The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Latest Benoit Work of Art
Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 7:12 pm    

Wow, Howard. Once again I am absolutely amazed with Mr. Benoit's master craftsmanship. His pieces are fine artworks in every sense of the word. You must have an incredible collection. Would you consider posting some pics of your entire steel guitar collection? I know I'm not alone when I say I would love to see it. Keep up the good work.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 7:53 pm    

I don't think they have lenses capable of such magnetude ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 8:16 pm    

Well, for the most part, I have the same guitars that many have. I don't think another Stringmaster, Tricone, or EH 150 is gonna excite too many people.

I do have some rare steels that I've posted before, like the Fender PS 210 and the D8 Pedal Rickenbacker.

Those who haven't seen "The Phoenix" or "The Selmernator" or "The Weissonator" can do a search on No Peddlers and see those.

I'm much more interested new ideas and unique designs as I have the specific vintage steels that I set out for. I guess I like being part of the creative process. I'm the same way in my business. I like the innovation and creative part of it. The production part (although very important) bores me.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 10 March 2005 at 08:18 PM.]

HowardR

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 9:18 pm    

With regard to Roy's post.....

The tailpiece is a 12 string trapeze and I can move the 7th string over a slot so that it has less of an angle. The 1st string is fairly straight. I don't know what difference that makes.

The kind of music I had in mind when I thought to have this built....let's say, general, or a variety of music. I'm most familiar with G tuning and I always seem to come back to it. I believe Cindy Cashdollar said it best, awhile back in No Peddlers... "The G tuning is the workhorse of tunings."

Adding the E & F certainly offers more versatility although makes you compromise (what not to hit) also. That's true when your major tuning becomes more than major.

Gypsy Jazz in the back of my mind? Nah....It's always in the front of my mind. This music is predominently 6ths, 7ths, and minor chords and to a lessor degree 9ths, 6/9, & dim. Those seem to be the basics, anyhow. I have full voicings of 6ths & 7ths, and a nice minor triad on strings 2,3, &4, plus I can hit the low B with my thumb.

As I'm more comfortable with this tuning, I think that it will give me a better basic understanding of chords, progressions, and music in general (mostly because I'll play it more) and hopefully apply this to another tuning, if need be.

The tone of this guitar and tuning is big. It has that "gutteral" tone as I call it. I wanted a 7 stringer without losing that 6 string tone. With regard to the Gypsy guitar sound, this is not really the sound or tone for that. IMO, the tone for Gypsy Jazz is thinner with less sustain and resonance. It requires an aggressive attack and damping. I use my thumb and index finger or my index and middle finger mostly. I try to avoid three finger rolls unless I can keep it from sounding too bluegrassy, or if I just can't do it with only two fingers.

I don't mean to give the impression that I can wiz through this stuff. I'm just scratching the surface.

more to follow....it's late.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 11 March 2005 at 07:54 AM.]

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 11:11 pm    

!

-Travis

P.S. Did you ever see that book called "Blue Guitars" (or something)?

Harry Dietrich

Robesonia, Pennsylvania, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 1:09 am    

Damn ..........that's purdy!!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 3:24 am    

Does a Hawiian shirt come with that? It takes me to the Islands....

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 5:35 am    

Quote:
It takes me to the Islands....

In Howard's case, that would be Manhattan, Staten, Long, Roosevelt, Governors, Ellis ...

It must be fascinating to listen in on conversations between you and CarrollB -- are there any ideas you two don't pursue? You've stretched the imagination once again, and come up with another beauty!

I would say "I can't wait to see what's next," but I guess we will have to.

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 11 March 2005 at 05:37 AM.]

HowardR

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 7:42 am    

Russ, after the next one, I have two more projects in mind. Carroll is well aware of one of them. I don't have the heart to spring the other one yet.......

Actually, Carroll enjoys the challenge. He is very much into solving problems and coming up with solutions. There is never any time frame in our working together and so there is no stress of a "deadline." I also tell Carroll to put other customer's work ahead of mine as I feel that is more important. I never want to take away from anyone else who is anxiously awaiting their guitar.

This understanding works out well for the both of us. It also worked out very well when Mike Dotson was building the Weissonator. The "space" factor is very important with unique guitars.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 11 March 2005 at 07:46 AM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 9:17 am    

Howard, so few people have the courage to put their money where their mouth is [insert Howard's joke here] in having the vision and energy to try to break new ground. It's a great symbiotic relationship because Carroll is doing this out of love of the craft having raised his family. Great stuff! I'd have that vision and energy too but I used it all up trying to get a ten year old to do his homework.

Larry Tresnicky

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:38 pm    

Howard, It was nice visiting with you at the TSGA show & want to assure everyone out there that haven't met you, that you're not as bizzare as you & others portray you to be. That would be an understatement.
Nice work by you & Carroll. I still don't see how he puts up with you.
Much admiration for your ingenuity & Carroll's talent.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 11:44 pm    

Russ, that would be Rikers Island
you've done real good Premod
Enjoy that baby

HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 3:34 pm    

Travis, yes....the blue guitars commissoned by the late Scott Chinnery. He had 22 top builders each build a blue guitar having some basic specifications, but beyond those specs, they were free to do as they pleased. I think they were all archtop.

That did cross my mind several years ago thinking of maybe 6 or 7 builders because.....a Scott I am not.

Anyhow, I got to working with Carroll and realized that I would rather push the envelope on designs and creations that have never been done, or if they have, taking it much further.

Before I met Carroll, or knew of Carroll, I contacted a well know builder as I had this idea for a resonator with a teardrop lower bout based on the DiAngelico Teardrop. He was not interested. It was too involved and would require a lot of thought and work. He was interested in building and selling what he made. I respect that.

When I met Carroll, I knew that I had found another person who was as driven as I was (am). I hope that one day, Carroll receives the recognition that he deserves for being such a creative force. Perhaps one day people will a gaze in awe at "that which could not be done."

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 5:18 pm    

Beautiful guitar, Howard! Beautiful color, and I like the string spacing!