!!!

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 2:16 pm    

Jerry I did take your advice.....but back in those days I already had enough "attitude" that no one noticed any difference!

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 2:28 pm    

Rick, I know Buddy can play the heck out of the C6th but that is one of the oldtimers I was talking about. Herby could pass for one and with the hat and beard I know b0b could. Just kidding guys.

Jerry

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 2:31 pm    

Rick
I'm working on such a course even as we speak, since I have a couple students that I teach non-pedal. I believe it will be tabbed out solos to Bob Wills-type tunes, all standards, along with CD rhythm tracks. Hope to have it done by next years TSGA Jamboree.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 5:32 pm    

That's great, Herb! And while were on the topic of your courses. I'm one of the folks who said that he'd buy backup tracks and tab for either or both of your recent CD's if you did them. Did you? If so, I will gladly honor my commitment.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 5:37 am    

I went & saw "Big Murph" last Sat.,at the Long Hollow Jamb. He had his non-pedal set up in front of his Bethel. (he was using a "walker" as a table for it. probably his. ) Anyway,he had NO trouble making the transition. He "burned" on both,pedal & non-pedal. Sure am gonna miss him around here,when he goes w/ AATW.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 7:08 am    

Rick
Since you asked...

Right now, I've got two courses commercially available. The first is tab and the studio rhythm tracks CD for my Texas Dance Time! CD which is all C6 western swing. The second is for E9 tuning entitled 12 Gospel Favorites, with tab book and rhythm tracks CD. More information is available here on my website

I'm quite disappointed that I won't be seeing you at ISGC, BTW. I attend that sucker for the fellowship of my brethren much more than the picking or the toys. But we'll always have e-mail, won't we?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 7:26 am    

Thanks Herb,

I'll probably order both your courses in the next few days.

Yeah, I'm real sorry I can't make it, I'm really going to miss seeing you and a whole lot of other friends I've made in the last couple years. But it appears that things have gotten back on course and I hope to make it next year.

I completely have to agree about the joy of being among the brethren (and sistren too! ) I've attended the ISGC many times, starting in '77 and as great as it is, it's been so much more fun since I've developed so many friendships right here on the Forum.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News