The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel With Cam on Nut
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 10:09 am    

Has anyone ever seen a lap steel with a tuning cam at the nut? It appears to be user manufactured with a matching small amplifier. On the cam is a turn knob marked A, E, E6th depending which way you turn the cam. It has a cast aluminum nameplate marked "Master Custom" and the amp has a wooden overlay on the grill with a large "M". The amazing thing about it is the wonderfull tone that it gets when you play it through a modern amp.

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 10:52 am    

Lyle, usually those things are behind the bridge, not at the nut. I would love to see a photo of the device you describe. If you're interested in these pitch changers, check out my post about the Hise and DeArmond units: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/005939.html

At least one European company made similar changers (Hagstrom?). Maybe yours is one of those.

Lyle Clary

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 10:16 am    

Hey Soybean, what a coincedience. I live near the SOYBEAN CAPITAL OF THE WORLD,Decatur Illinois, ADM, AE Staleys and others. Back to that lap steel. I would bet my next pension check that it was either made by or for the player by a pretty good machinist. It just does not look company manufactured. There are some cast aluminum parts as well as machined. The cam is definitely at the nut which turns horozontially on three or four of the strings. Plus there are some vertical set screws which can adjusted to place individual tension down upon these same strings. Send me your snail mail address and I will take some detailed analog pictures with my 35mm. I am not digital yet.

------------------

Dan Sawyer

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 2:50 am    

Lyle, in case you didn't see them, here are some completed ebay auctions for Stringtone changers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7303092091&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7302869995&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=621&item=7301656544&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Your changer sounds really interesting. Someone was very enterprising to make their own changer. BTW, soybean is a nickname for my last name of Sawyer.

Thanks for the generous offer. I'm sending you my address.

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 12:31 pm    

Framus in Germany made a bridge with 3-position cams on every string - I have a D8 like that and it works well and sounds pretty good.

------------------
John Kavanagh
D-8, acoustic 8
mostly G6 and D13

Dan Sawyer

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 7:24 pm    

Thanks John. Framus was the name i couldn't remember. Those come up on eBay, but not very often.

Lyle Clary

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 10:28 am    

I have yet to see a changer on the nut other than the one I have. Thanks for the response.

------------------