The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson BR9 Electrical Upgrade Questions
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 9:30 pm    

The cover-plate is off & I'm looking at the P90 soap-bar pickup. It seems to be sitting on a metal plate, which is sitting in a tight cavity. Using a small dental mirror, I look underneath the pickup & see that there is a section of wood that this metal bracket is sitting on. This section of wood does not extend to the end of the pickup. There is a screw head underneath the pickup, to the outside of this bottom wood support. This screw on the bottom of the pickup seems to line up with the 1st string polepiece.

Is the P90 pickup attached to the wood block by the 2 screws visible on the top of the pickup between polepieces 2 & 3, and 4 & 5? The polepiece screws are slot-head, while the 2 screws between polepieces 2 & 3 and 4 & 5 are phillips-head. Can I remove the 2 screws without having bits & pieces falling out?

The wiring to the volume & tone pots consists of conductors encased in heavy braided shield, with no sheath over the shield. Is this wiring salvageable after unsoldering from the pots?

Is there a recommended series of steps for replacement of potentiometers and capacitor?

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

[This message was edited by Bryan Bradfield on 19 March 2005 at 11:00 AM.]

Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2005 11:02 am    

bump

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2005 8:24 pm    

It's been a long time since I've seen one of these guitars - I got rid of mine back in the 90's. Do you have any pictures of what you're attempting to do that would help those of us who can't visualize what you're doing?

I guess the bigger questions are: 1) what are you trying to do? 2) what do you hope to accomplish by doing this?

If the guitar is working properly now, then I'd suggest leaving it alone, but I'm sort of a klutz when it comes to this sort of thing.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 9:55 am    

Brad -

My tone circuit provides virtually no tone change. If I'm going to be in there anyway, I feel that I might as well replace both pots and the cap.

This is something I've been generally considering for some time. I've also been accumulating information about sound from the forum participants. For instance, Geoff Brown discussed polepiece adjustment screw effectiveness in this thread: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/006666.html

Denny Turner furnished a lengthy description of replacing the BR9 "bunker" handrest, and of modifying pickup height for tone changes (which he then deleted, but not before I copied it) here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/006527.html
Also in the above thread is a picture of a BR9, and many statements from players who have a low opinion of the BR9, so I conclude - why not experiment with this?

Many players furnished pot & cap values that have been found useful for doo-wah effects here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/005931.html

I'm experienced at desoldering & soldering, but I slow down when I get into tight quarters, where there are components I'm not familiar with. This is the first time I've considered unfastening & lifting a pickup to look under it, so I've taken a break to seek advice. The braided/shielded leads to and between the pots are quite short & tidy, so I feel like I need some more working room while replacing the pots.

[This message was edited by Bryan Bradfield on 20 March 2005 at 09:57 AM.]

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 4:45 pm    

Bryan,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to answer your email and post info here sooner; Family priorities got me pretty well tied up for awhile.

Here are some free online information pages of the type questions you've asked and I predict will be needed, ...non-specific to the BR9 (some BR9 info is on the SGF) but most helpful in the abstract guitar electronics subject matters:

STEWART MCDONALDS PAGES:

Free online comprehensive info on guitar electronics.

Electronics supplies.

Free online comprehensive info on other subjects.

There are a huge number of variables and options in searching for the tone(s) desired. So I might also suggest that when experimenting with guitar electronic componants to find those that suit your desires (and a great education opportunity in the process!); You might first draw out the scematic of the existing electronics; Then unsolder all componants and hook them up with long wires with alligator clips so that you can change componants quickly / easily and test different pickups, pots and caps without having to unneccessarily destring or open up the guitar. It's much easier to have the pots and caps outside the guitar for testing & experimenting and have the pickups easily wired up with alligator clips for easy testing hook up / removal. (Save all original wires and parts if they're vintage and you desire to maintain that additional value to the instrument).

I hope this helps.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 23 March 2005 at 11:10 PM.]

Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 7:51 pm    

Thanks Denny.

I like your idea of experimenting with alligator clips. Actually, I have a bread-board that I can stick caps and pots into; however, I hadn't considered experimenting until you mentioned it. Also, you reminded me what a wonderful resource the stewmac site is.

You've been a great help.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2005 4:17 pm    

It's a pleasure to join in such interesting discussions, Bryan.

I posted some additional ideas for working / experimenting with guitar circuits ...in the Electronics forum.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 22 March 2005 at 04:21 PM.]

Bryan Bradfield

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2005 6:42 pm    

Denny -

I'm looking forward to the more generalized discussion in your new thread. Let's continue over there.