The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Stringmaster pick up problem
Frank Miller

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 6:47 pm    

I have a Fender Stringmaster which has a problem. I have tried just about everything that I can think of to fix it but with no success. On the closest neck of the three, the top string (.016) sems to have lost it's sustain. Especially above the 14th or 15th fret, if I hit a harmonic and try to slide up 4 or 5 frets, it just dies. The other two necks are fine. I've owned this guitar for 35 years. (1970). and only during last two orI
three years have I noticed this problem.

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 8:58 pm    

This doesn't seem like a pickup problem, but something mechanical. First thing, check the bridge saddle where the the string crosses it. Sometimes over time, a groove will be worn in the metal. This can cause a loss of sustain. Also, simply change the string. Every once in a while you will get a bad one.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 12:28 pm    

Aloha Frank

I agree with Dan that this doesn't sound like a pickup problem. If the pickup is putting out the same volume in the open position as the other two necks, then another source seems more likely. I am wondering if the pitch of the first string on the other necks is similar or the same. If you use a higher pitch on the closest neck, I'd suggest a lighter guage for the troublesome string. If you do encounter any wear on the bridge, just turn it over and you'll be all set for another thirty five years.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 12:47 pm    

Here's a possible happening; that I've seen with many of my previous students(until I corrected them of course..ha.).
The first string on the neck; has no support strings above it; so bar pressure can be the culprit. Here's what happens with the harmonic. The Harmonic overtones are very wide at a particular fret when the bar is on it> meaning you can actually chime at the octive fret from the bar, almost a half fret either side of the line, and the note will be the same. But; if it is not the exact octive; meaning exact distance from bar to chime; than the vibrations of that chime are almost cut in half. This can be done by chiming wrong; or if the bar is pushing down on the string; is the same result. So this is another reason that the downward bar pressure should be just enough to keep the string from clanking against the bar and if you are laying your forefinger flat on the bar; this is most likely the cause. It's important that the player uses the tip of the forefinger on top of the bar to reduce downward pressure; and the thumb in front of the bar and middle finger behind the bar are your guides and bar movement motivators.
Also using more of the tip of the bar for the first string; is important. So if there is undo bar pressure; than your only getting half the vibration of the chime; and when you go to move the bar as it sustains; than the vibration with die out sooner.
Hope that helps some.

------------------
Ricky Davis

Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com