The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jules Ah See's Magnatone Triple Eight ?
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 2:26 pm    

At around 22:14 in the sample of Jules that Baz provided, you can hear usage of the Cmaj7 tuning. KCCN radio used Jules' vamp in this tuning on their call sign for many years.

Interesting stuff, you can hear some lydian harmonies being used too.

"'Imi Au Ia 'Oe" beginning at 26:00 almost made me cry.

[This message was edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 18 February 2005 at 02:33 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 2:49 pm    

Not only great playing, but what about Pua's TONE..?
Full bodied but with an edge and instant attack..
not the sort of sound you can get from the type of pick-up placement on the Can-o-puss ... OR the new Remington that Rick Alexander has..where the pick-up is placed (IMHO) much too far from the bridge..
What think you Jeff ?

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 4:10 pm    

Cool Mp3s.
I would reconsider the refinishing if I were you, you can't replace an original finish and the monetary worth will plummet.

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 4:18 pm    

Yes, but Baz is a musician who will play the thing and not a collector.

Baz, I love the frypan tone... there's nothing that will cut quite like it. The Canopus definitely can't do it. Rick Aiello's dustpans can! For single note work I always gravitate back to the frypan.

I just noticed that Pua actually scats behind his solo in Chickadee. I reiterate... what a bunch of jazzophiles. I'll bet he had sunglasses on in the studio at 10:00 pm too.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2005 3:52 am    

Will refinishing make it play better?

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 3:10 pm    

Baz,
You made my day. Just hearing Jules Ah See playing Sand took me to steel guitar heaven for a short time.

Before moving to the mainland in August 1974, I lived in Waikiki. I had sold my house and wanted to stay a few months in Waikiki before leaving for the Mainland (temporary insanity), just to experience life there in transition.

I heard Pua Almeida, Billy Hew Len play quite a bit. It seemed their styles were similar and they did play a lot of jazz. In the 60’s I heard Barney Isaacs and Mel Abe play, in their more soft, sweet style, then came Jerry Byrd playing in the Blue Dolphin room in 1974. I was amazed at his smoothness, but it did have a tad of country in it. But the steel guitarist that has always amazed me with that Hawaiian steel sound I like best is Jules. So thanks again Baz.

One of the places I frequently visited was the Moana Banyan Tree courtyard. There, Pua Almeida was playing his steel and singing with his group. What I saw appeared to be a D-4 Fender String Master. What caught my attention was the very pronounced way that the instrument was slanted .... forward and downward at an extreme angle. I had never seen anyone slant an instrument in that extreme position before so it caught my attention. Nor have I seen anyone since, so it evidently didn’t catch on.

It does appear to be a comfortable position because the wrists were not angled. Maybe it was a more restful position because he played a lot of steel. At the time that I saw Pua, I never saw him playing his frypans.

For all Hawaiian purist, the full title of Hoe Hoe is Hoe Hoe Na Waa.

Aloha,
Don

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 6:35 pm    

THose are awesome cuts, Baz! Thanks so much for posting them...Especially the live at the Tapa Room! That style - of the Alfred Apaka show with Jules on the steel - is my favorite. Wish I could have seen them perform every night!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 7:08 pm    

Don.. If you like Jules take a listen to the files here .. http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/Jules-Barney-Danny%20Stewart/

and Here
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/Authentic%20Hawaiian%20Guitar/
But try to ignore the SILLY vibes player (Yves Roche)

Enjoy..
Baz

BTW Of course you understand that these files are for "Educational" purposes only and are meant to be used for reference purposes !!!

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 8:26 pm    

Thank you, Baz for making this music accessible to all of us.

In the clips I heard the steeling of Walter Wailehua, Joe Custino and female multi-instrumentalist Lovey Lui as well.

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 9:06 am    

I didn't know How D'Ya Do had lyrics! And of course, no one can sing it like the Hawaiian Village Serenaders!

Baz, thanks again for posting it! I will treasure this performance forever. It's the exact "niche" of my favorite musical stylings...for die hard fans of this style, this performance is heaven!

Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo!

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 11:57 am    

FYI:

JULES AH SEE

BORN: JUNE 19, 1924

DIED: JUNE 12, 1960

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 2:49 pm    

I just wanted to send a mahalo nui loa to Basil for sharing this great music with the forum. Jules musical style live on through his nephew Duke Ching. "The Duke" has been a real inspiration to the Hawaiian steel guitar clubs here on the mainland.

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2005 2:00 am    

Man, i love the Tapa room stuff! But i'm confused. Is that Jules Ah See or Pua playing? Whoever it is, is one of my new favorites. He has an amazing right hand. Fantastic sense of rhythm. Thanks Baz!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2005 2:49 am    

Dan....
The Tapa Room is Jules with Alfred Apaka and his Seranaders.. http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/taparoomlive.mp3

the other stuff is Pua..
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/pualive1973.mp3 http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/hoehoe.mp3 http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/chickadee.mp3

I thought it might save scrolling to find it if I re-posted the links..
Baz.

[This message was edited by basilh on 22 February 2005 at 02:50 AM.]

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2005 10:31 am    

OK, thanks.

BTW, there is a new CD out called "Drifting & Dreaming" by Felix Mendelssohn and his Hawaiian Serenaders. 26 original mono recordings 1940-1950.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 1:07 am    

HI BAZ

NOW THAT YOU HAVE HAD YOUR TRIPLE NECK MAGNATONE FOR A WHILE, WHY DON'T YOU GIVE US A REPORT ON IT?

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR IT?

IT LOOKED LIKE A GREAT BUY.

HAPPY STEELING,

DON