The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Insructional Courses for a beginner
Lincoln Goertzen

Taylor, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:02 am    

I am a pre-beginner at PSG, and need to get some instructional courses.
Jeff Newman's "Jammin' Tracks" look very good to me, but I'm wondering if a video might be better, because I could actually see HOW to play, not just WHAT to play.
Tommy White's "Hot Licks and Cool Tricks" look like fun, but are they too advanced for me?
Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations? Thanks, Lincoln

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 11:46 am    

Hi Linclon,

Jeff's "Just Jammin" is a good way to expand on what you know. The only problem with this course is the tab. In the tab, he did not mark the chords above at the change of bar position and therefore it may be harder for a novice to associate specific chords with a fret/pedal/knee action.

He has some very good courses though.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 12:36 pm    

I´ve read somewhere - I believe it was in a PSGA newsletter last year - that Tommy White´s "Hot Licks..." are too advanced even for many advanced players.

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 12:55 pm    

Hi Lincoln, I suggest you click on "Links" at the top of the screen, go to instructional material, than go to "Joe Wright".
His video instruction tapes ,in my opinion, are the best there is for the beginner.
I wish they were available when I started out.

GORDY NICHOL

chattanooga,tn usa
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 1:00 pm    

Herby Wallace is my instructor and he will be glad to get you started on a PSG course with no prior experience needed! His courses are designed to get you going in a short amount of time. Good Luck and welcome aboard! ( His # is 865-453-7476)

John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 5:15 pm    

Dittos on Joe Wright's materials for pre-beginners & up. Good luck & go to steel conventions!!

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 7:37 pm    

Doug Jernigan should be added to this fine list as his new methods are beyond reproch. We have never had a complaint on his beginner videos. Jeff, Herby, Joe, All these guys have devoted their lives to teaching newbies and pros alike. You have so much more of an advantage today than we did in the fiftys and sixtys.Get after it kid,you have no excuse not to be great in this day and time!
Bobbe

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 8:09 pm    

Boy, aint that the truth, Bobbe!!....al

Lincoln Goertzen

Taylor, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 4:16 pm    

Thank you for your advice, everyone! I just have one more question one this topic- are videos better than TAB and CD's, simply for the reason that I would be able to SEE the techniques? I have played standard guitar for several years, and I think I could write all the chord changes for Jeff Newman's Jammin' Tracks, if that was a worth while course otherwise. Lincoln

Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 5:53 am    

"Lincoln, I have both the "Up from the Top" series Jeff Newman does and also the "Just Jammin" - The Up from the Top has tapes, tabs, and video, and goes into great detail on how to use certain pedals, progressions, etc. - the Just Jammin is super for learning an instrumental (each instrumental track runs for about 8 minutes, so you play the song about 5 times), and fun to play with, but the Up from the Top is more useful in total (in my opinion)...Hope this helps.

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2001 9:28 pm    

I'd think that the Videos are probably really good because you get to SEE it.

As a Pre-Beginner, Keep it simple.
I haven't looked at any of the current instruction stiuff, so can't tell you much.

I do know that the thing that got me started was a great instruction record by Neil Flanz that was put out by Sho-Bud. He played a lick, then talked you through it.
I also got LOTS of good stuff from Jeff Newman's first stuff.
I got it, listened to the whole thing, then went to the parts I wanted to learn. Some I could figure out on my own.

Big thing: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN get the sound *in your head* before you try playing it.
Keep it slow and simple.

And then... there's my book... still printed by Oak Publications. It got a lot of folks started. There is a lot of info in there.

Winnie