The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stone?
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 10:27 am    

One of Rick Aiello's latest postings in the vibrato analysis thread (an image of Quasimodo and a gargoyle) got me thinking...

Lots of different wood and metal configurations have been tried, but has anyone made a steel from stone? Perhaps marble or granite?

How about molded concrete?

I imagine these materials would be quite brittle. But maybe not? Bakelite is also brittle afterall.

Stonemaster? Magnastone? Master of Touch and...

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 10:33 am    

marble?? hmmm....

I've been thinking about remodeling the downstairs bathroom, and don't want the nice marble sink top to go to waste....

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 10:40 am    

My friend Ken Parker built one of his Fly proto-types out of concrete (body only). It was mostly just for fun and to let a few neighborhood kids decorate it. I played it, but I don't recall it sounding particularly special. Just say no to stone guitars, although a marble console might be cool-looking.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 11:09 am    

My favorite bar is made from Zirconium. Great sound and so quiet.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 11:12 am    

Where did you get a Zirconium bar? I'm droolin', over here...

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 2:21 pm    

Ya mean something like this ...

Kevin ... the Zirconia bars were the "brain child" of PSG innovator Ed Packard and PSG virtuoso Bill Stafford.

Zirconia (zirconium oxide) ... is a ceramic material. I understand these bars were very expensive ... but also hear they were worth every penny.

They no longer make them ...

I think some PSG guys were tryin' to get Mr. Packard and Mr. Stafford to make some more ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 04 March 2005 at 02:29 PM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 2:35 pm    

L.T. Zinn has one of those Zirconium bars. I tried it. It's the ultimate bar! Smooth clean sounding, high ends, low ends, feels good in your hand, looks extremely cool, slides smoothly on the strings, quiet. The perfect blend of a Red Rajah/Phoenix and a chrome bar.

IMHO if they made them again everyone would throw away their current bars and use these.

Maybe the government is restricting these - trying to protect fair competition in the steel bar market.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 2:58 pm    

Being a "bar-a-holic" ... I followed the discussions over there in the PSG section about these rascals.

Seems that at the time ... they had access to the machinery, materials, etc ... to make a limited run possible.

Now it seems the start-up cost would be very high ... since they no longer have access to the equipment ...

Something like that ...

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 05 March 2005 at 07:12 PM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 4:26 pm    

Diversify Rick -

Every steel guitar manufacturer also offers accessories. You can become the king of both cast steels as well as Zirconium bars!

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 10:45 am    

6 posts using the word bar and stone - and not one joke from Howard. What is the world coming to????????

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 5:52 am    

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the tone of something as dense as stone sound too hi-fi? Of all the guitars that I've ever heard that were made of very dense, heavy woods, the sound was extremely sterile sounding, with pretty much no resonance. Conversely, something like vintage, aged and very lightweight swamp ash sounds incredible, with the light, resonant wood providing very complex and juicy harmonic overtones.

I don't own a bakelite Ricky, but even though that material is dense, it's also somewhat porous too, isn't it (albeit, on an extremely micro scale)?

Likewise, wouldn't a guitar made out of, say, stainless steel not sound nearly as good as cast aluminum (like Rick's guitars, for example), for the same reasons?

It seems I recall reading somewhere that Gibson put the hard maple cap on top of the mostly mahogany Les Paul to bring out and give the highs more definition that an all mahogany guitar doesn't have. But, an LP made completely out of that maple would not sound very good at all, and sound too brittle and sterile.

I basically have NO idea of what I'm talking about, so please forgive my ramblings. It's just that this subject is quite intriguing to me!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 6:32 am    

Those bars are not of any special material. I have one and my educated friends at the university tell me they are made from the jaw bone of an ass.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 6:49 am    

That "Plastercaster" of mine was part of my original molding process for the Dustpans ... actually a failed experiment ...

It wasn't ever ment to be "strung up"

Basically ... solids come in two "flavors":

Amorphous solids have no "long range" order ... no repeating patterns ... very similar to liquids ... just in a less energenic state.

EX) Glass and natural rubber.

Crystalline solids are highly ordered arrays of repeating units (unit cells) ... arranged to form precise 3-D configurations ... lattices.

EX) Diamond, salts and metals

Then there are solids that are "a little of both".

It seems that the more "amorphic" a solid is ... the less "acoustic" it will be.

Wood is basically a network of semi-crystalline cellulose chains embedded in an amorphous matrix of lignin and hemicellulose.

"Carbon Fiber" and Fiberglass ... are kinda similar to wood as far as their macro-structure goes ... strands of material embedded in a amorphous matrix.

Since carbon fiber (graphite-like) is highly "ordered" ... and spun glass is "amorphous" ...

Its not a big surprise that carbon fiber instruments are more "pleasing" to the ear than fiberglass ones.

As far as Phenol-Formaldehyde (Bakelite) goes ... it is an amorphous solid.

Structurally ... it is quite similar to lignin.

There is some speculation that the "sonic" properties of Ricky bakelite guitars is due to the presence of a filler in the matrix of phenol-formaldehyde .. specifically walnut powder (cellulose).

I have a feeling that a "pure" bakelite guitar (no filler) ... would not be as pleasing to the ear.

Sorry for the chemistry lesson ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 08 March 2005 at 07:08 AM.]