The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E Maj vs. C#m7
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 6:51 am    

All this tunin' talk lately ... I thought I'd do somethin' constructive.

Here's (lo to hi):

E Maj ... E B E G# B E

vs.

C#m7 (E6) ... E B E G# C# E

The upper blocks are the "lay-out" of notes using the Number System ...

The bottom blocks show tab in the Key of G.

My thoughts:

The C#m7 puts a very important "forward" slant harmony run ... on the top two strings.

The C#m7 puts some nice reverse slants ... between strings 2 & 4.

In my opinion ... these two advantages do not "outweigh" the 3 note harmonies available with "split slants" ... on the top 3 strings of E Maj.

And that reverse slant V7 resolving into I.

What are your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages associated with these two tunin's ...

PS: This is the first 1:1 comparison of 6 string tunin's... ultimately leading to C6/A7.

Disclaimer: I don't play either one of these two ... but I am a fan of E9 (lo to hi) ... D E F# G# B E ... which has that same 351 top as E Maj ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 23 March 2005 at 07:02 AM.]

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:13 am    

Cool, man. These are my favorite 2 tunings. I don't think I could just get away with using one. The good part is, you're just a few cranks of a tuning peg apart. Considering the fact that I play a lot of rhythm guitar type figures on the steel, I need this configuration on strings 4-5-6; however, I'd like to add another tuning to the picture, one which I use a lot--E7: E B G# E D E. Chock full o'goodies, too.

Good going, Rick. Once everyone catches on to these tunings, I'm out of work....

------------------
www.mikeneer.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:33 am    

I like the C#m7 tuning but it really works out better on an 8 string neck. I like to put a B (3rd string) between the C# and the G#. That really opens up the tuning for you.
Erv

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:36 am    

Mike,

You're not going to be out of work. What'll happen is everyone is going to try to steal your licks and you'll have to work harder to stay ahead. It's good for you.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:40 am    

Oh, I forgot to answer your question:

What are your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages associated with these two tunin's

I think that right off the bat, it's easier for someone with guitar playing experience to visualize the fretboard in E and C#m.

Second, I like to play in a more vertical fashion, rather than across the strings, not just because I think it sounds cooler (especially on an acoustic), but also because you're less likely to be locked into patterns and shapes. Also, the plain strings really have the volume and cutting power (for me).

Third, I like having perfect 4th and 5th intervals available.

Fourth, I have found no shortage of chords within these tunings, especially chords of the dominant family.

I took guitar lessons with a famous jazz guitarist who taught me to view the guitar in a more vertical fashion. I would improvise often on 1 string as an exercise. I think it improves lyricism and melodic development.

I really think the beauty of steel guitar is in bar movement. I was always puzzled when I watched pedal steel players stay in a stationery position. It reminded me of watching my grandmother working on a sewing machine.

[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 23 March 2005 at 07:44 AM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:42 am    

quote:
These are my favorite 2 tunings.

I know ... thats why I picked these two to start.

I saw you tell Gerald that the book was on "hold" ... so I thought I could "pick" your brain (pun intended).

Bruce Clarke's excellent essay ... Name That Tuning ...

And the fact that just about every steeler that I listen to these days seems to play C#m7 (according to Mr. Clarke's ear) ... made me wanna start here.

Thanks for the input on the bottom end ... thats what 'I'm after" ... why folks prefer certain tunings for what they do.

Quote:
Once everyone catches on to these tunings, I'm out of work

That I doubt ...

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 8:01 am    

I've heard Andy Iona use other variations of the E tuning that Bruce doesn't mention in his article, but it is a good article, indeed.

One of the variations is this--E B G# B G# E, which he used on Maui Moon, et al.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 8:15 am    

Quote:
I like to play in a more vertical fashion, rather than across the strings

Me too ...

I'll go as far as sayin' that, personally, I view strings 3-6 as harmony strings only ... keeping the melody on just the top 2 stings ...

Maybe the third sting once in a "Blue Moon" and the very "rare" bass note solo.

Not being much of a rhythm player (understatement of the year) ... I am quite interested in y'alls views of the bottom strings ... thanks.

I'll write up 1:1 comparisons for some more variations of E Maj ... once these two are "exhausted" ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 9:22 am    

Rick, that's some very useful info-- I'm going to be trying out a 7-string F#9 tuning, which has the same top 4 strings as that E6.
Mike-- I like that vertical approach too, more unity of string tone and a real feeling of freedom in melody lines. For whatever reason, this approach comes naturally to me and was the only thing that saved me in the early days of band practice a few months back, when I volunteered my "services" on steel without even having settled on a tuning.
Am using at least the top 5 strings of an 8-string tuning for melody, and am practising scales in either direction starting from any string/any fret, so that I can hop off my single-string rides anywhere and know where I am... also to develop different ways of playing the same phrase.
Still don't slant a whole lot, and this kind of thread makes it easier to try stuff out...

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 9:31 am    

Steve ... you're a mind reader ...

I'm just sittin' here typing up C#m7 vs F#9 ...

Figured I'd do up the ones folks talk about the most here on the forum.

I'm only doin' 6 string comparisons ... extending them beyond that can be "homework"