The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm embarrassed
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2001 9:42 pm    

I'm not just talking about my playing. (Oh, let's not go there....)

I'm just two years "young" on steel. Before I bought a PSG and got to know a few players I had almost no familiarity with who's who or what's what in the circle of steel. And I've learned a lot. But I feel a little bit like some suburbanite who stepped into a rodeo. There have been too many times to mention that I've been talking with one or another seasoned steeler of 20-30 plus years who will drop the name of some very accomplished player or even a living steel legend and I'll say, "Oh, who's that, what did they play on?" Then the other person gets this look of restrained astonishment on their face. I deftly tuck my tail between my legs and just listen as I'm graciously told of the player's accomplishments (which I'm sure I really should have known). I call myself a steeler and I didn't know about him?)

I cut my teeth on keyboards and I can drop a lot of names.... Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord, Gregg Rolie, Gregg Allman, Joey DeFrancesco, and so on.... And since I stepped into the ring of steel I've received nothing but encouragement and inclusion from other steel players I've met both in person and online. But I still kinda feel like a hockey fan at a football game. ("What are those H-shaped poles at the ends of the field for?")

Some day I hope to get this all figgured out.

------------------
Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 3:52 am    

Bill, That's OK ,I don't know all of them(or of them) either, just a lot of the top guys or ones who have influenced me(or i tried to copy) you probebly don't know me either cause I'm a Legend in my own mind.
Bob The grouchyvet

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 3:57 am    

Hey, I feel the same way coming from jazz guitar and raised in the northeast. My feeling is that it's a great thing to be exposed to something musical that's new to me at my age. I'm learning every day and what could be better than that?

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 4:00 am    

Bill.
I will tell you a story. In 1958 I was with the Ozark Jubilee Band. That year we were envited to play the Disc Jockeys convention at the Andrew Jackson Hotel in Nashville. It seemed to me that every steel player in the country was there and all I heard was "Big E" this and "Big E" that. I had no idea who 'Big E' was and really didn't care. At that time I had pretty much of an ego and thought I was a lot better picker than I really was, so what did I care who this "Big E" was. Besides, there was no way this guy could be better than Koefer or Chalker, both of who I knew on a personal basis.
Well, we left Nashville the next morning. I had met a lot of musicians but this so called master of the steel guitar had eluded me. I look back today and I can't believe I did not know who Buddy Emmons was and as the years rolled on and I had the chance to hear him play more and more, I thought what a shame it was to be that good and still be number 2. I think I knew how good he was but you have to understand, Chalker and Kofer was my idols and I wasn't giving them up.
Now 42 years later and I have grown up and had the chance to hear a ton of steel players, it is my belief that not only then but also today, Buddy is the greatist technical steel player there is and may ever be. I have never met Buddy and for that I'm sorry. Maybe someday it will happen.
One thing you must remember. Buddy or any of the others are not gods. They are just normal men with an exceptional talent. We can enjoy them and learn from them but we should never worship them.

Jerry

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 5:28 am    

Don't feel bad, Bill! A lot of times when the "old-timers" get on you about not knowing something...or somebody, it's with a "wink and a smile" . Nobody...not even our expert confederates like Jason Odd, or Dr. Wayne Yakes, can know everything. We're still piecing together our history, and it's a complex one...even for such a "new" instrument. I mentiomed Slim Idaho in a thread a few weeks ago, and was gratified when a few people responded. Probably not one player in a thousand has heard, or heard of him. Still, when you throw all the combined resources of the FORUM together, we can answer just about any question. And I'm still amazed at how many "old-timers" are still around, and still pretty sharp, too.

Heck...I've mentioned Frank Ferrara here before, and I bet of the top 10 steelers playing right now, not a one has even heard of him...but he could easily be THE most important steel player of all time!

(See what I mean!)

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 8:18 am    

When I first got into the steel I was fortunate enough to quickly learn who Buddy is, so I never asked, "Buddy who?". Though if I had I probably would have done so on the Forum in front of 3000+ people! But I do have to admit I've only recently been able to really listen to some of his work. Holy smoke!

I must say the the players who I have startled with my ignorance have never been aloof about it at all, they've always been very kind to this new kid on the block in teaching me whatever they could about the instrument and its history.

By the way, there is a saying....
Quote:
"Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it."
Does that mean that if I make sure I don't know anything about John Hughey (for example) I'll play just like him?

------------------
Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 8:38 am    

Yeah, Bill, I think you got it.

John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 7:40 am    

Bill, I've experienced similar moments being a relatively newer steel guitar hobbyist. But there is hope, one of the things I did was to get & read thoroughly all the prevoiusly published steel magazines that I could order, borrow or get my hands on. Russ Rask's & Tom Bradshaw's magazines to mention a couple. I still haven't got around to many of the "Pedal Steel Guitar Assoc.(?)'s" ones, but I hope to get there some day. Go to conventions, ask questions & just tell 'um your new to it. My problem is the old memory bank just ain't what it used to be, plus a couple other things...
(OK, Donny, I'll bite -- tell us about this Frank F.)

[This message was edited by John Hanusch on 16 July 2001 at 08:44 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 12:21 pm    

John, you asked..."Who is Frank Ferrara?" Who is Frank Ferrara?!?!

Well, that's like asking an airline pilot..."Who were the Wright Bros.?"

Just kidding! (LOL!) Actually, Frank Ferrara migrated to the U.S. from the Hawaiian islands, about 1898 or 1899. And, he claimed to be the man who introduced the Hawaiian (steel) guitar into the U.S.. Hawaii became a Territory in 1900, and through the '20s people were fascinated with anything Hawaiian. From what I have been able to gather, he was also a close friend of Vernon Dahlhart...who had the first "hit" country recording, around 1924 (believe it or not, I HAVE that record around here someplace!). Vernon was one of the top Country artists from 1925 to 1931. But, I digress...back to Frank.

Information on him is very scarce, but so far, I can find no one who refutes his claim. Now, undoubtedly, people played the Spanish (straight) guitar with knives, bottles, etc., before that...probably back into Civil War times. But, this was slide guitar. The idea of laying the thing down on your lap, raising the strings at the nut, and then playing everything with a "bar" is still attributed to the Hawaiians.

Around the turn of the century, Frank started traveling across the country and playing this style. Needless to say, it caught on "big time". So, long before Bob Dunn, and before Frank Hutchinson, and even before Nick Manoloff...there was Frank Ferrara, "spreading the message" of the steel guitar!

Now someone will probably ask..."Who were Dunn, Hutchinson, and Manoloff?"

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 16 July 2001 at 02:42 PM.]

Steve Frost

Scarborough,Maine
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 12:54 pm    

Donny-Frank Ferrara- who is he, and why is he so important? I'm on the edge of my seat!!