The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Let Me Explain!!!!!
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 5:25 pm    

Guys
Thank's for all the kind words. I'm sorry that it came across that I was feeling sorry for myself although I do sometimes get overwhelmed that I'm almost fifty years old and still making music. I was just trying to shed some light the way I see it.The music business is not fair. It's incredibly hard. There are hundreds of folks in Nashville who have lost their label gigs and now can't find a job in the business. Labels and publishing companies are closing all the time. Studios are for sale. All of this has little to do with the steel guitar except there is less work for everyone. Does the music suck. The songs might and alot of the artists have a pretty shallow makeup but it's not my job to judge.I'm just glad to work and I will try to find something good in every session .I love my job. I hope I can keep it a few more years.
Peace

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 7:19 pm    

Hello Bruce;
I am just kicked back here reading all of the previous posts concerning the current situation in Nashville as described by those of you who live & work in the music profession there.I just wanted to say to you that your posts have been VERY informative to those of us who can only dream of doing what you make your living doing.Speaking for only myself i have sure learned a lot about some of the inner workings of the city.I would say just keep doing what you love & enjoy while you still can-make the best of what you have as it sure looks to me you have done that.I would say just "Keep on pickin' & don't worry about the small stuff"
It will all shake out in the end anyway.
Just my .02 worth...Later..Ron

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 7:47 pm    

I read the business page in the paper every morning at breakfast, I was shocked yesterday to see the largest studios in town file for bankruptsy, Emerald, And Master Phonics! These were the main stay and "Rock of Gibralter" in the town. Hey folks, this is getting very serious,if it is bad here , it can't be good in the outlands. "Music Row" is starting to look like a ghost town.Things arn't good and it's starting to look like it might be perminent.There is talk of the Opry making some really bad changes that I won't mention here.
Sure, we can all work for a while longer,but whats in the distant future? Me flying for United? Paul building rocking chairs with his family? Maurice and Jeff teaching first grade? Chas selling movie tickets? Mike Cass a BMW mechanic?(push-Pull, get it?) Buddy Emmons driving bus for the Everlys and trying to play "half" of his albums? Hal Rugg opening a carpet store? Smilly going into the TV wardrobe business?John Hughy still wondering where the last steel show was,and how he missed it.I'll be to old to fly United,I won't even be able to fly by myself.Or maybe it won't be that long!
Things ARE changing,we gotta' roll with it, and don't ask me what to do next, I'm a follower, "Take me home, country road"
Bruce, you'll be producing rap records, maybe "gospel rap", you will survive!
RKS--------( the prophet )

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 7:53 pm    

Looks like Dan Tyack, Les Cambell, Mike Wierach and this kind of good player may have the "inside" track. Mike Wierach, WOW! he'll never run out of work! (all in fun guys).
Bobbe

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 8:28 pm    

Hi Bruce. With your talent, if there is work to be had, you will get your part. Great tone,great creativity, And one of the best pickers out there. Hang in there and I'll see you down the road. Jody.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 11:29 pm    

quote:
although I do
sometimes get overwhelmed that I'm almost fifty years old and still making music

I was whining to my therapist about a couple of dumb gigs I did and his reply was "Do you have any idea how many men your age dream of doing what you are doing?" Besides it beats the hell out of sitting around watching TV and waiting to die.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 10 July 2001 at 12:30 AM.]

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:04 am    

Bruce, aint no way you'll ever run out of something to pick man. Sure did enjoy your music on Highways and Hearaches. WOW too on Hwy 42! Great job and great to hear you enjoy what makes your living. Thats half the battle right there.

Rick

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:24 am    

Regardless of the profession, when the dust settles the elite always rise to the top and survive.

I'd put Bruce into that category.

Reaching a certain age and still picking is really a major accomplishment, not a negative. Most have fallen by the wayside long before getting to Bruce (or Paul's) age.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:46 am    

------------------

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:00 PM.]

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 7:39 am    

Thanks Bruce for pouring your heart out. Hopefully, folks will realize that what you and others do is very emotionally draining (which leads to physical exhaustion sometimes). It does take a unique breed to keep producing fresh and cool stuff day-in and day-out.
Nashville going thru one of the worst slumps I've ever seen. I lived thru several and it came back. This is a biggie though. I've had several folks tell me that I left town at the right time and that I saw it coming. Nope. I left town because of a horrible divorce (that's not new is it?) and had restraining orders against me everytime I showed up to a studio. Very frustrating and I left just to let things die down a bit and then was going right back. In the meanwhile, I found a life and a long lost smile on my face.
Times are a changing and we all find a way to reinvent what and who we are. I think your heart is breaking for the industry and I certainly don't see it as whining or feeling sorry for yourself. I'm still in the publishing biz and I realize everyday how depressed things are. I'll hope with you that things improve sooner than later. Hang in.

Mike

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 7:53 am    

Bruce, you are and have been for many years one of my heros in the business. I have for the last 15 years worked in a local studio who produces sound tracs and have had to try to copy stuff you, Paul and others have come up with and some of it is amazing stuff when a guy has to try to copy it! I used to work with Terry Alldaffer who was the studio engineer here before he moved to Nashville. He has told me a lot about working with you. You are a class act for sure, a great player who seems to me to not realize just how great a player you are. Please tell Terry howdy for me next time you see him. I would love to hear from him.
Jerry

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 8:07 am    

Quote:
his reply was "Do you have any idea how many men your age dream of doing what you are doing?"

A lot may "dream" about it, but most probably have no idea about what it's really like. Heck, even I don't know that. But I know enough to know you've got to LOVE music and be able to put up with lots of stuff that nobody ever dreams about -- that's for sure.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 11:07 am    

Bruce,
My opinion is, that there are only a few players on a creative top, like you and Paul.
There always will be need for 'signature-inventors' like both of you.
You will always survive by your imagination about what songs need, and you will be asked again and again.
Overhere it works this way, so it will also in your village Don't worry , pal!
I'm leaving in one hour with Helen and the girls for holiday in England, and I will check this thread again in 2 weeks!
regards, Johan

------------------

STEELDAYS 2002 March 29 & 30
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:51 pm    

Hey Bobbe,
Do you think the fact that "country" music sales are down has anything to do with the type of "country" that's out there?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 3:58 pm    

eeehhh!...Let's all get together for an astronomy class and potluck at E's house?

Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 3:59 pm    

What is the old saying , (We looked for the enemy and it was us).We want these Electronic toys (computers) and now their taking our jobs.
ZUM STEEL FOREVER

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 4:58 pm    

Bruce, I enjoyed your posts and thought you really shot from the heart on what you felt about things out there. You're a great picker and what the hey, any days without one of these day jobs like I got is a blessing of sorts. You play hell out of the steel and no matter , no one can take that away from you.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 8:38 pm    

Frank Parish! You know thats why! The music is not as country so the sales are down, doesn't take to long to see where the problem may lie! Your a good man, Frankie poo!
Your buddy,---------Bobbe poo!

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 11:34 pm    

Speaking of poo, have you heard what passes for country these days?