The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jay Dee on new rock/aternative CD
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 3:18 pm    

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know I picked up the new eponymous CD by Sugar Ray. Jay Dee plays on one track. Seems Jay Dee is the man of choice for rock/alternative groups looking to add some steel to their sound....he has also played on Beck's recent albums.

Good to see our instrument being included on popular rock/alternative music. By popular groups/singers to boot!

Joe
**Dekley S-12 5/4**

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 8:33 pm    

I have several albums with J.D playing with such artists such as Tony Booth, Byron Berline, Buck Owens Rose Maddox and many others, but IMHO he is at his ultimate best when he was with the Desert Rose Band. J.D is one player that posesses his own special touch with a steel. I dont mean to try to place him above or below any other players by any means but J.D's playing has its own signature. He can do it all and is a creative power in the studio. I lost an album he cut a long time ago with Billy Armstrong the fiddle player that was simply beautiful. I got to find that album somehow someday. I can see him playing anything asked of him whether it rock or whatever.
Bill Bailey

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 2:09 pm    

Way to go Jay Dee! In my book you are so long overdue for the SGHOF. Thanks for doing what you do so well
Theresa

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 2:36 pm    

...lets not forget the Clapton tune, now an evergreen:"Tears in Heaven ".
& yes Theresa(with an h?),for once I agree with you , JD is loooooong overdue for the SGHOF.....

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 01 July 2001 at 03:39 PM.]

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 5:59 am    

For Bill Bailey, I have two albums by Billy Armstrong with Jay Dee Maness playing steel and Dobro (on one of them). They are titled "Billy. Don't Sell your Fiddle (Or Who Let The S.O.B. Sing?) and the second one is simply titled "Billy Armstrong, World's Greatest Fidle Player". Both of them are autographed, but I would be happy to make you a casette copy of them If you would like.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 6:04 am    

Roy, who else plays on those albums, I've heard of them (seen them listed in some books and websites), they sound interesting... do you have any idea who played on them?, asides from Billy and Jay Dee that it.

Back to the original topic, Jay Dee is fantastic, from his early stuff with Gram Parsons, etc, Barbara Steisand to Sugar Ray, you know he can do it.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 6:30 am    

Had the pleasure of spending an afternoon at my house with JayDee and Mike Cass a couple of weeks ago and I'm happy to say JayDee's taking quite an interest in the C6 tuning. He certainly has the chops, so all he'll need is a little time to get used to the intervals. We put the rhythm tracks on and showed off for each other, so I learned something that day, and that's not to try to cop JayDees licks. Thanks for a great time, guys.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 3:09 pm    

Rumor has it that while he was down in Nashville, Jay Dee took delivery of a D-10 black JCH-leaving the push/pull after all those years???

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 8:40 pm    

Roy,
If you send me your address I will send you cassettes for the albums or would be glad to pay for tapes and postage. I really would love to get copies if you can spare the time. Many years ago I was playing in Fresno and Billy Armstrong was to appear at a club a friend of mine was playing for called the Gold Coast Saloon. He asked me to loan him my album so he could bone up on the head licks JD had recorded, you know as Paul Harvey would say, "The Rest Of The Story"
Thanks in advance.
Bill Bailey

------------------

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 10:35 pm    

E, speaking for myself, that was one of the most fun afternoons Ive spent in quite a while, thank you ....& loved the BIAB.Any "Corona's" left???
how about that little "chromaticness" JD displayed, huh ? You may have created a monster by showing him the C6 stuff....hope so anyway .....
sincerely, Raggs

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 6:38 am    

For Jason Odd...
The musicians on the "Billy. Don't Sell Your Fiddle are: Jay Lacy and Russ Hansen-Electric Guitar; Norm Cass and Al Vescovo- Accoustic Guitar; John Rains and Archie Francis-Drums; JAY DEE MANESS-Steel and Dobro; Don Whaley and Curtis Stone-Bass; John Hobbs-Piano; Billy Armstrong-Fiddles and Vocal; Ray Sanders and Don Whaley-Background Voices. The second record has the Hillside Recording Band consisting of; Billy Armstrong-Fiddle and Mandolin; JAY DEE MANESS, Pedal Steel; John Hobbs-Piano; Archie dFrancis-Drums; Don Whaley-Bass; Jay Lacy- Rhythm and Lead Guitar.

And speaking of Jay Dee I have been very fortunate to have know him since he first started playing the steel "without finger picks" and that was in the very late 50's. My alltime faviorite steel player.

And for Bill Bailey,
I will be happy to make the copies for you when I get back from Laclede, ID. Here in the Northwest we don't have much opportunity for steel shows and jams, but Bill Atwood is hosting a siminar for beginning and intermediate steelers on July 7, and Duane Becker from Elk, WA and Tom D'Arazio from Sandpoint, ID have agreed to play and lead the seminar along with Duane's band "Big Sky". Duane was the originator and driving force of the outstanding Jam held up in Spokane the end of April.

Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 7:45 am    

Mike, now you know I don't smoke Coronas. See you and Dave Thursday. I'm getting anxious to lock horns.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:27 am    

Hey now Buddy Gene.... go easy on me, Ive been sick
LMAO @ "Coronas"....yer a piece a work sincerely, Raggs

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 04 July 2001 at 12:52 PM.]

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 12:17 am    

Buddy and Mike,
I can't wait either! But, I'm just gonna watch you two! I'm no Casius Clay, "I" know how to except defeat before I get in the ring!

Dave

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 6:43 am    

Msrs. Emmons & Cass,

Where can I get tickets to these cutting sessions? I'll bring the beverages, and promise to keep my mouth shut and not tap my foot on 1 and 3:>)

Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 6:58 am    

Don't sweat it Drew. Between your beverages and mine, you wouldn't be able to find 1 and 3.