The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  The Rest of The Msa Story
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 4:15 pm    

O.J. was found to be "not guilty" in criminal court. They couldn't prove that he did anything wrong. He's still in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His induction preceded the infamous murder trial, and he's never been removed.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 5:18 pm    

I read the MSA story that Reece published, but couldn't ascertain exactly why MSA went out of business. I certainly don't want to start a big debate or argument here! If it is "confidential stuff", someone can email me to edit this post, and I'll comply. I can be discrete, and I would like to know only for my own curiosity.

Was it a slump in the market, a much underpriced (and therefore "profitless") guitar, or a "difference of opinion" among the factory owners?

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 7:40 pm    

Good question Donny,Why did MSA go out of business? There was no "slump in the business in that year, Thats when I started Steel Guitar World in Nashville.Business boomed from the start,all over the US, and world. I even had three competitors in Nashville at that time,Sho-Bud,Duane Marrs Music,and The Steel Guitar Emporium.Maybe the future will tell.
Those that know arn't saying much on the forum, but then, maybe they shouldn't.Who would believe them anyway?
Robert---------

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 3:10 am    

Yes Bobby, I know all of that.....It was a rehetorical question! www.genejones.com

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 5:26 am    

OJ rushed for over 2000 yards in
10 degrees below zero in Buffalo, NY
on the WEAKEST TEAM in the NFL. CASE CLOSED!!!!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 8:27 am    

Hey Gene,
As far as OJ goes, he was aquitted in criminal court but found liable and responsible for the deaths of those two people in civil court. To me he's guilty as Hell but the same applies to him as far as I'm concerned. He made his mark on the playing field so he belongs in the football HOF. As I stated before, Reece made his mark as a player, manufacturer, teacher, etc. so he belongs in the steel guitar HOF. I hope it's soon! I'll be there for that induction.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 8:53 am    

As I said above...it was just a rhetorical question. I take no issue with anyone for having an opinion! Gene

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 12:10 pm    

I have already received several emails concerning the demise of MSA. I would like to thank those who took the time and trouble to do so. Though I own other guitars, my MSA has been with me longest, and I just wonder, sometimes, "what might have been"...while at the same time being quite thankful for "what was".

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 7:47 am    

This thread saddens me.

I've known Maurice Anderson for almost twenty years, and he is one of the most decent and unfailingly kind human beings I have ever knowm. And as a musician, he is one of the very few who have revolutionized the way the steel guitar is played - physically and conceptually.
When I first met him, in the very early eighties, we would get together and just play; he was the best music teacher I ever had -- and I owe a huge debt of gratitude in my style to the things I discovered in those sessions.
Everyone is different; people come in all sizes, shapes,and personalities. No one can like or be liked by everybody, but Maurice is a giant in the steel guitar world - a world peopled with too many blind worshippers, too many small minded bigots, and too few who truly care to use this beautiful instrument as an art - to discover and emotion, meaning, subtlety, and beauty in a way that is ultimately very personal.

I've never paid much attention to or given much creedence to any awards -- steel guitar included. In my mind, they're pretty political and meaningless. And Maurice Anderson's greatness will not be enhanced or diminished by any award. He is so far above that.

-- Susan Alcorn

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 8:07 am    

Quote:
And Maurice Anderson's greatness will not be enhanced or diminished by any award.

Yeah, Susan, that's pretty much what I said in another thread.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 11:08 am    

J. R. Hall wrote:
Quote:
Case closed
Is that a promise, Jim?

Seriously, Reece and Tom have refrained from posting their accusations here at my request. From my correspondence with both men, it's clear to me that neither has any "fear of retribution" should their positions be posted as "general knowledge".

The primary reason for lack of detail about the dispute is that the accusations from each side can be construed as slander from the other side. Slander is not allowed on the Forum.

Case closed.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator